STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of March 28, 2013 Meeting

Present:
Ka-Neng Au, Jeanne Boyle, Judy Cohn, Vib Cvetkovic (remote), Marianne Gaunt (University Librarian), Tom Glynn, Jackie Mardikian, Laura Mullen (Deputy Coordinator), Janice Pilch, Caryn Radick, Ryan Womack (Faculty Coordinator), Tao Yang (Faculty Secretary)
Excused:
Judy Gardner, Mary Beth Weber

1. Call to order (RW)

The meeting came to order at 9:35am.

2. Adoption of the agenda (RW)

The agenda was adopted without change.

3. Report of the Faculty Coordinator (RW)

Womack will give a presentation on the research services report to Research & Graduate & Professional Education Committee (RGPEC) of the University Senate on Friday.

4. Old Business

Librarians of 2023(all)

Womack reported that the first phase of the "Librarians of 2023" survey had 55% response rate, out of a total of 74 RUL faculty members. He had made an effort to categorize the skills being identified by respondents. Communications skills and technology skills (non-specific) seem to be frequently mentioned. In the second phase of the survey, RUL faculty will be asked to rank the skills that have been identified.

The group discussed how to proceed with the 2nd phase and here are some of the main issues:

A small group consisting of Womack, Cvetkovic, and Glynn is charged to draft the survey.

5. New Business

Blogs Policy (all)

This discussion was prompted by an emeritus RUL faculty's request to join the faculty/staff blogs. After some discussion, the group realized that the potential obstacle for opening the blogs to retired librarians is the NetID authentication. Womack will investigate the authentication method and report back.

Related to the blogs issue, the group also discussed whether the Libraries should have a policy on social media (blogs, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, etc.). People noted the difference between using social media for personal expression and using it to represent the institution. Gaunt will bring the issue to the Cabinet and see if the policy is needed and what are the steps to reach the policy.

6. Report of the University Librarian (MIG)

President Barchi is conducting an open forum on the strategic plan in Rutgers Student Center at 3pm today. Gaunt encouraged people to attend. Another retreat for the strategic plan will be held in early April, which will include deans, faculty, alumni, student representatives, and members of the Board of Governors. The focus of the retreat is to identify areas of strengths in the University.

The University is building a relationship with Myanmar. Joanna Regulska, VP for International and Global Affairs, visited Myanmar on the State Department delegation. She asked RUL to participate in a group of universities focusing on helping academic libraries in Myanmar, such as bringing librarians for training in the U.S. There may be funding opportunities from the State Department. M. Just and T. Kuchi are working on this initiative. RUL faculty will receive a press release about this new development. On campus, both Philosophy and Religion departments will participate in exchanges with Myanmar.

The Libraries Advisory Committee will meet this afternoon. EVPAA Edwards has asked the Committee to take on the role of implementation group for the Open Access policy. The questions facing the committee included how to approach the OA education issue and how to encourage compliance by both faculty and graduate students. The Libraries will take a leadership role in the process, but it needs the input from faculty.

On the RU-UMDNJ integration front, all the committees are working very hard. We have good plans for everything, but services for University Hospital in Newark remain an outstanding issue because its relationship to Rutgers will change.

The Governor's budget proposal includes a flat budget for Rutgers. CIC is visiting Rutgers in early May. Gaunt will try to get CIC's Mark Sandler (Director, Center for Library Initiatives) to the library for an open meeting. CIC does a lot of collective purchasing of databases. CIC membership may require us to purchase more in the collection area.

7. Summary of meeting outcomes (RW)

We discussed the second phase of the Librarians of 2023 survey. We formed a small team to draft the survey for the next meeting. We investigated the issue of making internal blogs available to retired RUL faculty. We also discussed the need for social media policy, which at first will be addressed at the cabinet level. We heard updates on UMD and CIC issues.

8. Future agenda items

Womack asked for future agenda items. The next meeting is in three weeks on April 17.

9. The meeting adjourned at 11:14am.

Submitted by Tao Yang, Faculty Secretary



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/fac_coordinating_com/minutes/coordcom_13_03_28.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)