STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of November 18, 2009 Meeting

Present:
Vibiana Bowman Cvetkovic (Coordinator), Marianne Gaunt, Farideh Tehrani, Melissa De Fino (Secretary), Tom Izbicki, Linda Langschied, Triveni Kuchi, Bobbie Tipton, Katie Anderson, Judy Gardner, Marty Kesselman, Jeanne Boyle, Helen Hoffman

1. Call to order

The meeting was called to order at 9:30 a.m.

2. Agenda

A few changes were made to the agenda, as noted below. After these modifications, the agenda was approved.

3. Minutes

The minutes of the October 21, 2009 meeting were approved.

4. Report of the Faculty Coordinator

Cut from agenda, as the Faculty Coordinator had no news to report.

5. Old Business

Report on Collective Research Document (Boyle and Tehrani)

Discussion centered on the definition of collective research and its relation to the role of individual research. Vibiana Bowman Cvetkovic asked Jeanne Boyle to provide background information for the document and post it on the Planning & Coordinating Committee (P&CC) Sakai site. Committee members will send comments to Boyle by December 9th and vote on the finalized document at the December 16th meeting.

Report on recommendations regarding election of new chairs and convening of first meetings for Faculty Committees (Izbicki)

Tom Izbicki distributed a document outlining recommendations for the election of chairs of councils and committees. Recommendations were as follows:

Cvetkovic made a motion to approve the recommendations. Farideh Tehrani approved the motion, Bobbie Tipton seconded, and the group voted to approve. Izbicki will post the document to the P&CC Sakai site. Cvetkovic will submit it to Rhonda Marker of the Rules of Procedure Committee for their approval, and will then distribute it to the chairs.

Report on recommendations for changing membership composition of LRC and USC preparatory to a by-laws change for March faculty meeting discussion (Kesselman)

Tabled for December meeting.

6. New Business

No new business to report.

7. Report of the University Librarian

Faculty Meeting

There will not be an open meeting following the November faculty meeting. Jim Neal was not able to make it. He will come in February instead, and will talk about the collaboration between Columbia and Cornell.

There is an addendum to the faculty meeting agenda - a debriefing on the Scholarly Communication Symposium.

Library Liaisons

Marianne Gaunt distributed the August 2009 issue of Research Library Issues, which is devoted to the changing roles of library liaisons. Gaunt said this is a good agenda item for the faculty to discuss.

Information Literacy

Gaunt also distributed two documents on information literacy: the VALE Shared Information Literacy Committee's "Progression Standards for Information Literacy," and the New Jersey Institute of Technology's "Institute Information Literacy Plan." The Middle States recommendation said that the University needs to develop an information literacy plan before the next accreditation. Gaunt will talk to Executive Vice President Furmanski and the Camden and Newark Chancellors about library faculty working with the teaching faculty to accomplish this. If Furmanski is interested, it will be brought to the deans early in the spring semester. In the meantime, RUL needs to plan for the discussion. To this end, P&CC established the Information Literacy Planning Task Force, chaired by Triveni Kuchi. Members include Cvetkovic, Tipton, and Eileen Stec. The group is charged with pulling together information about information literacy, the role of liaisons, assessment of information literacy, and how it can be implemented into the Rutgers University teaching environment, and fulfilling Middle States requirements on information literacy. They will prepare a preliminary report for the December P&CC meeting.

Associate University Librarian of Research and Instructional Services Role

Lila Fredenburg looked at the organizational structures at six of our peer institutions: Maryland, Florida, UCLA, Indiana, Illinois, and Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh was the most similar to Rutgers, but others were not that different. All were moving to system-wide responsibility for the AUL/RIS position.

8. Summary of Meeting Outcomes

9. Future Agenda Items

10. Adjourn

The meeting adjourned at 11:00 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Melissa De Fino
Faculty Secretary



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/fac_coordinating_com/minutes/coordcom_09_11_18.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)