STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of December 21, 2011 Meeting

Present:
Katie Anderson (remote), Jeanne Boyle, Joseph Deodato, Rebecca Gardner, Melissa Gasparotto, Marianne Gaunt (University Librarian), Jim Niessen (Coordinator), Jane Otto, Ryan Womack (Deputy Coordinator), Tao Yang (Secretary)
Excused:
Roberta Tipton

The meeting came to order at 9:36am.

1. The agenda was adopted.

2. Report of the Faculty Coordinator (Niessen)

Niessen noted that librarians at Rutgers have faculty status while librarians at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (RWJ) do not. He asked Executive VP Richard Edwards about this issue during Dr. Edwards's visit. Dr. Edwards reassured us that the RUL librarians are unlikely to lose their faculty status when the University works out the differences after the merger.

The Cabinet is discussing communication and would like it to be in both directions, i.e. Cabinet members should communicate concerns and activities of their units and also share information from Cabinet with the rest of the Libraries. Niessen suggested that he be on a future Cabinet agenda to report on faculty/Planning and Coordinating Committee activities.

The special election for the LEAD committee has concluded, but the results are not yet available.

3. Old Business

Facilitating implementation of new liaison roles

Information literacy and the USC

Niessen distributed the revised version of the memo to USC regarding information literacy. Tipton, a co-chair of the ILIAC, informed Niessen via email that ILIAC will provide a report to Mary Fetzer in January, prior to the arrival of the new AUL/RIS. Boyle shared information about related activities in the University: each department is required to create learning goals in the Middle States accreditation process, and there is an opportunity for library liaison involvement. The VP for Undergraduate Education, the SAS in New Brunswick, and CTARR are all engaged in assessment. After some discussion, the group approved a text of the USC memo incorporating some of these ideas and decided to invite Tipton to talk about ILIAC at the February meeting.

Scholarly communication and the Senate, CSC, and LRC

In the Senate, the Research and Graduate and Professional Education Committee has charged a sub-committee to prepare a report on Open Access, with recommendations, for consideration by the Senate's Executive Committee, and Otto reported on this development. There are some problems about the language of the charge, but the consensus is to get the work done without revisiting the charge. The RGPEC report is due to the Senate's Executive Committee for its March 9 meeting. The Dean of SEBS volunteered to review the draft of the report. NBFC also approached Gene Springs and Tom Glynn about open access and asked for more information. On a side note, Otto, Janice Pilch, and Laura Mullen presented at the OIRT showcase; the audience seemed primarily interested in copyright issues.

Members discussed the benefits of involving more faculty members at the early stage of discussion and the possibility of using collections money to support open access publishing. The tight time frame of the Senate sub-committee report was noted, but the deadline may be extended.

What specific recommendations can the committee make to the CSC? Developing a news mechanism for liaisons and for teaching departments (through the RUL newsletter) was suggested. Otto and Niessen will draft a document for the CSC with this recommendation.

Assess the organizational structure and appropriate bodies for understanding user needs and expectations and implementing technologies for library services and make recommendations for appropriate changes.

Deodato and Gasparotto described two documents they developed: one is the organizational chart of the technology-related committees in RUL, and the other is the spreadsheet with information about the committees. Members commended their work, which may be useful for finalizing the strategic plan. Two different types of working groups were recognized, one for routine work, the other for specific projects (for instance, digitization and mobile projects). There seems a need to map the workflow of a digital project. Deodato will tag the spreadsheet to see how the principal activities of the working groups fit into the emerging strategic plan.

4. New Business

Conduct an assessment of the RUL faculty mentoring program

Has the faculty mentoring program been evaluated before? Gaunt will check. Does the program have any overlap with the Futures Group? There is some, but these programs serve different purposes and both are needed.

Niessen discussed the faculty report from 2006 that led to the mentoring program, asking to what degree the recommendations contained therein have been carried out. Gaunt gave a brief description of the program. A call for volunteers went out when the program first started five years ago and six mentors volunteered. The mentor should be from a different unit than the mentee. Gaunt seeks additional mentors when no mentor is available from outside the mentee's unit. There is supposed to be an annual meeting of mentees to discuss issues with the University Librarian and the Faculty Coordinator. Some feedback suggests that mentees may feel concerned about bothering their mentors; on the other hand, mentors may feel concerned that a negative tenure decision reflects on them. Gaunt reassured that both concerns are unnecessary. Mentees can request a change in mentor anytime, with no questions asked.

Gaunt and Niessen will write a new report on the status of the mentoring program based on the reconciliation of the original recommendations and current practice, and by surveying the mentors and mentees. Members also suggested having Fetzer summarize the activities of the Futures Group.

5. Report of the University Librarian

Gaunt and her UMDNJ counterpart are co-chairing the library subcommittee of the university's academic issues committee working on issues involved in the RWJ merger. The library subcommittee is divided into nine core teams. They will prepare a report to the merger steering committee every two weeks. Two public presentations are scheduled for January: one in Alexander on what medical education and medical library are about, the other for RWJ librarians about how RUL is structured. The communication about the merger process will not be very open until after the Governor signs the reorganization order; for the time being people will be brought into the discussion as needed and communications will remain internal.

In response to the rumored merger of RU-Camden and Rowan, the university and the Camden campus have produced two documents for the Governor's taskforce related to a potential merger.

There is a moratorium on funding out-of-state travel with state money. Out-of-state travel needs to be reported and approved.

6. Summary of meeting outcomes

Niessen summarized the outcomes of the meeting. The text of the USC memo regarding information literacy was approved. We are interested in Tipton's report on ILIAC. We received an update about the open access initiative in the Senate; Niessen and Otto will work out a document for SCC about a news mechanism for librarians and teaching faculty. Deodato will update the committee spreadsheet with tags. Faculty mentoring program was reviewed; Gaunt and Niessen will write a new report on the status of the program. We want to learn more about the Futures Group program from Fetzer.

The meeting adjourned at 11:34am.

Submitted by Tao Yang, Faculty Secretary



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/fac_coordinating_com/minutes/coordcom_11_12_21.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)