STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of February 15, 2012 Meeting

Present:
Katie Anderson (remote), Jeanne Boyle, Joseph Deodato, Rebecca Gardner, Melissa Gasparotto, Marianne Gaunt (University Librarian), Jim Niessen (Coordinator), Jane Otto, Roberta Tipton (remote), Ryan Womack (Deputy Coordinator), Tao Yang (Secretary)
Guests:
Karen Hartman, Laura Mullen

The meeting came to order at 9:35am

1. Agenda

The agenda was adopted.

2. Minutes

The minutes were approved, with several suggestions of minor corrections.

3. Report of the Faculty Coordinator

Niessen will send an updated memo to the Committee on Scholarly Communication (CSC) to recommend the formulation of a communication strategy for contacts with non-Library faculty about scholarly communication and open access. The new LEAD committee will meet soon to select a chair and formulate procedures. Niessen reported on the Committee's activities to the Cabinet and received feedback. Some Cabinet members expressed an interest attending Committee meetings to participate in discussions of interest.

4. Old Business

Facilitating implementation of new liaison roles: Scholarly communication and the Senate, CSC, and LRC

The Senate Research and Graduate and Professional Education Committee discussed the report submitted by the open access sub-committee and recommended some revisions. At its February meeting, the Senate Executive Committee showed support for an extended timeline to approve the open access report: the full Senate may discuss the report in the spring, but will not vote on it until October. A working group is being proposed to implement the recommendations made in the report.

Mullen mentioned that the CSC will discuss the implementation issues in the libraries. Gaunt relayed a concern from teaching faculty as to whether the library has enough manpower to process all the requests coming to RUcore in a timely fashion. The open access report will be on the agenda of the RUL faculty meeting on March 9.

5. New Business

RULF Blog: Content, Policies, and Procedures for Use

Anderson distributed a document about the RUL Faculty Blog. The idea originated while Vibiana Cvetkovic was Faculty Coordinator. NetID authentication for the blog platform has recently been implemented. Anderson gave a remote demo and introduced the main features of the blog, including sharing posts on social networking sites, receiving posts in digest format via email, and allowing authors delete their posts if necessary.

Members suggested that the internal blog proposed for library faculty be open to the library staff. The "Code of Conduct" in the document may be renamed "Guidelines". The sharing feature of the internal blog needs to be disabled. There should be a disclaimer stating that the views in the blog posts do not represent those of the Libraries or the University. Anderson and Tipton will work on revising the guidelines and drafting a disclaimer for discussion.

RULF position regarding recommendations of the Medical Education Task Force

Niessen briefly reviewed several position papers and statements regarding the proposed Rowan-RU Camden merger from various faculty groups, including the Rutgers AAUP, the Camden FAS, and the NB History faculty. Some viewpoints of merger proponents are available on the web site of Rowan University. A new Eagleton poll found that the majority of state residents, especially those in South Jersey, are opposing the merger. Members made some suggestions about the proposed RUL faculty resolution:

Niessen will draft a resolution for the March 9 faculty meeting.

Agenda for March 9 RULF meeting.

After some discussion, the group set the agenda for the March 9 faculty meeting. It will include a scholarly communication update, an announcement about the RULF blog, the resolution about the Camden merger, and reports by Gaunt and Niessen.

6. Report of the University Librarian

Gaunt reported the following developments in the Libraries and the University

7. Summary of meeting outcomes

Niessen summarized the outcomes of the meeting. We heard an update about scholarly communication. Anderson and Tipton will revise the guidelines and draft a disclaimer for the RUL Blog. RUL faculty position on the Camden merger with Rowan was discussed; Niessen will draft a resolution focusing on the library perspective, hopefully to be voted on at the March meeting. The next faculty meeting agenda will include the RUL Blog, the merger resolution, and scholarly communication developments.

8. Future Agenda Items

Future agenda items include the mentoring program and the organizational structure review. Grace Agnew will be invited to provide input to the organizational structure review. She may be able to inform the group on how three different types of projects (digitization, development of new web tools requiring new software, and development of new tools requiring programming) are shepherded through the process, and how priorities are set. Boyle discovered some new committees in the Phase IV of the strategic plan, which will be shared with the Committee. The roles of groups not tied to strategic goals will also be examined.

The meeting adjourned at 11:32am.

Submitted by Tao Yang, Faculty Secretary.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/fac_coordinating_com/minutes/coordcom_12_02_15.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)