Minutes of October 11, 2006 Meeting
- Kayo Denda, Ann Montanaro(Chair), Laura Mullen(Recorder), Mary Page, Cathy Pecoraro, Gracemary Smulewitz, Bob Warwick.
- Martin Kesselman
- Central Search
- Update on other ERM issues
1. Mock-up of Central Search screen by Sam/Shaun was presented. Name "Searchlight," suggested by Jeanne will be the name of the Rutgers federated search. This was discussed at the previous meeting and agreed to by all. Flashlight icon will identify the search function and group recommended some changes to the look of the icon. Preference for sleeker flashlight and addition of beam of light.
Other issues discussed:
- There will be no replacement of current webpages. Instead, Central Search will be an added function to our webpages.
- It is not possible to put "Searchlight" right on the front page in the white space under the pictures for technical reasons. This placement had been the original recommendation of the committee.
- Things may change as time goes on and the product develops and input from others is taken into account.
- The group will plan a "brown bag" to roll out the demonstration/prototype of "Searchlight" so that everyone in RUL will have a chance to provide feedback about the concept behind our implementation.
- Implementation at RUL does not necessarily follow model of any other library.
- Implementation as group envisions is more "conservative" than some other libraries' use of the product.
- Searchlight will have two modes of use-one will be a "quick search" for the person who wants a few articles on a subject and will search nine databases identified for their full-text, multidisciplinary content. A more advanced search with capability of patron searching across most of RUL's other databases/indexes will be an option for the user and will be labelled "advanced."(See minutes of previous meeting to see criteria for nine databases to be used for the quick search).
- There are problems with the "limits" that the group wished to impose on the nine "quick search" databases. Bob W., after investigation, reported on problems with limiting databases to articles, "peer reviewed" and other suggested subsets of the nine on the quick list. Bob reported on his conversations with Serials Solutions about these issues. Serials Solutions staff are willing to discuss further and Bob will continue the discussion. Group discussed issues with limiting to "peer reviewed" as information provided by the vendor is not always reliable.
- Bob has filled out the initial forms to start the process of working with Central Search on the lists. There are two forms-one is the connection list-do they work with the databases we want/need to federate? Second form is the Central Search customization form which the group will work on in the near future. Issues to be discussed will focus on customization of product, including which fields will be seached in both the quick search and the advanced.
- Bob will use the current alphabetical list of indexes and databases in working with Serials Solutions to see which of them are "federatable."
- Discussion of subject categories on the indexes/databases page- We will be using these lists to prepare the more advanced search version of "Searchlight." Ann will send to CDC a message that needs to be conveyed to all selectors. Selectors will be asked to look over the lists in their respective subject areas to make sure they are current and inclusive.
- Test of Central Search should be ready as originally scheduled for mid-November.
- A "brown bag" will be planned for RUL to explain the test/demo and to allow for feedback from everyone at RUL. Implementation of the product will continue to evolve during test/demo period. Expectation to roll out Searchlight to users in the beginning of spring semester.
The group discussed the mock-up page for Searchlight and recommends the following
changes/additions:(Ann will discuss with Sam)
- Different flashlight icon-more sleek, beam included if possible
- Positioning of the RUL federated search will be found on the website in the following places: in the left hand "gray bar" on the libraries' homepage after "IRIS and other catalogs." The word "Searchlight" will appear there in the gray bar. Under "Find Articles,""Searchlight" will appear on top- before "Indexes and Databases." A recommendation was made to ask for revision of "How to Find an Article" page to include a link to Searchlight.
- Under the name "Searchlight" on the page, on top of the search box itself will be the words "Quick Search of Major Databases."
- "Powered by Central Search" wording will remain.
- In line now reading "Searchlight: Search all of these databases at once-" take out "Searchlight" to read "Search all of these databases at once."
- List of nine databases will remain as is for the initial, quick search implementation.
2. Update of other committee issues:
- Harrasowitz and Serials Solutions are participating in a pilot project on our behalf. The connection is advantageous for our situation.
- License issues: Scanning the licenses will populate the ERM. Content of licenses will be provided to Harrasowitz and pulled together in a standard format.
- Usage statistics is another area for further discussion. Progressive thinking is a must.
- CP mentioned a very positive discussion with the Article Linker specialist at Serials Solutions.
Minutes of this committee's meetings can be found under both "Public Services" and "Technical
Laura Bowering Mullen Oct.16, 2006.