STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of April 21, 2010 Meeting

Present:
Katie Anderson (Remote), Jeanne Boyle, Vibiana Bowman Cvetkovic (Coordinator), Melissa De Fino (Secretary), Judy Gardner (Deputy Coordinator), Marianne Gaunt, Sara Harrington (Guest), Karen Hartman (Guest), Helen Hoffman, Tom Izbicki, Marty Kesselman, Triveni Kuchi, Farideh Tehrani, Bobbie Tipton (Remote)
Excused:
Bobbie Tipton

Call to order, Adoption of the agenda, Approval of minutes of March meeting

Vibiana Bowman Cvetkovic called the meeting to order at 9:30 am. The agenda was adopted. The minutes of the March meeting were reviewed and approved by voice vote.

Report of Faculty Coordinator

No news to report.

Old Business

Faculty blog

Cvetkovic reported that work continues on the blog. The task force working on this project hopes to be able to demo it by the end of this academic year.

Handbook - Planning and Coordinating draft page

Cvetkovic distributed a draft of the online faculty handbook. After discussion, suggestions were made for modification. Cvetkovic requested that all additional thoughts on the handbook be emailed to her. The next steps are for the draft to be emailed to the council and committee chairs and loaded to the Sakai site, where it can be updated.

P&CC Information Literacy Task Force

Triveni Kuchi reported on the progress of the Information Literacy Task Force, which she is chairing. The group met on April 13th and will meet again on April 30th. They will present their findings at the June faculty meeting. Cvetkovic thanked Kuchi for all her hard work on the task force.

Strategic planning for 2010-2011, work with USC and LRC

The group welcomed guests Karen Hartman, chair of the Library Resources Council (LRC), and Sara Harrington, chair of the User Services Council (USC). Cvetkovic explained that Hartman and Harrington were invited to P&CC to help set strategic goals and objectives so that the committees and councils can move forward as a unified voice, to strengthen ties and initiatives between P&CC and the councils.

Harrington suggested that there be a strengthened relationship between the outgoing and incoming chairs of the councils. She also recommended increased communication between P&CC and the chairs of USC and LRC, perhaps through Sakai. Hartman noted that LRC and USC have representatives that serve on P&CC, but that it would be a good idea to strengthen the line of communication.

A discussion followed on communication within and between councils and committees and on the size of the councils. A suggestion was made that more meetings be held virtually, using virtual meeting technology.

Gaunt reminded the group that P&CC has responsibility for planning and coordinating the goals of the faculty. This meeting was the beginning of a dialog about fulfilling that role.

New Business

Faculty elections - update

Cvetkovic announced that elections will be held shortly.

Agenda setting for June faculty meeting

Gaunt announced that the next faculty meeting will be held on June 11th. Kuchi will report on the work of the Information Literacy Task Force. Other topics for discussion include the diversity recruitment plan, the budget, and the proposed merger of Rutgers University and Thomas Edison State College.

Liaison presentation at the SCC, May 7th - update

Gaunt reported that the liaison presentation will include a plenary session followed by break-out group sessions and a concluding wrap-up session. Plenary and wrap-up sessions will be remotely available, but break-outs will not.

Report from University Librarian

Announcements

Gaunt congratulated Tom Izbicki on his tenure. Laura Mullen also received tenure, and Tao Yang was reappointed.

The Diversity Research Center in Newark has received good PR in College and Research News.

Gaunt encouraged everyone to attend the lunch meeting on campus leadership, multiculturalism, and diversity, which was to be held after the P&CC meeting.

Merger

The University is doing due diligence for the proposed merger with Thomas Edison State College. Gaunt has met with State Librarian Norma Blake to discuss the State Library's functions and also the advocacy issues involved. The VALE Executive Committee has met to discuss possible transition plans.

Budget

Executive Vice President Furmanski has not yet announced RUL's percentage cut. The AUL's have prepared scenarios for additional 5% cuts.

There will be a rally in Trenton on May 6th to call for more funding to libraries. Everyone is encouraged to write to their legislators.

Summary of meeting outcomes

In light of the discussion of improved communication in councils and committees, Cvetkovic will talk to the PC Working Group and the Training and Learning Committee to evaluate alternate virtual meeting options.

Future agenda items

The next meeting will be a working meeting. Cvetkovic asked that P&CC members come prepared with ideas for strategic plans and goals. She will distribute information about P&CC's accomplishments and activities from the past year. P&CC will review goals and objectives.

Adjourn

The meeting adjourned at 11:05 am.

Respectfully submitted,

Melissa De Fino
Faculty Secretary, 2009-2011



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/fac_coordinating_com/minutes/coordcom_10_04_21.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)