Vibiana Bowman Cvetkovic called the meeting to order at 9:30 am.
Marty Kesselman cancelled his update on the Library Instruction Mission Statement, as there were no updates from the User Services Council (USC). Cvetkovic called for a voice vote on the agenda, with this change. The agenda was approved.
Cvetkovic called for a voice vote to approve the minutes, and the minutes were approved.
Update on discussions regarding membership for Library Resources Council and User Services Council as listed in the faculty by-laws.
Cvetkovic has met with the Library Resources Council (LRC) and the USC to discuss potential by-law changes. Both councils would like to live in the current structure for the rest of the academic year. After this time, they will be in a better position to report on how the structure is working.
Cvetkovic asked where the Collective Research Document should be placed on the website so that faculty can find it. The document will go in the handbook as well. She will make an announcement about the document at the next Cabinet meeting.
Katie Anderson suggested creating a faculty blog to help faculty share their research. Cvetkovic will talk to Sam McDonald and James Hartstein about wordpress software for the blog.
Tabled for February meeting.
Guest Bob Sewell provided some background of the Committee on Scholarly Communication (CSC), which has existed as an ad hoc committee for two years. The Planning & Coordinating Committee (P&CC) has recommended that a change be made to the bylaws to make CSC a standing faculty committee. CSC has written recommendations for their charge, structure, and membership, which Bob distributed and reviewed with P&CC. A discussion followed on the structure and membership of CSC. Cvetkovic recommended that CSC provide a rationale for membership of the committee to be presented to the faculty. She recommended that a representative from both Camden and Newark be included and that it be ensured that a faculty member from TAS could have the opportunity to run for the committee. Judy Gardner added that digital librarianship needs to be specifically represented.
After a review of the recommended charge, structure, and membership, P&CC decided to keep the charge as written by the CSC and add the structure and justification that was drafted by Gardner , and propose the following change to the faculty by-laws:
"The Committee on Scholarly Communication (CSC) shall consist of three faculty members with liaison responsibilities elected to provide system-wide representation in each of three subject areas, and two faculty members elected to provide system-wide representation in digital library systems. Candidates will be nominated, and the faculty will elect one representative each for arts and humanities, social sciences, sciences, and two representatives for digital library systems. The term of office shall be for two years, two members shall be elected one year and three members the following year. The AUL for Collection Development and Management shall serve ex officio as a member of this committee. Additional members may be appointed as needed by the chair in consultation with the committee."
The following charge was accepted:
The committee is responsible, in consultation with other appropriate library and university bodies, for developing policies and services that facilitate scholarly communication and support the research process at Rutgers; advocating for university and faculty participation in the open access movement to increase the impact of our faculty's research and expand access to scholarly information by various means, especially including RUcore; and focusing the creation of digital resources on the Libraries' unique collections and the intellectual output of Rutgers University.
P&CC also added the following background and justification for the committee:
"Libraries play an essential role in communicating the results of scholarly research. As producers, providers, users, and teachers of scholarly research, Rutgers librarians are actively engaged in scholarly communications. The recommendation to make the Committee on Scholarly Communications a standing committee recognizes the central role that Rutgers Libraries faculty play in developing the future of scholarly communications.
The proposed membership of the standing committee includes 3 elected subject liaisons, ensuring that the diverse practices, literatures, research methodologies, and communications cultures of the disciplines are represented. Membership also includes 2 elected digital library systems representatives, ensuring that technical expertise and understanding of digital issues relating to scholarly communication are represented. Examples of areas of knowledge that digital library systems representatives may represent include but are not limited to: metadata, digital repositories, open source software, and copyright. A provision for the chair, in consultation with the committee, to add members to the committee as needed is also made."
Rules of Procedures (ROP) will be consulted about elections and terms for members of the committee and final wording for the bylaws revision. The final document will be sent to the Library Faculty by February 5th, two weeks before the faculty meeting. This might necessitate a by-law change for P&CC. If CSC becomes a standing committee, a representative must report to P&CC.
Triveni Kuchi has invited Sara Harrington to be a member of the task force. The task force is gathering insight from four key areas:
The task force's next meeting is scheduled for February 8th. Marianne Gaunt has informed Dr. Furmanski that RUL is working to develop a university-wide information literacy plan, and he has given his support.
Cvetkovic reminded everyone of the special faculty meeting scheduled for February 19th. The only item on the agenda will be a discussion of the CSC. Jim Neal will give a presentation after the meeting.
Gaunt distributed and reviewed the draft charge for the Task Force on Diversity Recruitment. PPAC is currently reviewing recruitment practices so the task force will have a revised document to review. Gaunt noted that our recruitment practices can include looking at existing programs in librarianship that target diverse communities, such as the ALA Spectrum Scholars program, ARL's Career and Leadership Development program, and others when we seek candidates for our vacant positions. PPAC suggested that we add to the charge: "to consult with individuals internal and external to the university as needed." They also suggested that the size of the task force could be made smaller and still keep the appropriate expertise. They recommended that Mark Winston be added to the task force membership.
Dr. Furmanski and Gaunt have discussed the budget process for RUL. Dr. Furmanski is open to making changes to the budget process. RUL is opposed to a general library fee, but would consider fees for special targeted services. The New Brunswick Deans Council meeting is scheduled for Monday, February 1st.
Governor Christie is saying positive things about higher education and has acknowledged that there has not been any capital funding for higher education in twenty years. One of Governor Corzine's last legislative actions was to create a Secretary of Higher Education position. In the next ten days, Christie will distribute requests for givebacks from state departments. It is unclear if this will include higher education..
Gaunt reported that Caroline Caviness is conducting research on the organizational structure of some of our peer institutions and looking at direct reports to the University Librarian. This work is to assist in developing information related to AUL positions elsewhere. Caviness is also reviewing the faculty organizational structures of these institutions and how they relate to their library structures. A discussion followed on how libraries can adopt more nimble structures.
P&CC members should send ideas and comments about the faculty blog to Cvetkovic.
Cvetkovic thanked Kuchi for her work on the Information Literacy Planning Task Force.
Suggestions for agenda items for the February meeting should be sent to Cvetkovic by email.
Bobbie Tipton made a motion to adjourn. Kesselman seconded. The meeting adjourned at 11:30 a.m.
Melissa De Fino