STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of January 17, 2007 meeting

Present:
Jeanne Boyle, Mary Fetzer, Rebecca Gardner, Marianne Gaunt, Tom Glynn (recorder), Karen Hartman, Michael Joseph, John Maxymuk(Via Teleconference), Jane Sloan (chair), Ryan Womack.
Excused:
H. Dess, R. Marker, E. Stec, R. Tipton.
Guest:
Julie Still.

Executive Summary:

A presentation and discussion of RUcore will follow the Library Faculty meeting on March 2.

The Planning and Coordinating Committee is developing a survey on the configuration of the Library Councils.

The Personnel Policy and Affirmative Action Committee (PPAAC) is currently revising a draft of the Libraries' travel policy.

PPAAC will make recommendations to the Planning and Coordinating Committee regarding core competencies for librarians.

The meeting was called to order at 9:30 am. The minutes of the December 2006 meeting had been approved earlier via email.

1. Report of the Faculty Coordinator - J. Sloan

The faculty coordinator, Mary Fetzer and Rhonda Marker have completed a draft of "Guidelines for Advice to the University Librarian on Priorities for Faculty Personnel Line Assignments and Recruitment." It will be presented to Cabinet at their meeting on January 30.

The Planning and Coordinating has author a document entitled "Enhancement of the Faculty Nomination Process." It is designed to increase the number of candidates for faculty offices. Rules of Procedure will implement it, and it will be posted on the Library Faculty web page.

The Libraries Webmaster has created a link on the Library Faculty web page for "Reorganization 2006 - ongoing."

The committee discussed preliminarily the agenda for the Library Faculty meeting in March. The agenda will be finalized in February. In addition to the regular faculty business, we will discuss the updates currently being implemented for RUcore. Staff will be invited to this part of the meeting and there may be follow-up events as well. The Associate University Librarian for Digital Library Systems or the RUcore User Services and Applications Group will lead the discussion.

2. Survey on Faculty Governance and the Council Structure

The Faculty Coordinator presented her first draft of a survey designed to solicit faculty input on the most efficient and effective way to configure the Library Councils. It explores the three options outlined in "Discussion Document: 2006 Faculty Reorganization" and presented at the Library Faculty meeting on December 8, 2006: the current three-council configuration; two councils (User Services and Library Resources) and one single council for the entire system. In general, the draft is in three parts, each of which outlines one of the options and asks questions about its structure, charge and potential effectiveness. The results of the survey should help guide us as we proceed with the restructuring.

The committee discussed the draft at some length. The most prevalent concern was that it was somewhat long and that there might therefore be a low response rate. We want to get as many faculty as possible to participate so that we develop a strong consensus for whatever model is chosen. It was suggested that it could be greatly simplified if the respondent first identified what configuration he or she prefers and then went on to answer questions about that specific configuration. Respondents should however still have the option of answering questions about the two remaining models and also of responding to some broad, open-ended questions. The committee also felt it would be helpful to collect demographic information, such as campus and unit, so we can determine what groups within the faculty support which configurations. The survey will be confidential, but not anonymous. The Deputy Faculty Coordinator, Roberta Tipton, and Jeanne Boyle will assist the Faculty Coordinator in revising the survey and the revision will be discussed at a future meeting of the committee.

3. Report of the Chair of Planning - M. Joseph

The Planning Subcommittee will meet for the first time this afternoon. It will focus on ways to facilitate the implementation of the goals outlined in the strategic plan grid. The chair invited other committee members to join the subcommittee. The Faculty Coordinator has been added to their Sakai site as an "observer." Others faculty members are welcome to do so as well.

4A. Old Business: Faculty Research Salons - T. Glynn

The Scholarly and Professional Activities Committee (SAPAC) remains committed to facilitating faculty research salons after Library Faculty meetings, when time and circumstances permit. The salons provide teaching faculty with a forum in which to present their research to the library faculty and staff. They are an excellent opportunity for librarians and staff to learn about the various ways in which active scholars use library collections. Since the first salon featuring Tomas Eloy Martinez in March of 2004, most of the Faculty meetings have been followed by library events. The current chair of SAPAC, John Shepard, is in contact with Regina Marchi in the Department of Journalism and Media Studies about her research into Day of the Dead celebrations in the United States. The Deputy Faculty Coordinator suggested that we explore ways to expand the audience beyond the Libraries. He will contact John Shepard to discuss this.

4B. Old Business: Travel Policy - J. Still

Julie Still, chair of the Personnel Policy and Affirmative Action Committee (PPAAC), presented a third draft of a Library Faculty Travel Policy. Mary Fetzer and Ryan Womack also serve on the committee. There are two critical differences between it and the current policy. First, it is greatly simplified. It deals only with reimbursement for faculty, and outlines our policy under only two categories, faculty travel and invitational travel. Second, the minimum is raised from $400 to $600 for non-tenured librarian IIs, and librarian IIIs, and IVs, and from $200 to $300 for each tenured librarian. PPAAC also tried to describe more clearly the principles that underlie the policy. The Planning and Coordinating committee discussed the draft at length. It was stressed that funding for travel is intended to encourage professional engagement, contributing to the advance of librarianship, as well as personal professional development, and that travel allowances are a tool for recruitment as well. A number of more specific suggestions regarding language and structure were also offered. PPAAC will revise the document in light of the discussion and present a further revision to the committee at a later date.

5. New Business: ALA Core Competencies for Librarians - All

The American Library Association (ALA) has developed a statement of core competencies for librarians. Copies, along with examples from other institutions, were handed out. The committee discussed how we might make use of the ALA statement or whether it might be worthwhile to develop our own. There was a consensus that some sort of statement of core competencies or an endorsement of the ALA statement would be useful, particularly so that we can be consistent in terms of recruitment, and the tenure and promotion process. It was emphasized that, beyond specific professional competencies, personal qualities such as collegiality and the ability to work in a team environment should be an important part of such a statement. PPAAC, with the assistance of the Diversity Committee, will be requested to explore this issue, including collecting core competencies from other universities, and to make recommendations to the committee.

6. Report of the University Librarian - M. Gaunt

Much of the report focused on the status of open lines. In the Libraries Administration, we are presently reviewing resumes for the Associate University Librarian for Research and Instructional Services and we plan to recruit a Director for Administrative Services (Samson Soong's position). In the Dana Library, we are recruiting a director to replace Lynn Mullins. There is also one frozen line and one that will be filled as a librarian V. In New Brunswick Libraries, there are three searches underway: an East Asian Librarian, a Humanities Librarian, and a Social Sciences Data Librarian. We are considering the possibility of recruiting a tenure-track librarian in some capacity on the line that was unfrozen for an Instructional Technology Development Librarian. In addition, there are seven positions in New Brunswick that are vacant or filled with temporary appointments. In Technical and Automated Services (TAS), there are two positions that are vacant or filled with temporary assignments ending in June, and the line formerly held by Ruth Bogan is frozen. Once the working budget was reviewed, there was approximately $300,000 to return to the units. It could be used for collections, the operating budget, or to fill lines.

The University Librarian distributed two "Library Faculty Position Review Forms," one for the Director for Administrative Services, which received immediate and unanimous approval, and another from Technical and Automated Services (TAS) for a Librarian V cataloger for scores and audiovisual materials. Since this position had formerly been under recruitment as a tenure-track librarian, concerns were raised that a temporary three year librarian V contract would delay leadership in this important area for too long. It was agreed that the position recommendation would be returned with the committee's comments for further consideration.

Cabinet began preparation for a planning meeting scheduled for mid-March with Philip Furmanski, Vice President for Academic Affairs. It will cover personnel issues, including the currently frozen lines, collections and the strategic plan.

Cabinet discussed the two Academic Excellence Grant proposals that the Libraries will submit this year. Special Collections seeks funding for a project that will integrate primary material into the coursework of the Institute of Labor and Management Relations. Archivists will visit classrooms and classes will visit the University Archives in order to introduce students to the use of archival sources. The project is intended as a model for incorporating historical documents into the curriculum. Marty Kesselman's and Eileen Stec's proposal is entitled "Let's Talk about Science." It would use podcasting and Sakai in the new one-credit first-year seminars and feature presentations from senior faculty members on their research. The intention is to develop instructional tools that may be used beyond the science curriculum.

Cabinet will draft a document outlining the Libraries position on any prospective merger of the State's institutions of higher learning. It will be a positive statement that stresses the strengths and efficiencies of an extensive, integrated library system. It will use as its basis two documents created in response to the Vagelos Report.

Joseph Seneca is the chair of the Subcommittee on Academic Issues of the Committee on Entrepreneurship and Efficiencies. The University Librarian will discuss with him the role of the Libraries in relation to the subcommittee's work.

The meeting adjourned at 12:10 p.m.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/fac_coordinating_com/minutes/coordcom_07_01_17.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)