STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of Coordinating Committee Meeting for the Oct. 25, 2000 meeting

Present:
Consoli, R.Gardner, Gaunt, Hancock, Haynes, Langschied, Mardikian, Marker, Olin, P.Page, Sak, Weber, Wilson, Womack
Absent:
Beede, Calhoun
Excused:
Au

Decisions

  1. Minutes of the 9/27 meeting were approved. Wilson introduced guest Jill Nathanson, a SCILS student in her last semester who is doing an independent study with Wilson and Prof. Dan O'Connor at SCILS. As part of this independent study, she is observing at the Alex and Kilmer reference desks. She has a business background (MBA) and is also interested in training issues. Wilson also welcomed R.Gardner, who was invited back to the Coordinating Committee meeting as a member of the Ad Hoc Committee on Faculty Line Use.
  2. Old business:
    1. Draft report of the Ad Hoc Committee on Faculty Line Use (Gaunt, Wilson):

      Wilson and Gaunt reviewed errors to be corrected (from previous meeting's discussion). The Ad Hoc Committee will make these corrections and forward the revised draft to Gaunt, Wilson, and Langschied. They will review and distribute copies to RUL faculty along with the agenda for the 11/10 faculty meeting. Gaunt will lead discussion on this at the faculty meeting, but Ad Hoc Committee members should be there to answer questions.

      Gaunt reviewed the report's recommendations in terms of how we want to proceed with these. Some are already being implemented, while others will need further discussion. Under the section on recruitment, we are already revamping our APPs and job postings to include more dynamic language, and S.Troy has expanded the postings to include many online sources (she has a list of these, but search committees should suggest any additional specialized sites for particular positions). Troy has also begun to compile a database of past applicants for future consideration. The recommendation to establish recruitment relationships with ALA-accredited MLS/MIS programs will need further discussion. We need to learn more about the MIS degree; this will be the topic of our forum after the 11/10 faculty meeting. Streamlining the interview process was referred to PPAAC for recommended procedures. We are already providing greater budgetary support for recruitment efforts. Updating of personnel documents is also underway.

      The section on professional qualifications is where the most discussion is needed. We can't expand credentials for new librarians to include ALA-accredited MIS degrees until we know more about what these degrees encompass and where we're going with our faculty structure. The forum after the faculty meeting should be helpful with this; then the faculty will need to discuss further. The other issues under qualifications still seem unclear in terms of where we want to go with the library faculty. Gaunt has asked Troy to develop a map of the library faculty showing how many tenure-track lines we have at various levels, how many years in rank, how many untenured, how many librarian Vs, etc. This could help us see where we are strong or weak and help map out a strategy showing where we want to go. Gaunt will bring the map to Coordinating Committee for discussion.

      In the section on retention, the committee discussed the issue of mentoring and how we should proceed. Years ago RUL did have a formal mentoring program, but some committee members expressed concern that effective mentoring could not be enforced but depended on type of relationship/chemistry between mentors and mentees. However, we can develop an environment that fosters mentoring relationships. This issue was referred to the Scholarly and Professional Activities Committee for further exploration. The recommendation for revising librarianship criteria (as found in the 2000-2001 Academic Reappointment/Promotion Instructions for University Library Faculty) was referred to the Personnel Policy and Affirmative Action Committee. Revised wording will need to be approved by the RUL faculty and would then go to the Vice President's level for final approval. The recommendation for doing exit interviews needs to be discussed by the faculty to see who should be involved in this procedure. In the interim, the University Librarian and Faculty Coordinator will handle these.

      Recommendations under faculty and staff development should be considered in conjunction with the report of the Steering Committee on Training and Development (just released). We have already begun efforts to allow librarians to participate in digital projects via PROP (Program Reinvention Opportunity Program).

      Procedural recommendation for consultations between the library administration, directors, and appropriate faculty committees on internal redeployment of librarians and staff should be implemented. The library faculty map will help with this.

    2. Update on new posting for AUL position (Gaunt):

      After discussions with various groups, Gaunt has decided the best arrangement for this position is to have the major focus on technological leadership for the libraries, but the position would also include responsibility for cataloging/acquisitions. We can expect a major transition in these technical service functions in the next few years, largely fueled by technology. The search committee has been established, and they will be meeting next week to refine the APP and develop the job posting. The tentative title for the position is AUL for Digital Library Systems Development. We hope to get someone in place as soon as possible in spring semester, so we may begin interviewing prospective candidates as applications come in. There are no people outside the libraries on this search committee, but some may be involved in the interview process.

      Marker is serving on the search committee and noted that she views this position as a "library systems" position in the broad sense of searching for someone who will look at how our various information systems in the libraries fit together. Wilson applauded the new title for this position, while noting that we are still operating under a traditional structure at the top tier of library management--we still have AULs for three traditional areas of service. Maybe it is time to re-evaluate our library structure.

    3. Committee action plans:

      Collection Development Council (Consoli): CDC will continue to work on the goals established last year, most of which represent ongoing activities. These include prioritizing collection development activities (collection evaluation and assessment, prioritizing subject collections, and prioritizing material for cataloging), improving electronic resources selection and procedures, developing a systemwide preservation plan for all formats, creating more subject research guides, revising and implementing a new approval plan, and evaluating and revising the SIRSI acquisition module to improve management information.

      Planning Committee (Olin): Will review APPs in a timely fashion. Committee will also focus on the Digital Library Initiative and its implications for RUL vis-a-vis the mission of the Planning Committee.

      Public Services Council (Weber): PSC is still finalizing its goals for the year.

  3. New business:
    1. Nov. 10, 2000, faculty meeting agenda (Wilson):

      Proposed agenda was approved. Report of the Ad Hoc Committee on Faculty Line Use will be distributed to all faculty with the agenda prior to the meeting. Committee chairs should send their reports via email to the RUL faculty listserv before the meeting. We will try to end the meeting by 11:00, then after a short break we will begin our forum on "MIS or MLS?" (Speaker to be announced).

    2. "An Investment in Learning: A Proposed Plan for Learning, Training, and Professional Development for the Rutgers University Libraries"(Gaunt):

      Gaunt asked for comments on the report of the Steering Committee on Training and Development chaired by Lynn Mullins. The committee will be holding open forums on each campus to solicit feedback, especially regarding the recommendations for a full-time training coordinator, an advisory committee, and the Leadership Institute. Should the coordinator position be faculty? Most members felt this was not necessary for the training position; however, several felt it was important to have a librarian in the Human Resources Office to handle library faculty recruitment and personnel actions. We should take a holistic approach and consider possible restructuring of the HR Office.

      Wilson noted the frequent mention in the report of cooperating with other groups that also offer training at the university–e.g., the Teaching Excellence Centers and Rutgers Computing Services. We should take advantage of the many technical programs offered by the TECs (from basic computer skills to PowerPoint) to build our skills. The TECs are a faculty support service; we should be more aware of what they are offering.

      Mardikian was a member of the Steering Committee and offered some insight into the possible composition and function of the Advisory Committee. This committee could include representatives of functional areas as well as units. Their function would be to make the coordinator aware of the various training needs and also to let him/her know of any local training (including one-to-one) that might be useful to others in RUL.

    3. Committee reports:

      Camden campus (Haynes): Everyone loves networked printing.

      Research Leave Review Committee (Mardikian): Committee has been meeting via email and has reviewed two SRA applications. Will meet in person in December if there are any FASP applications.

      Planning Committee (Olin): Discussed the concept of the new AUL position and sent comments to Gaunt. Began working on action plan.

      Technical Services Council (Sak): Last meeting 10/5. Discussed vacant AUL position, progress of work with Science Direct, and cataloging of both direct receipts and gifts. A.Montanaro provided an excellent review of present databases coupled with amount of concurrent users allowed for each and described the Window Eyes initiative. M.Page provided information on the review of the COMFIL designation. J.Boyle explained networked printing configuration. Next meeting will focus on use of meta-data. Sak will send agenda to Coordinating Committee members (who are invited to attend). Olin has handouts she can share on this topic from the Getty Institute on Sharing Knowledge at UCLA, which she attended this summer.

      Public Services Council (Weber): Had a demonstration of WebFeat, which allows simultaneous searching of websites and databases. If RUL decided on this, we would be the biggest customer. Began discussing goals for the year and spent some time on how a review of reference service could be framed.

      Personnel Policy and Affirmative Action Committee (Marker): Working on the goals of the committee's action plan.

      Collection Development Council (Consoli): Discussed centralization of serials control and guaranteed 24 hr. turnaround for checkin. Had a demonstration of networked printing. Cancellations covered the cost of new serials, but approval plan is a little overspent. There is $350,000 new money for electronic purchases to be distributed as follows: $50,000 held in abeyance, $135,000 for the sciences, $105,000 for the social sciences, $45,000 for humanities, and $15,000 for Susan Beck. Eight items have already been approved for purchase.

      New Brunswick Faculty Council (Consoli): VP Seneca reported that there were a record number of applications last year as well as a record amount of funds raised and record number of grants. Grants are up 12% over a year ago. Students can now register and add/drop online; faculty can post rosters and will soon be able to submit grades online. Overall university enrollment was basically flat from previous year. Enrollment in New Brunswick was down 2% (intentional limit), while enrollment at Newark and Camden increased. The Teaching Conference was another success; 120 faculty attended including librarians.

  4. Report of the University Librarian (Gaunt):

    Attended the ARL business meeting and led discussion on scholarly communication. Some institutions (examples Iowa State and Duke) are using materials from the Change website to educate their faculty. There was also a panel on preservation issues. The meeting ended with a two-day symposium on service quality. The SERVQUAL methodology was developed at the University of Texas and has been adapted for libraries as LIBQUAL. It is based on asking customers to rate their desired level of service and their perceived level of service. The goal is to develop some norms of service quality. Fifteen institutions have tried this methodology already. S.Soong attended this meeting and will explore how we might apply this strategy at RUL to assess service.

    There will be a Middle States Association conference in Philadelphia 12/4-5. VP Seneca and others will be participating in a discussion entitled "Are virtual libraries enough?"

    Regarding FASIP criteria, Gaunt asked for comments on her earlier statement that for excellence in librarianship she would tend to give priority to those whose accomplishments supported the Digital Library Initiative. Marker responded that it was difficult to define the Digital Library and therefore hard to determine what efforts supported this. Consoli noted that not everyone works directly on digital projects. How do people working in other areas get rewarded? Other members agreed that this term was vague and needed further discussion to develop more definitive criteria for the future. This issue will be included as a future agenda item for the Coordinating Committee.

  5. Other:

    Langschied has been appointed to the Instructional Computing Committee for New Brunswick. Last year the libraries got funding for the Shaping a Life Program and in the previous year for networked printing. There was an emergency meeting to develop RFPs for two distinct areas this year–pedagogical programs and maintenance/updating for existing programs/equipment. The announcement will be coming out in mid November.

    Marker announced that Nov. 3-9 has been declared a "production only" week for the Cataloging Dept. During that time librarians and staff will not attend any meetings, workshops, etc.

    Meeting adjourned at 11:40 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Penny Page
Secretary



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/fac_coordinating_com/minutes/coordcom_00_10_25.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)