STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of January 11, 2006 Meeting

Present:
K. Denda, M. Kesselman(absent), A. Montanaro, L. Mullen, J. Nettleman, C. Pecoraro (recorder), G. Smulewitz, C. Sterback

AGENDA

  1. Review minutes of last meeting
  2. Discuss chart
  3. Outline process for ejournals
  4. ALA

1. Review of minutes:

[When the website is active, minutes will be posted (AM)]
Minutes were approved.

Jim sent the team a relevant article-
Title:Electronic Resources and Web Sites: Replacing a Back-end Database with Innovative's Electronic Resource Management.Source:Information Technology & Libraries; Dec2005, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p163-169

It was noted that the conclusion in this article summed up the issues we have encountered and was a good overview of what we have been discussing.

2. Discuss chart

(if you look at the chart while reading these notes, it makes more sense)

[The chart was based on a template from T.Jewell presentation (viewed during last meeting), revised by AM, GS, CP, CS with RU specific procedures and to outline what RU currently does for processing databases]

-Objective: review chart. Do we agree with the process? Outline the major steps; indicate where we think an ERM would help.

Investigation:

Provide Access:

Re: Web pages- MIT populates AtoZ list, research guides, etc with information from their ERM which supposedly places the resource in appropriate categories.

** QUESTION: How does an ERM handle resource? Does it recognize where a resource would live? This is an important question for us to consider and investigate.

Administer

Provide Support

Evaluate/Monitor

-What about the print component for ordering e-resources? It was added to the Chart under 'Provide Access'

-KD: we need to look at people who will be used to implement this resource; AM: technical systems analyst/coordinator who would work with: openurl resolver, ERM, federated search tool, Repository.
-Roles will change; depends on 3rd Party provider versus ILS provided resource

We decided to skip #3 (Outline process for ejournals and ebooks- but cp will review the procedures)

4. DEMOS?

-AM will contact Lesley Brown in Purchasing to find out if an RFI is needed.

-RFI- Request for Information: fact gathering by this group & invited guests, then submit RFP.
-Laura received an invitation to Endeavor's Meridian product at ALA; she also received information about ExLibris's Verde product

5. ALA

Who's going to ALA mid-winter from the group to gather info? -KD, MK, AM, LM, GS

-AM will ask Lesley Brown about whether or not she wants to be included in the demonstrations.

Discussion: should we all go to the demos enmasse? what makes sense?

Product Demos to consider:

Possibly start with Demos next meeting Feb. 8, 2006 9:30am TSB

Notes:

AM- will try to schedule 1 or 2 demos each for Feb. 8th and Feb. 16th -respectively



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/eratf/minutes/eratf_06_01_11.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)