STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of January 26, 2011 Meeting

Present:
Jeanne Boyle, Melissa De Fino (Secretary), Judy Gardner (Coordinator), Marianne Gaunt, Tom Glynn, Laura Mullen, Jim Niessen (Deputy Coordinator), Michelle Oswell, Jane Otto, Gene Springs, Roberta Tipton (Remote)
Excused:
Katie Anderson, Rebecca Gardner

Call to order, adoption of the agenda, approval of minutes of December meeting

J. Gardner called the meeting to order. The agenda was adopted by voice vote. The minutes of the December meeting had been approved over Sakai prior to the meeting.

Report of the Faculty Coordinator

With K. Anderson away on maternity leave, there is no PlanCo representation from the Camden campus. Gary Golden will be contacted with any issues, should they arise.

Nancy Kranich's notes from the December PlanCo discussion of faculty liaison roles have been posted to the PlanCo Sakai site. The Liaison Action Team will work to define goals, and N. Kranich will be invited back to PlanCo to report on their progress. M. Gaunt recommended that liaison roles be an agenda item for the March faculty meeting. The Committee on Scholarly Communication (CSC) may also have some input to share.

Old Business

Identify next steps to achieve PlanCo's goal to redefine the roles of faculty liaisons.

J. Gardner asked the group to think about how we will know when we have achieved our goal. M. Gaunt suggested defining a generic position profile that describes the role of liaisons. She suggested that the larger issue is determining who is a liaison. This may be a broader role for some than for others. Discussion followed on the roles of liaisons in the library, with regard to new positions, the promotion and tenure process, and the overall changing roles of faculty throughout the university.

New Business

Report on the strategic planning process and timeline (J. Boyle)

One focus group has met so far. J. Boyle reported that they had a full house and that the meeting was productive. The scenario and questions provided for a good discussion. Two additional focus groups have been scheduled for March. One hundred staff and faculty members have signed up so far. Some slots are still available.

Library role in assessing research faculty productivity/impact (M. Gaunt)

Tom Izbicki and M. Gaunt met with Dean Jerry Kukor, Interim Dean, Dean of the Graduate School, New Brunswick, to discuss departments and areas where the university is predicting growth and reduction. Kukor is the point person with Vice President Furmanski on National Research Council ranking and data. He is interested in looking at tools to monitor faculty research productivity/impact over time and would like RUL to be involved in the assessment.

Report of the University Librarian

Status of 3 new faculty librarian positions

The process is moving along well. Search committee training is underway. The positions will be advertised online and in print.

Update on NSF Data Management Plans

We have prototyped the research portal for RUcore, although there is no automatic ingest. A number of faculty members have volunteered to give RUL data so the portal can be tested. There is more behind- the-scenes work to be done. The portal will house Rutgers data that is not housed in any other national database.

Other

M. Gaunt has asked the associate university librarians to outline all issues that need to be considered in their areas should the Robert Wood Johnson merger go through.

Summary of meeting outcomes and future agenda items

The next PlanCo meeting is scheduled for February 23, 2011.

Adjourn

J. Gardner called a motion to adjourn, which was moved by J. Niessen and seconded by G. Springs.

Respectfully submitted,

Melissa De Fino
Faculty Secretary, 2009-2011



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/fac_coordinating_com/minutes/coordcom_11_01_26.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)