STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of July 18, 2012 Meeting

Present:
Ka-Neng Au, Vibiana Cvetkovic (remote), Marianne Gaunt (University Librarian), Jackie Mardikian, Laura Mullen (Deputy Coordinator), Caryn Radick, Mary Beth Weber, Ryan Womack (Coordinator), Tao Yang (Secretary)
Excused:
Jeanne Boyle
Guests:
Stephanie Bartz, Melissa De Fino, Joseph Deodato, Elizabeth Lester

The meeting came to order at 10:05am.

1. Agenda

Womack made a minor change to the agenda: an update on the RUL faculty/staff blog will be covered in the report of the Faculty coordinator.

2. Introduction and Welcome

Members introduced themselves and their respective roles on the Committee.

3. Report of the Faculty Coordinator

The June minutes were approved. Future minutes will be approved electronically. The faculty/staff blog is ready, and it will be used to discuss faculty issues. Womack will send an announcement to RUL everyone.

4. Old Business

Policy and Procedures for Appointment and Promotion of Non-Tenure Track Faculty

Womack revised the NTT documents based on the input received at the special faculty meeting on Friday. Gaunt suggested several new edits. Womack will make editorial changes and send the final version to RUL faculty. The report to EVPAA will be formatted according to the template provided by the University. Apparently there is no timeline for the University and the union to agree on the new procedures. Gaunt also confirmed that less than 100% is considered part-time for tenure-track faculty.

There was some confusion on the interpretation of the Bylaws language regarding the participation of NTT faculty on non-state funded lines in RUL faculty meetings and committees. The Committee will revisit this issue in the fall and decide how it will be addressed.

5. New Business

Goals for 2012/2013

Womack suggested two goals:

Deodato suggested adding a third goal, which is to discuss and recommend best ways to collect data on user needs. These three potential goals will be discussed further over the summer.

Womack also discussed the future meeting dates. Monthly meetings will take place on Wednesdays in the middle of the month. The next meeting will start at 9:30am on August 15.

6. Report of the University Librarian

Gaunt reported on budget and the UMDNJ/Rutgers merger. The Board of Governors will meet today to set tuitions. If the tuition increase is less than 3%, it is likely there will be budget cuts. It is unlikely to know the library budget until sometime in September. Tom Izbicki gave a report on the collection budget at the Cabinet meeting. The collection budget faces serious issues. In response, both the standing orders for monographic series and microform subscriptions will be taken off of state funds. All the database subscriptions will also be analyzed. The approval plan monograph acquisitions will need to be reconsidered along with any PDA options, because the endowment being used for the approval plan is almost used up. The collection budget issues will be brought to the Libraries Faculty Advisory Committee.

On the merger front, the high-level UMDNJ/Rutgers integration teams met on Monday and will meet again on Thursday. Even though the Governor has not signed the legislation and the Rutgers boards have not endorsed the proposal, the planning process has to start. She will hear next week about how sub-committees will be expanded.

7. Summary of meeting outcomes

Womack summarized the meeting outcomes. We introduced ourselves. The NTT documents have been finalized, with small edits. The goal discussion has begun and will continue in August.

8. Future agenda items

There seems no old business. The goal discussion and possibly the Bylaws change will be on the agenda. Gaunt will make sure the mentoring program document is posted online.

9. Announcement

Gaunt announced that James Hilton will give a talk on Digital Preservation Network tomorrow at SCC. President McCormick gave funding for joining DPN, whose goal is to make it easier to access and preserve scholarship of major universities. There are currently 50 institutional members (the membership is at the institutional level). All faculty members are encouraged to attend Hilton's presentation.

The meeting adjourned at 11:45am.

Submitted by Tao Yang, Faculty Secretary.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/fac_coordinating_com/minutes/coordcom_12_07_18.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)