Minutes of July 24, 2013 Meeting
- Ka-Neng Au, Triveni Kuchi (Deputy Faculty Coordinator), Laura Mullen (Faculty Coordinator), Jim Niessen, Krista White, Kevin Mulcahy, Julie Still, Jeanne Boyle, Judy Cohn, Caryn Radick, Marianne Gaunt (University Librarian), Megan Lotts (Faculty Secretary)
1) Call to order at 9:30am by chair Laura Mullen.
2) Adoption of Agenda- faculty lines were moved up to old business
3) Report from Faculty Coordinator (LBM)
- Following the call to order was the introduction of faculty coordinator Triveni Kuchi as well as Judy Cohn who is invited to attend
Planning & Coordinating committee meetings.
- Charge of the committee: This committee shall advise the Vice President for Information Services and University Librarian on
- program priorities in the area of faculty line assignments, the provision of library services and collections, research, and service
in relation to resource allocation, and
- long range planning (3 to 5 years) in the areas listed above.
The committee shall also
- act on behalf of the Faculty at such times when the Faculty as a whole cannot meet.
- be responsible for coordinating the activities of the Faculty and its committees, and
- shall exercise such powers as the Faculty may delegate to it.
- There will be 3 faculty meetings this year and the dates are: Nov. 8th, March, 7th, and June 6th. Meetings start with coffee and
networking at 8:45, and the business meeting begins at 9:15 a.m. Meetings are located in the SCC on the 4th floor of Alexander Library.
New faculty members will be introduced at the Nov. 8th meeting.
4) Old business
- Positions have been filled:
- Instructional Design Librarian: Leslin Charles
- Chemistry & Physics Librarian: Laura Palumbo
- Associate Director of IJS: Adriana Cuervo
- Music & Performing Arts Librarian: Jonathan Sauceda
- Currently recruiting for:
- IJS Archivist
- Undergraduate Experience Librarian
- Digital Humanities Librarian
- NJ Regional Studies Librarian and Head of Public Services, SC&UA
- Metadata Librarian for Continuing Resources Scholarship and Data
- Next on list for recruitment:
- Director of Dana Library- application has not yet been posted
- It would be useful to have past Chairs attend the first few meeting(s) to assist in continuity or programs.
- Two major accomplishments of Plan Co over the last 2 years was the research services report and an examination of services RUL could offer. The report is a culmination of break out meetings and we want to ensure that work is continued by the different committees and that they will have an opportunity to report back their progress. Our progress and new services will be great talking points when Marianne Gaunt is speaking to the new faculty & researchers on campus this fall. Some of the topics are the following:
- Scholarly publishing- (CSC)
- Research Data Management (Ryan Womack and RUResearch Team)
- Copyright & Licensing (Janice Pilch and Planning and Organizational Research))
- Citation tools (USC/CSC)
- Capturing presentation & conferences (Cyberinfrastructure Steering Committee)
- Digital humanities (LRC)
- Research community (Liaison Action Team)
- Scholarly networking (USC))
- The librarians of 2023 survey focused on new skills needed in for positions in the Libraries over the next 10 years. The next step is to use the findings as we consider new positions, their qualifications and the skills required.
5) New business
- The welcome event for the integration of new health sciences colleagues into RUL was a success. All new faculty members have been added to the RUL list-servs. In September Plan Co will look more closely at the bylaws and committees to make sure we integrate new faculty members into the appropriate committees. There is a need to orient new faculty members to RUL processes - how we function and how decisions are made. Jeanne Boyle has agreed to work on a new functional organizational chart as well as an administrative chart. Julie Still also mentioned that the PPAC committee has time and availably to work on projects as needed. LRC is also talking about an event, where information is shared about collection development.
- The main agenda for Planning & Coordinating this year is how we organize Scholarly Communication. This area is an expanding area and many individuals want to be involved. How do public, technical, and liaison all come together to have conversations about this topic. There was a question of what is scholarly communication and it was noted to look at Bob Sewell's original definition. It's not just open access. It includes how scholars communicate with each other. It's a process. . We need to define what we mean in order to have a structure to support it. Along the same vein there was a question of what digital humanities is, and another definition that need to be worked out. How do we bring RUL faculty & staff together to have these discussions, and who should be involved where? Plan co will look further at these issues.
- The library faculty need better visibility on our website. This will be a task to look at in December, and perhaps we want to discuss with the web designers.
- This year the university is developing a new strategic plan, from 2012-2015 and RUL will need to adjust its plan to the university's. Jeanne would lead the process and discuss this with cabinet.
6) Report from University Librarian (MG)
- There was a discussion of the use of library faculty titles. Librarian ranks 1-4 are the official ranks and they are equivalent to the teaching/research faculty ranks, but we may not use the Professor/associate professor titles. Administrative titles are those assigned by the library - Humanities Librarian, Data Librarian. They may change as positions change. The proper protocol to change an administrative title is to speak with your AUL or director if you feel your title needs changed or updated. Titles should be short and describe what you do in the best way possible. The University Librarian will have the final approval.
- A date is being picked early for state of the libraries with the intent that it would be nice to have the new Chancellor of RBHMS come and talk about the vision for the new health sciences.
- Also please note that Marianne Gaunt sent out a note about how the university counts the 4 campuses: Newark, Camden, New Brunswick/Piscataway, and Health Sciences at Newark.
- The CIC is discussing the US Office of Science and Technology policy that has mandated to all federal agencies with a grants budget of $100 million or more to have their grantees to make their data (for publications) and publications available to the public, and that the agencies have a way to monitor compliance. They have invited the agencies to seek assistance in developing their plans. The AAU, ARL, and APLU are proposing that universities take on this role, as institutional repositories already exist. PubMed Central say they are willing to make it open to other agencies. Some of the commercial publishers are discussing this topic. There may be a task force to think about how the CIC could be involved. CIC campus officers have been asked for feedback. There is a question is how RU will respond.
- There Chemistry Library will need to close because of building demolitions and renovations. RUL needs to be out in mid November. Melissa Just and her team are working on this. Chemistry collections will be moved to LSM and served there.
- The university is embarking on a capital plan for facilities, and the consulting group and university architect is meeting on all campuses. Keir & Jeanne, Melissa and Marianne attended two separate meetings. Discussions included overall library needs but broadened to how related offices/services are co-located on a campus or in buildings. NO meetings have yet taken place at UMDNJ, but there are library needs there and they need to be taken into consideration.
- The position profile for Director of John Cotton Dana Library has not gone out yet as feedback is still being reviewed. . . The job description was briefly discussed. The position of Director of the IJS will be recruited after the Dana Director is filled.
7) Announcements: none
8) Summary of meeting
Laura will follow up with Judy about list-servs and new faculty members. Laura will also add strategic plans issues to new business.
Ongoing the committee will look at wish list of faculty positions and make sure that things on Sakai and website are updated.
Motion to adjourn at 11:23am
Minutes submitted by Art Librarian and Faculty Secretary, Megan Lotts