Minutes of January 11, 2017 meeting
- Robert Krack (Alex), Shirley Peck (Alex), Devin Gingery (Douglass & Chang), Soo Lee (Kilmer), Anthony Timek (LSM), and Jamie Smith (TSB)
- Fred Onorato (Alex), Alejandro Arencibia (Dana), Elizabeth Ciallella (Smith), Irina Radeva (Douglass), Jacquelyn Tasker (Art),
Elsa Alves (Institute of Jazz Studies), and Theresa Macklin (Camden).
Please see end of minutes. The first meeting of the year was mostly about discussing member's updates and goals for the upcoming year.
- The meeting ended at 2:30 pm
- The Government Documents shift has been completed with the exception of integrating some volumes of Census material that used to be shelved at the Reference desk into the main Census collection. Shelving has been unusually light this year, and returns from Interlibrary Loan have been fewer than previous years.
- All staff and students at the Alexander library are also participating in the card pulling project. This project involves physically checking all books in the Alexander library's circulating collection to remove old check out cards from the back pockets of the books.
- Goals for 2017:
- Work with selectors to reduce the amount of books on the third floor Stacks in preparation for a major collection shift. We will also reduce the number of ranges set aside for sorting shelves to create more space for growth and collection use.
- I have finished updating the STACKS, FOLIO and CAMEOS collections call range labels and range guides at DANA.
- Plans for 2017, so far:
- Updating REF and GOV DOCS and Periodical collections call range labels and range guides.
- Continue Inventory Project.
- Finish large STACK collection shift (J-PNs) to accommodate overflow items from REF.
- Irina is still settling into her new Collection Management role at Douglass. She will be working with Chiaki on refreshing the students on call numbers, fronting and shelf reading. Some upcoming projects are fronting PQ-Z section on the Ground Floor in preparation for a mini-shifting R-Z. Additionally, students will shelf read the basement floor (A-LC), since it was recently shifted. Other collections that will need attention are the musical scores and Reference.
- Continuing the Annex cataloging project, creating brief records for gov. doc. monographs.
- Plans for 2017:
- Weed Ref. and Per. collections with selectors help.
- Shifting HD and HF section of Stacks.
- Continuing partial shift in PER to make room for the active title Endocrinology Clinics, two transfer titles, and random overflow volumes
- Completed several PER mini-shifts to inter-shelve random overflow
- Completed 930 Validation Project
- Now responsible for scanning journal titles of volumes used by patrons
- All other CM work continues
- 2017 Goals:
- Complete at least one major shifting project: DOCUS, DOCNJ, PER, or STACKS
- Continue to shelve backlog of Gov. Doc material
- Begin large shifting project.
- Work with students: Removing oversize books found in STACKS.
- Continue my relabeling project.
- Having Chantel refresh students on call numbers to reduce the large amount of books that are reshelved during shelf reading.
- Incorporate card pulling project.
- Shifting P-PZ before the semester is over.
- Come to New Brunswick for monthly meetings.