STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of April 18, 2016 Meeting

Present:
Karen Hartman, Rhonda Marker, Aletia Morgan, Laura Bowering Mullen, Caryn Radick (recorder), Minglu Wang, Krista White, Tao Yang, Yingting Zhang
Excused:
Judy Cohn, Jane Otto, Janice Pilch

1. Assistant Vice President's Report (Cohn, read by Mullen)

Affordable Textbooks: RUL is kicking off a task force to coordinate our efforts around open and affordable textbooks. This group will be led by Lily Todorinova wearing her Undergraduate Experience Librarian hat. The group will be responsible for developing the plan for (and then coordinating) President Barchi's affordable textbook grant program, which is a system-wide initiative that needs to launch this fall. This group will be busy over the next few months with identifying open and affordable textbook content, planning and executing the grant program, developing assessment metrics, educating library and teaching faculty, recruiting faculty to convert the course content, and working with the NJPIRG students who made the university program possible.

Recap of March 8th Cabinet Meeting, re: CSC topics:

SOAR/OA Push: Agreement that RUL lacks sufficient resources to support a “push” for deposits to SOAR. Library directors, in consultation with their faculty and staff and appropriate infrastructure units, are responsible for prioritizing this initiative. Materials (talking points and power point) are to be distributed to liaisons.

RUL Journal Publishing & Submission to DOAJ: Approved registering RUL journals in the directory of open access journals (DOAJ), listing RUL as a publisher. Cabinet agreed that no new journals will be added to the RUL publishing platform at this time.

Guiding Principles

A sub-group of Cabinet met and drafted guiding principles to be shared and discussed among various groups and committees throughout RUL. These have not, as yet, been approved/adopted by Cabinet. If CSC wants further discussion about these, an item can be placed on the CSC May agenda.

May Meeting agenda item: Re-thinking the CSC Sakai site:

The CSC Sakai site has not been active or updated for some time. Is the site still needed? Should there be a change in its focus? The following options, among others, should be considered:

Update the existing Sakai site to be a working forum for the committee

Or, change the focus of the site to be a Scholarly Communications+ site (similar to what Tao has created in Selectors+) and making it available to a larger group of librarians who will need to be informed on scholarly communications topics, programs, communications to departments, etc.

Or, have 2 Sakai sites – one for CSC only, and the other for all those needing to receive and those interested in receiving communications and updates on scholarly communications.

Each of the options will have an associated level of updating and maintenance. This should be viewed in the context of CSC’s role as a faculty committee. Should there be a working group or task force charged with performing the work previously assigned within the committee, the role and purpose of the sites could be subject to change.

(Mullen also read updates from the AVP report on the chat task force and the RUL master space planning process.)

2. AUL Report (Yang)

Collections Analysis Group. Cohn asked Yang to talk about the process of revising the charge for the Collections Analysis Group (CAG). CAG had been a subgroup of the Library Resource Council and was embedded in the committee. After the faculty bylaws changed we realized that there should be a systemwide group working on collections issues, so CAG would be a natural candidate to play that role. After December's special faculty meeting (where councils became advisory bodies) the plan was put forward to make/elevate CAG to a systemwide library group. The plan was endorsed by LRC in January. The draft charge for the CAG went through an extensive review process and was approved by cabinet in April.

Affordable textbooks. The university is going to give the library funding to purchase the annual front list of Springer Nature Ebooks on science, technology, and medicine. This will expand and sustain the availability of affordable textbooks in the university, because Springer has an affordable textbook program.

Mullen mentioned that there should be another discussion about open access collection development, to follow up on our Oct. special meeting on that topic.

3. Chair's Report (Mullen)

CIC visit: The April 12 CSC breakout session with Kim Armstrong, Director of Library Initiatives for the Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC) went very well. Members introduced CSC by going over the Information for Researchers/Scholarly Communication web page, which was a good approach, and it is hoped that Armstrong left with the understanding that we want to work with other CIC members on scholarly communication and open access issues. Rutgers, for instance, is a leader in the CIC in OA policymaking and implementation. Our webpage is represented on the CIC website at: https://www.cic.net/projects/library/scholarly-communication/resources-at-cic-universities

They also have a page where “Open Access Repositories” are listed for each university and we will need to add RUcore and likely SOAR and possibly others there. Some universities do have multiple entries: https://www.cic.net/projects/library/scholarly-communication/open-access-repositories

Marker will recommend how RUcore will be represented on the CIC page.

Funder Plans. In terms of all of the federal funder plans, it is reported that they are 98% complete as of March 8. Likely, we will hear more about various aspects of the open access requirements for OA to publications and data that are mandated by each funder included under the White House Directive.

Future CSC Meetings. There will be two more meetings scheduled for 2015-2016 in May and June. In May, CSC will discuss the ORCID implementation and may discuss open access textbooks (if it’s ready to be discussed). We will finalize for recommendation all revisions to the CSC webpage decided at today’s meeting. Mullen suggests a June special meeting on Data that she will plan with Cohn. Similar to our OA Collection development meeting, we would want to invite everyone involved in our various data initiatives to attend and have a wide ranging, structured discussion on our data initiatives. This meeting would take place at our usual CSC meeting time, June 20, in the UL Conf Room. More information on this will be forthcoming.

Of Interest: MIT has merged collection development and scholarly communication departments in a more holistic approach (under scholarly communication) which is creating good conversation.

Publication. Mullen was invited to publish in an issue of Against the Grain that focused on the future of the journal as a package. Her article, with David Ross of SAGE is entitled "Publishers and Institutional Repositories: Forging a Future that Facilitates Green Open Access for Researchers, Funders and Institutions" and is available at http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.7282/T3XK8HMN. Mullen continues to work with publishers and others to try to help them understand institutional OA policies and what we need.

Go, Open Access! Mullen announced that the trotter named "Open Access" won a race and would race that night at Pocono Downs! Tweeting about OA's adventures may be a good way to publicize open access.

4. Round Robin Updates: SciENcv sessions (Zhang), ORED Newsletter update and call (Morgan), ORCID Update (Mullen)

SciENcv (Zhang):

After May 2015, when the new format of NIH biosketch was implemented, people were asking for training on Endnote and were unaware of SciENcv. SciENcv is Science Experts Network Curriculum Vitae, "a researcher profile system for all individuals who apply for, receive or are associated with research investments from federal agencies." (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sciencv/). It lets data populate, so more science agencies are starting to use it. SciENcv is targeted for people applying for NIH funding, but other science agencies will use it. Mullen noted the strong attendance at Zhang’s workshop in LSM on this topic.

This was followed by a discussion about issues with offering free workshops, particularly the sign up to drop out/no show ratio. White suggested the possibility of doing online tutorials and workshops and doing so in smaller chunks so that users can use them as time, their schedules, and their needs allow.

ORED Newsletter (Morgan): Members of CSC have had five items published in the Office of Research and Economic Development (ORED) newsletter this year. Ron Jantz will be sending draft of one about DOIs. One from Janice on copyright is also pending. This has been a good avenue for CSC to get word of its activities out. CSC is interested in archiving these ORED newsletter items about library services on the CSC webpage.

ORCID (Mullen): ORCID update. Otto and Mullen had been asked for a meeting to offer more info about ORCID for ORED, which is interested in linking it into other university-based systems. The University Senate Passed the ORCID resolution in February and it's still working its way through channels. For ORCID, the Senate is in an advisory role to the University Administration and Barchi's response is still forthcoming. There is no delay as this process usually takes a few months. ORCID is moving quickly throughout the scholarly communication landscape with publishers and funders starting to require its use.

5. SOAR Update (Marker)

Marker circulated a report on SOAR (Scholarly Open Access at Rutgers). 737 objects are now in SOAR. Between July 1, 2015 and April 17, 2016 there have been 21,912 downloads, with 659 unique items representing 89% of the items. Some of the most popular downloads are articles which are not available elsewhere.

Mullen wondered whether the discussion about Academic Analytics currently going on at the university might impact people's feelings about how SOAR gathers statistics. An opportunity exists to talk about the positive ways to use altmetrics. There have been concerns raised about SOAR articles having different DOIs than publisher versions, and the presentations are a good opportunity to explain about this issue also. Mullen also noted that when an academic department requests a session on SOAR, she and Otto always involve the library subject specialist and work to tailor the presentation to the department, and often present with the liaison. This has produced a lot of engagement from faculty attendees due to the disciplinary focus of the presentations. Also, thanks to the generosity of an Open Access Week grant, there was some money left to purchase supplies used for these presentations and promotions of SOAR. Handouts for presentations, with materials available in all major library unit admin offices for printing, include the green fact sheet, a copy of the official Rutgers Open Access Policy, and SOAR bookmarks. SOAR pens are also available. All handouts may be printed directly from the SOAR website. Departmental presentations are ongoing, with more scheduled in coming weeks. Some presentation opportunities have resulted from Mullen and Otto’s invitations to present to meetings of Chairs. Everything is working smoothly with SOAR, and deposits are coming in and are being handled very well.

6. CSC Webpage: Scholarly Networking Panel, Complete Webpage overview and discussion of enhancements (Wang and all).

Scholarly Networking Tools (Wang). Last year, USC and SAPAC coordinated a presentation on scholarly networking tools. After that discussion, attendees of the presentation recommended that CSC should create a Scholarly Networking Tools panel on our Information for Researchers website, and to coordinate and provide services on these tools following the service model used for supporting citation management tools. At this meeting, Wang circulated the revised text for the Scholarly Networking Tools page that has been discussed through emails among CSC members since February. New responses focused on editorial issues and wording. Also part of the discussion was what library support in this area would be. It will involve talking about options, providing information, and scheduling "best practice" sessions. CSC offered revisions, and Wang will finalize all aspects of the panel, preparing its final form for Cohn to bring to Cabinet. After including all suggested and vetted revisions, Wang will send the final panel out to CSC for its last look (no major further revisions at that point). Wang reminded anyone else interested in being on the contact list for scholarly networking tools to let her know. Mullen agreed to join the email contact list for the page.

Complete Webpage Overview. Mullen shared Otto's page view statistics (appended) for the Information for Researchers and Scholarly Communication Web page (http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/services_researchers). The panels went up at different times, so comparing total visits doesn't convey use. When looking at visits per month, the Open Access Policy and SOAR page is highest with 93 visits per month.

Suggestions for rearranging and refashioning the page included grouping panels together in accordance to where in the research process they occur, and moving bottom level items higher up to see if being more visible impacts views.

For now, the page will be reordered:

First Row: Citation Management Tools; Research Impact; Scholarly Networking tools; Digital Humanities,

Second Row: Open Access Policy and SOAR; Data; Copyright; NIH Public Access

Third Row: RUcore, Digitization Projects, Open Access Journals, Digital Curation and Research Center

Issues: Marker will be reviewing the DCRC panel, and will make recommendations to update or re-engineer it in to make sure it is in line with the other services. Everyone responsible for a page needs to ensure that it’s up to date. Marker will be responsible for the RUCore page originally authored by Otto. Please check all panels:

There is a link [https://goo.gl/0o5YSz] for the panel template on Sakai. Wang will be on administrative leave next semester, so Zhang will take over responsibility for the CSC page in her absence.

Wang also shared the typical panel creation workflow and librarians on the Information for Researchers website email list:

The entire CSC website has an overview group email that is intended for any user that may have a question that does not fit into a single service panel:

Email list: rul_research_information@rulmail.rutgers.edu

Includes: Mullen, Otto, Marker, Wang, Pilch, Radick, Beard, Jantz, Zhang, Morgan, Womack

7. Committee business looking toward next year (Mullen)

CSC will need a new chair for next year as the committee will be continuing on for now, regardless of recent changes to faculty committees. Mullen will step down as chair, but continue on as science representative for next year. Both Cohn and Yang will stay with the committee as well. Anyone interested in being chair should talk to Mullen, Yang, or Cohn. Current appointees should let Yang know if they intend to continue next year; Yang will work with Cohn to appoint members.

8. Announcements and agenda setting(All)

Announcements:

White: White's article “Calculating all that Jazz: Accurately Predicting Digital Storage Needs Utilizing Digitization Parameters for Analog Audio and Still Image Files" was published in Library Resources & Technical Services (Volume 60, No 2, 2016)
https://journals.ala.org/lrts/article/view/5961/7582

It was also featured in was featured in DHlib blog.
http://acrl.ala.org/dh/2016/04/14/resource-calculating-all-that-jazz-accurately-predicting-digital-storage-needs-utilizing-digitization-parameters-for-analog-audio-and-still-image-files/

White is also giving two webinars on digital preservation for preservation week April.

From Cassette to Cloud:
http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/webinar/042616

Preserving Your Digital Life (with Isaiah Beard):
http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/webinar/042816

Zhang. Zhang and Yu-Hung Lin have published “Writing a Wikipedia Article: Cultural Competency in Health Care” in Medical Reference Services Quarterly. 2016;35(2):175-186.

Morgan. Morgan presented at a career workshop for Research office for NSF career grants. This is an early-career scholar program to encourage subject research and has educational component.

Wang. The research office in Newark is coordinating with Bonnie Fong, Wang, and Ann Watkins to give a data workshop for faculty.

Mullen: Mullen attended a Society for Scholarly Publishers' Regional Event on Open Access and Institutional Repositories last week.

Adjourn; next meeting May 23, 2016.

Appendix: Page views of CSC webpage to date



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/com_of_schol-comm/minutes/schol-comm_16_04_18.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2017, Rutgers University Libraries