STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of October 17, 2012 Meeting

Present:
Ka-Neng Au, Jeanne Boyle, Vibiana Cvetkovic (remote), Judith Gardner, Marianne Gaunt (University Librarian), Tom Glynn, Jackie Mardikian, Laura Mullen (Deputy Faculty Coordinator), Janice Pilch, Caryn Radick, Mary Beth Weber, Ryan Womack (Faculty Coordinator), Tao Yang (Faculty Secretary)
Guest:
Ningfen Wu

1. The meeting came to order at 9:34am.

2. Adoption of the Agenda

The agenda was adopted without any change. Womack and Gaunt welcomed visiting Chinese librarian Ningfen Wu to the meeting. Wu is the head of reference at Tongji University Library in Shanghai, China. During her stay at Rutgers through December, Ningfen will attend a variety of meetings.

3. Report of the Faculty Coordinator

Womack said that the RUL blog announcement is ready to go. Later he will talk about the planning for the October faculty meeting, which is a separate agenda item.

4. Old Business

Reports on research services

Members reported on the remaining research services: research community, research data management, research design and methodologies, open access and scholarly communication, scholarly publishing, and scholarly networking. We will discuss these services at the October RUL faculty meeting; both RUL staff and UMDNJ librarians will be invited to participate in the discussion. These services will also be listed on a library webpage.

Womack asked a series of question that can help categorize the services: what are the things we are doing well? What are the ones we need to seek out more collaborations for? Which services are not essential to the library? Among the services we are currently offering, which ones are functioning? Which ones are inadequate? Several services were briefly discussed in this framework and the discussion will continue on the committee listserv.

5. October Faculty Meeting Planning

Womack stated that the business part of the faculty meeting will be short: the Open Access policy report and the proposed Bylaws changes will be on the agenda. There will be a post-meeting from 11am to 12:30pm to discuss research services.

The group discussed the format of the post-meeting. It was decided that Womack will give a brief presentation at the beginning. Then people will break into discussion groups (including teleconferencing groups) led by members of the Committee. They will be asked to rate the importance and difficulty of each service and provide comments. There will be two breakout sessions, with twenty minutes for each. Then people will come back for some final discussions. The document on research services Womack compiled will be sent out in full prior to the faculty meeting. A handout with a one-line description about each service and information about the discussion groups will be distributed at the meeting. All RUL staff and UMDNJ librarians and staff will be invited to the post-meeting.

6. UMDNJ Committee Representation

Womack described the need for informal collaborations before the integration with UMDNJ is implemented. He suggested inviting UMDNJ librarians to our major faculty groups: Planning and Coordinating, LRC, USC, CSC, and Web Board. This suggestion was endorsed by the group. Womack will seek input from the chairs of these faculty committees. Gaunt will ask Judith Cohn of UMDNJ how she would like to handle this. If the UMDNJ librarians come to the meetings, they will be in observer roles.

7. Report of the University Librarians

Gaunt's report focused on UMDNJ integration issues.

8. Summary of the meeting outcomes

Womack summarized the outcomes of the meeting. We completed the introduction to research services and came up with preliminary ways of evaluating the services. We talked about the October faculty meeting structure, which will put more emphasis on group discussions of research services; Womack will send out related documents to the Committee for review. RUL staff and UMDNJ librarians/staff will be invited to the post-meeting (Au noted that UMD people can join the meeting remotely in the Dana Library Special Collections Room). The suggestion of inviting UMDNJ librarians to the RUL committees was endorsed. Gaunt gave an update on the progress of the UMDNJ integration.

9. Future agenda items

After the faculty meeting, Womack will bring the results of the research services discussions to the Cabinet. We will produce a final report on research services, which will be a major agenda item for the next meeting.

The meeting was adjourned at 11:40am.

Submitted by Tao Yang, Faculty Secretary.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/fac_coordinating_com/minutes/coordcom_12_10_17.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)