STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of September 12, 2012 meeting

Present:
William Lynch, Shirley Peck, Kimberley Kaiser, Robert Krack (minutes), Irina Radeva, Edward Suarez, Frederick Onorato, Alejandro Arencibia

Information Sharing

LSM- Weeding of the Reference collection continues at LSM. The Reference librarian assistant Anna-Marie C. Klose is emailing Eddie lists of reference items ready to be pulled and sent to Annex. Once the weed is completed, the collection will be shifted forward to empty out the remaining aisles on the tiled area. Those aisles will be removed to expand the dining/table area in Reference.

Training of new student workers is underway. They will be dealing with the backlog in shelving on the sorting shelves. This will allow Eddie to continue the Bound Periodical shift on the 3rd floor, which is halfway completed.

The leaks over the second floor collection are covered in the meeting's first agenda item.

ALEX- At Alexander we had two major water leaks over the Summer, one in May and one in August. The water leak in May was very severe and several hundred books in the Z collection were water damaged. The leak in August was much slower but about one hundred books were affected by the water.

We also finished cleaning up the stacks on 2A and the 3rd floor and finished the Government Documents shift. The DOC collection is now meets fire code and has enough space to accommodate the older INT and FOR collections when they are reclassified.

After completing both of the previous projects we measured 2B in preparation for a shift and have recently started shifting the PQ's. There should be enough space to alleviate some of the pressure on growing areas, but other areas will have very little space in the coming years. There is a plan to move cinema studies materials from Alex to Douglass that will have a large impact on the amount of space available for the rest of the floor. Jeff, Irina and Rob met with Judy Gardner to discuss ways to create space for our collections and hopefully we can find more solutions to make enough space for the growing areas of our collection.

We are also discussing options to move the books that are under the area affected by the frequent water leaks by reorganizing the 3rd floor collections. Those options are still in the planning stage, but the seriousness of the continued water leaks requires a long term solution to this problem.

Kilmer- Kilmer has been very busy since the beginning of the school year. The new Livingston apartments have opened and are bring many more students into the library. Kilmer staff is in the process of training about 15 new students. Once their training is complete, they will be a big help with working on the Kilmer duplicates project. Kim did a test run of this project and withdrew about 70 extra copies of books from our stacks. All had very low circulation numbers and will be donated to Better World Books. Since we are down one staff member, we all have been spending extra time on the circulation desk. Kim completed about a fourth of the quarterly missing books report and looks forward to having extra help with this task when the students are trained. Kilmer also shifted the rec read collection to span over 6 more shelves in order to allow for more growth.

Douglass- Douglass is still trying to catch up with shelving left over from the big carpet installation hold-up this summer. We made strides the last few weeks of the summer, but now returns are picking up again and certain sections (particularly in the Music Library) are being used quite heavily.

Unfortunately the lack of returning student workers is only serving to delay things (not limited to shelving). I think we only have 5 or 6 returning students, so I will be helping our student coordinator Chiaki in the coming weeks with some training.

Over the last few weeks Bill has been corresponding with Jamie and checking on periodical titles for her. It seems like we've made it through the worst (though we've said that before), though.

Finally, and most importantly, we have been working on measurements and projections for the eventual combination of the Douglass and Music Libraries. Our ground floor (2nd floor) will run from M through Z in continuous fashion. We will also be adding around 6,000 cinema studies transfers from Alexander. Our basement level (1st floor) will run from A through L. All GV items, formerly of Douglass and currently of Music, will be moved once again downstairs to be incorporated with the rest of the Gs. Obviously this means immense shifting when the time comes, and it will also mean the potential interfiling of large subsections - Douglass and Music REF, as well as FOLIO will need to be somehow combined and shelved together.

I'm sure there will be many more updates about this in the coming months.

Leaks and building updates

Eddie updated the group on the situation at the Physics library. The library had a mold outbreak two years ago which was caused by a small water leak on to the periodicals collection. The periodicals are housed in compact shelving which does not allow as much light or air circulation as regular shelves. This coupled with high humidity caused the mold to spread rapidly through the collection.

The moldy items were removed and remediated after the initial outbreak.

At the end of the spring semester of 2012 there were water leaks in two spots above the periodical collection, which again lead to a major mold outbreak. Even though the water only leaked for a short time, the high humidity and unlit environment lead to another major mold outbreak.

Almost 3,000 volumes of periodicals had to be boxed and sent out for remediation.

The ceiling of the Physics library is being replaced to eliminate the leaking problems. The severity of the mold outbreak also requires that the Physics library clean out their ventilation system to ensure that the air circulating through the system does not spread more mold throughout the building.

LSM had an issue with water leaking in its electronic classroom. An air conditioning system leaked condensation down a metal brace in the ceiling of the electronic classroom. The leak went unnoticed until it dripped through the floor, in to the reference librarians' offices. Between the low temperatures and the high humidity the leaking water caused a cold mist to form in the electronic classroom. Plastic was deployed to protect the books in the affected area and the leak has since been repaired.

Kim reported that there were occasional leaks in one of the study rooms at Kilmer, but there were no library materials in that area.

Alexander library has experienced two major incidents with leaking on the third floor in the Z collection. The first incident occurred after the end of finals in the spring semester. A large amount of condensation poured through the seam of the mechanical room and rained down onto the collection. Hundreds of books were damaged by this water leak. Alex sent out over one hundred books for freeze drying and set up a drying area in the staff lounge near the shipping department. The drying project required additional tables from the 4th floor to have enough space to dry all of the books and took up nearly the entire room.

The second incident occurred the week before the beginning of the fall semester and was due to multiple causes. An outside contractor was hired to work on the HVAC system in the mechanical room above the third floor stacks. The leaks began on Tuesday when the condensation being siphoned off into buckets was spilled onto the floor and leaked through the concrete seam. Facilities had sealed the floor and installed levies to prevent additional water damage after the incident in May, but they were not able to seal the seam underneath the large HVAC units. The water came through the areas under the units and dripped down on to about four ranges worth of materials. The ceiling tiles helped prevent the water from causing as much damage as it could have, but about fifty or sixty books had to be removed for in house drying. Plastic was deployed over the stacks to prevent further damage to the collection.

The next day, Wednesday, the drainage system in the HVAC room overflowed due to a blockage in the drainage pipes. Luckily the contractors were on site and informed library staff of the leak before much damage was done. Rutgers Facilities used a hose with pressurized air to force the blockage through and restore drainage.

While inspecting the area on Thursday morning Jeff Teichmann and Rob witnessed another leak begin near the already affected area. Additional plastic was deployed over the stacks and about forty to fifty additional books were damaged by water.

Until this point the plastic had been deployed over the collection as is the procedure for dealing with water emergencies. When it became apparent that this problem would be ongoing throughout the duration of the HVAC work Jeff asked the contractors to put a plastic canopy over the entire aisle so that it would prevent any additional damage to the collection without cutting off access to the materials and air circulation.

The leak continued through the Friday before the Labor Day weekend. Irrigation was added to the system to drain the water that had begun slowly pooling on top of the plastic sheeting. Rutgers Facilities would make periodic inspections throughout the Labor Day weekend and notify staff if the leak started to damage the books.

Judy Gardner and Alex staff are exploring options to protect the materials from these continuing leaks, which have periodically occurred in the same aisle for over a decade. Judy met with Jeff, Rob and Irina and discussed different options on how we might prevent damage in the future rather than just reacting to it when it occurs.

Floor map template and aisle spreadsheets

Eddie submitted the group's current work on the floor map project to Judy and she gave feedback on the draft. Next Eddie and Judy will have to meet with Mary Ann Koruth to discuss our current design proposal and see if there are any changes that need to be made to the template.

Missing books training video

Eddie sent the current script to Rose Barbalace of the student training group. Rose liked the content but thought that the video might run a bit long. The script is fourteen pages and is written in screenplay format which runs approximately one minute per page of material. Rose suggested that we try to keep the video to ten minutes as a time limit.

Because it would be difficult to condense the script by 1/3rd, Rob suggested that members of the group do a cold read of the script and time it to determine how long the video would be. Eddie also wanted to test some of the audio and visual equipment. Eddie suggested that we should wait until we were further into the semester when the training of new student workers subsided.

End of the year statistics

The group briefly discussed the end of the year statistics. Shelving trends continue to decrease, with the largest impact being on bound periodicals. Eddie theorized that the decrease might be attributed to scanning, but said that it could not be entirely the case as scanned materials would also have to be shelved.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/collection_mgt_group/minutes/collection_mgt_group_12_09_12.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)