STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of June 16, 2009 Meeting

Present:
Jeanne Boyle, Kayo Denda (coordinator), Marianne Gaunt, Helen Hoffman, Tom Izbicki, Jim Niessen (secretary), Jane Sloan, Farideh Tehrani.

1-3. Call to order, Agenda, Minutes

The meeting was called to order, and the Agenda was approved. The minutes for May 27 were approved.

4. Report of the Faculty Coordinator

The Faculty Travel Policy has been placed on the Web.

The public portion of the June RUL Faculty meeting concerning the Institute for Jazz Studies was very successful.

Kayo Denda and Martin Kesselman have begun work on an assessment of faculty workload but are not yet ready to report.

5. Old Business

Collective Research (Boyle)

A subgroup on collective research consisting of Boyle, Denda, Kesselman, and Niessen has met and communicated via email. Niessen joined the group because of his chairmanship of SAPAC, which facilitated the luncheon presentation by Rob Heffernan of Institutional Research and Boyle. This event attracted colleagues from SCILS due to co-sponsorship by the luncheon series of the Library and Information Science department, and elicited useful comments.

The subgroup crafted a document on collective research, which was distributed to the Planning & Coordinating Committee (P&CC). The document is slightly over a page in length and consists of three sections: Why Research is Important (a paragraph-long statement), Why Collective Research is Important (an introduction followed by a bulleted list), and How to Make a Research Agenda Part of Our Collective Work (recommendations for how to identify questions and address them).

Dan O'Connor has suggested we prepare Occasional Papers arising from our agenda, and the User Services Council (USC) has spoken about this agenda. Boyle clarified that while she is eager to make library data available to everyone, for instance through the planning web pages that she highlighted in the SAPAC program, she cannot do literature searches for researchers. She prepared a list of relevant reports for that program that is almost ready to go online. The subgroup expressed interest in facilitating federated search across the reports, and Boyle thinks Google's "custom search" tool might be able to do this.

Izbicki suggested the Institutional Review Board might need to be involved if we expand our research activity. The subgroup's document recommends that the Councils craft research agendas, and the Planning & Coordinating Committee can encourage them in this. It was suggested that more information about our ethnographic study be placed online, for instance with a news story. The Library Resources Council (LRC) might follow up on its e-books report with investigations in this area, or study cooperative collection development, disciplinary differences in information seeking and research practices. Luncheon programs with outside participation could address these and similar topics.

Libraries are changing radically and we have many unanswered questions. We should consider collaborative research with the library school and hiring people with expertise in library research as well as in primary subjects and functional areas. It is challenging to know what the special skills and requisite research interests will be in the future. We should consider recruitment from SCI/SCILS or more split appointments as in the case of Nancy Kranich.

The Minnesota study offers many insights about research in the disciplines that we can use for our research agenda and for insights into the support of outreach efforts by the Committee on Scholarly Communication. The task of defining liaison work can also profit from research to refine the definition by the Collection Development Council.

P&CC agreed to endorse the document with a revision strengthening the rationale for RUL to pursue this activity, and will communicate it to the Councils and add it to the RULF web pages.

6. New Business

There was no new business.

7. Report of the University Librarian

Non-Tenure Track Faculty Task Force Report

The report, produced by a committee under the chairmanship of SAS Vice Dean Michael Beals, seems to confirm the trend of recent years at Rutgers. Many deans are concerned that non-tenure track (aka contingent) faculty hires will undermine the units' goals of enhancing research prestige and grant revenue.

Rutgers-UMDNJ Joint Degree Services and Resource Sharing Agreement

Since the separation of the medical school and Rutgers there have been regularly renewed agreements. Remote access for RUL licensed databases has been extended to the faculty, students, and staff in the UMD/RU joint degree programs. The lists of participating programs are fairly stable.

8. Concluding outcomes

The document on collective research was approved with the requisite minor additions, will be placed on the RUL website.

Kayo Denda was thanked for her work as RUL Faculty Coordinator in 2008-2009.

9. Future agenda items

The transition of the Committee on Scholarly Communication (CSC) to a standing committee

USC and LRC memberships and term of service

10. Adjournment

Respectfully submitted,
Jim Niessen, Faculty secretary



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/fac_coordinating_com/minutes/coordcom_09_06_16.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)