STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of August 15, 2012 Meeting

Present:
Ka-Neng Au, Jeanne Boyle, Vibiana Cvetkovic, Judith Gardner, Marianne Gaunt (University Librarian), Tom Glynn, Jackie Mardikian, Laura Mullen (Deputy Faculty Coordinator), Janice Pilch, Caryn Radick, Ryan Womack (Faculty Coordinator), Tao Yang (Faculty Secretary)
Excused:
Mary Beth Weber
Guest:
Mei Ling Lo, Wen-Hua Ren

1. The meeting came to order at 9:34am.

2. The agenda was adopted without change.

3. The Report of the Faculty Coordinator

Womack had no specific report for this meeting, but later in the meeting he will comment on the travel policy, which is a separate agenda item.

4. Old Business

Bylaws changes on participation of NTT faculty

At the August meeting, the Committee suggested a few Bylaws changes to clarify the language about the participation of NTT faculty in committees. Lo brought these suggestions to the Rules of Procedure and came back with a draft proposal for Bylaws changes (Ren and Cvetkovic are also members of Rules of Procedure). In addition to rephrasing the definition of the RUL faculty (and the "invited members") as recommended by the Committee, the proposal also included updates to the composition of library councils and statutory committees (Section VI and VII) that were suggested by respective groups.

The Committee discussed some specific issues, including the wording about the CSC membership, the representation of both faculty and staff in library councils as exemplified in the IJS membership, and the exclusion of invited members in the Committee of Review. The proposal was largely approved, with some suggested changes. The Rules of Procedure will incorporate these suggestions and continue to communicate with respective groups, before sending the Committee a new draft to review.

5. Travel policy revision

Last year, the Committee updated the travel policy to allow faculty on sabbatical to receive travel funding. The "Faculty Travel Policy", a webpage on the Library Faculty site, has been updated, but the "Library Policy on Travel Funds" (in PDF) on the Budget Office site has not. Womack discovered some inconsistencies between these two documents. He will reconcile two major discrepancies by correcting the dollar amount allocated to each faculty on the webpage and updating the PDF version to state that faculty can receive travel funding while on sabbatical. He will also work with Mardikian and L. Fredenburg to look at other inconsistencies between the different versions of travel policy.

6. Position review

The group reviewed the draft vacancy announcements of two RIS positions: the Chemistry and Physics Librarian and the Instructional Design Librarian. The description of the first position is similar to the roles of the last incumbent, but added a formal role in science data. The relevance of some specific qualifications was discussed. Some cautioned that listing qualifications that are very specific may discourage or eliminate potentially viable applicants. For the second position, it was clarified that this is not an instructional technology or instruction coordinator position. Some asked whether the responsibilities of the second position are too broad for one person to handle and whether it is a system-wide position.

In addition, members suggested that the library profile in these announcements be updated (particularly the part about the size of the collection). Some language in the job descriptions to encourage diversity applicants is also needed - Boyle will provide more specific wording. Womack will convey to M. Just the questions and comments about these two positions.

7. Reports on research services

After the August meeting, members investigated a list of research services in small groups and summarized each service. Womack compiled the summaries into one document and distributed it prior to the meeting. At the meeting, Womack asked members take turns to present their findings. Due to time constraints, only half of the services on the list were discussed, including Assessment Support, Centers for Training, Learning, and Exploring, Citation Management Tools, Conference Services, Copyright and Licensing, Data Services Outside of Research Data Management, Digital Humanities, and Media Production. The discussion of the remaining services will resume in October.

8. Report of the University Librarian

The University Senate will meet on Friday. President Barchi will be speaking at the meeting. He will probably talk about his goals and plans for the strategic plan, the administrative restructuring of the University, and the merger with UMDNJ. The Research and Graduate and Professional Education Committee's agenda includes cyber infrastructure to support research and open access policy. The meeting is open to everyone.

President Barchi ordered a review of all funds budgeting process. He intends to shift from an annual budget to three to five-year budget. Academic units will need to plan for an increase in both total enrollments and enrollments of out-of-state students.

Gaunt and Just had meetings with three academic leaders of the University - Richard Falk (Interim Dean of SAS-NB), Kenneth Breslauer (Interim VP, Research and Economic Development & VP, Health Science Partnerships), and Richard Novak (Associate VP, Continuing Studies and Distance Learning). She felt that projects and plans of the library, such as putting conference papers in RUcore, developing our media and data management capacities, and embedding the library in distance education, are totally in sync with the interests of these academic leaders.

Executive VP Edwards has approved the recruitment of three vacant library faculty positions, including the two discussed today.

9. Summary of meeting outcomes

Womack summarized the outcomes. We reviewed proposed Bylaws changes. Both versions of the travel policy will be updated; Womack, Mardikian, and Fredenburg will review other inconsistencies. We provided input to the job descriptions of two vacant positions. We are more than halfway through the research services. Gaunt shared good news about the progress in the University.

Submitted by Tao Yang, Faculty Secretary.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/fac_coordinating_com/minutes/coordcom_12_09_19.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)