Minutes of September 25, 2013 Meeting
- Marianne Gaunt (University Librarian), Laura Mullen (Faculty Coordinator), Triveni Kuchi (Deputy Faculty Coordinator), Jeanne Boyle, Julie Still, Vibiana Cvetkovic, Ka-Neng Au, James Niessen, Caryn Radick, Kevin Mulcahy, Krista White (Recorder), Judith Cohn (RBHS), Thomas Glynn
- Megan Lotts (Faculty Secretary)
1. Call to order (LBM)
- Adoption of July minutes to be done at same time as August minutes due to necessary edits
2. Adoption of the agenda (LBM)
- No changes, agenda adopted.
3. Report of the Faculty Coordinator (LBM)
- New Health Sciences Libraries colleagues and new faculty members will be introduced at the November RUL faculty meeting.
- A review of Faculty Committee pages online has been completed and they appear to be accurate. It was noted that there were RUL Faculty minutes missing, but they have now been added.
- There is a request for all faculty to attend the State of Libraries, please.
- There has been a question from Rules of Procedure about reports from standing committees being sent via email that could be of use/importance for archiving information from Faculty Meetings. In question is whether there should be documentation of "11th hour" email reports; should they be saved and archived as they have been in the past? It was mentioned that there is little in those reports that are not in publicly available in minutes of the committees. There was a suggestion about reports added in Sakai. It was noted that Sakai is not publically available so it was decided that reports from Standing Committees will be added as appendices to the Faculty Meeting Minutes by the Faculty Secretary. This new practice will begin after the next RUL Faculty meeting. All reports circulated via email will just be appended to the meeting minutes by the Faculty Secretary.
4. Old Business
- There will be a review and update of Planning and Coordinating Committee charge. Changes thus far include: adding Marianne's full title, Research and Instructional Services will replace Public Services and Communications. There was a discussion of the technical services representation since there is no longer a Technical Services Council. Questions were raised of how elections will happen on each campus.
- There was a discussion of legacy administrative structures with LRC, RIS and USC and the TSC and the question was raised of who should be on Planning and Coordinating Committee? The question is what expertise is needed on the committee? Both domain and geography should be represented. University regulations require that all faculty have a Planning Committee. It is recommended that the Planning and Coordinating charge be updated including looking into the Rules of Procedure issues identified. Mullen will bring revised draft language for a new charge/membership back to the committee for review at the next PlanCo meeting.
- Planning and Coordinating needs to create a new draft of library faculty positions needed. PlanCo members were asked to engage the groups they represent with discussion of new positions needed or desired.
- Reports of research services must be submitted at mid-year and year end from each group/committee assigned to follow up. This is a follow up from last year's PlanCo work.
- Planning and Coordinating reviewed the previous "wishlist" for library faculty positions from 2010, noting which positions have been filled. The positions filled include:
- Electronic Resources and Emerging Technologies/User Experience Librarian, position filled by Joseph Deodato
- Digital Initiatives and Digital Archives Librarian, position filled by Caryn Radick
- Data librarian duties were taken over by Ryan Womack; (may want to have a Science Data Librarian in the future; the position "Science Data Librarian" can remain on the list for now)
- Undergraduate experience librarian search under way
- Instructional Design Librarian, position filled by Leslin Charles
- Copyright and Licensing Librarian, filled by Janice Pilch (Scholarly communications Librarian was a piece of this position, and PlanCo will determine whether this part of the previous position needs to remain on the "wishlist").
5. New Business
- One of the main goals for Planning and Coordinating this year is to review the organization of Scholarly Communication at RUL. This year there is a better sense of opportunities in scholarly communication and many individuals want to be involved. There needs to be a map of scholarly communication responsibilities throughout RUL to determine who should have primary responsibilities. An environmental scan of peer and aspirant institutions will help in determining how we may wish to organize ourselves and evolve the Committee on Scholarly communication. A group has been formed to determine where RUL is with scholarly communications now. This group will present information for discussion at the November PlanCo meeting.
- Initial planning has begun for the November faculty meeting including ideas for the program, and a speaker needs to be identified.
6. Report of the University Librarian, Marianne Gaunt
- It was noted that 7 RUL librarians are on various committees for the University Strategic Planning.
- At a recent strategic planning retreat, President Barchi released data comparing RU standing to our peer and aspirant institutions. RU's ranking each year over the last five years is declining. We are strong in the humanities (English, History, etc…) and in social sciences (communication and library science, and social work), but lower than we wish in the life sciences, and engineering.
- CIC joint purchasing decisions will be made by December 1. It will probably include serials back files and historical monographs in digital packages. The Google digitization of library collections project. We will know in November what RUL might want to contribute to the Google/CIC digitization of library collections. Google may place lower emphasis on digitizing library collections because it need 1M items in the queue/year, and our additions may overlap with other CIC collections.
- The upcoming Rutgers 250th Anniversary Celebration committees have formed. SCUA is assisting other units by providing materials from our files. We are planning our own projects. There will also be merchandising opportunities.
- All are encouraged to attend the upcoming presentations by candidates for the Undergraduate Experience Librarian position.
- Congratulations go to the IJS video that was mentioned in a recent Rutgers Today issue.
7. Summary of meeting outcomes; future agenda items
- Planning and Coordinating will review the committees charge. July and the September minutes need to be approved. A faculty "wishlist" will be created and the previous list will be analyzed. A map of Scholarly Communications will be created for discussion for the November faculty meeting.
Minutes recorded by Krista White and submitted by Art Librarian and Faculty Secretary, Megan Lotts