Minutes of October 30, 2013 Meeting
- Marianne Gaunt (University Librarian), Laura Mullen (Faculty Coordinator), Jeanne Boyle, Julie Still, Vibiana Cvetkovic, Jim Niessen, Caryn Radick, Kevin Mulcahy, Krista White, Judith Cohn (RBHS), Thomas Glynn, Megan Lotts (Faculty Secretary)
- Triveni Kuchi (Deputy Faculty Coordinator), Ka-Neng Au
1. Meeting called to order (LBM) 9:34am
- Agenda change to remove from old business " Finalize revised Planning and Coordinating Committee charge/membership"
- Added to the agenda a discussion of a resolution for NTT faculty lead by Thomas Glynn
- Agenda Adopted
2. Report of the Faculty Coordinator (LBM, 10 mins.)
- At the next Planning and Coordinating meeting, (PlanCo) will further discuss the way "scholarly communication" is organized
in the Libraries. This work will include creating a concept map to outline connections across RUL to help define who should be
involved and at what level. A small PlanCo subgroup met yesterday to start outlining our current "organization." Today's
discussion will focus only on the Committee on Scholarly Communication (CSC).
- Each committee member is asked to gather a wish list of faculty positions for a discussion in December. Please bring ideas
to the Nov. PlanCo meeting.
- A question has been raised about the RUL LEAD committee's charge and membership (clarified last year). We need to make sure
all changes were actually put into documentation.
- The minutes from the July and September Plan Co meetings have been uploaded, approved, and circulated to the faculty. Please
make sure to vote for approval of minutes. If you see the need to make any changes, please contact Megan Lotts, Faculty
Secretary. If changes are minor the document will stand. If there are major content changes a new draft and poll will be
- All reports of committees are due prior to faculty meetings and will be added to the faculty meeting minutes and be pasted
as an appendix.
- PPAC will be asked to revise the guidelines for documentation for tenure and re-appointment.
- Stephanie Bartz will now co-chair Rules of Procedure (RoP) with Vibiana Cvetkovic.
- Please attend State of the Libraries on Nov.5. This year's event will include 26 projects on display and the health services
libraries will be presenting on their work.
- There was a question of how long election results need to be kept, specifically paper ballots. It has been suggested that 2
years might be appropriate, and the RoP committee will further investigate this issue and report back.
3. Old Business (15 mins.)
- Resolution statement for NTT faculty negotiations- This process began in spring 2012 when all units were asked to submit a
report for NTT appointments, reappointment and promotion. Since the initial reports were submitted, there have been two
faculty discussions, research has been done, and a draft document created. Glynn asked Planning and Coordinating to endorse a
resolution regarding the negotiations. It should also be noted that RUL is not a unique group with this issue, no NTT
decisions have been made yet, but there have been negotiations. There was a suggestion to change the resolution document
language from "no job security" to "minimal" job security. Tom Glynn will bring materials to the fall faculty meeting for a
10-15 minute discussion and a faculty vote will be needed to take this forward.
- Discuss and finalize plans for Nov. 8 Faculty Meeting- An agenda for the fall faculty meeting has gone out. Following the
business meeting at 11:15, Felicia E. McGinty will present on the topic "Student Services at Rutgers. McGinty co-chaired a
subcommittee for strategic planning at RU which looked at transforming the student experience.
4. New Business (45-60 mins.)
- Scholarly Communication at RUL- There needs to be a discussion about Scholarly Communication at RUL as well as an analysis
of the role of the Committee on Scholarly Communication (CSC). There are many people that have an investment in this committee
and in Scholarly Communication at RU. It has been suggested that the committee could move away from the elected subject
representatives, for instance. There also needs to be a prioritization of what this committee should work on. There is a
question as to what level this committee should be. Should it be high profile? Some of the initial charges have not been
accomplished and perhaps another structure is needed. The CSC is involved in very many areas and it may be too much for one
committee to focus on and accomplish. The current committee structure may not be ideal. This topic will be brought back to
Plan Co after further discussions. CSC discussed this at its meeting this week in order to give input to the PlanCo
- E-voting for RUL Faculty Elections- Stephanie Bartz from the RoP Committee presented on E-voting for RUL Faculty Elections.
Qualtrics seems to be a good platform, and PlanCo did not see a need for net id logins. Once you submit your vote, you are
locked out from voting again. The results will be anonymous and RoP will look to see if Qualtrics can send a tickler to
individuals who have not voted. It has been suggested that RoP be in charge of elections. In February, PlanCo will look at
this further and plan for a discussion at the March faculty meeting. Electronic should be a more accurate way to collect
votes, and also a paper option will be left in the bylaws in order to have a backup plan. Thanks to Stephanie Bartz & Mei-Ling
Lo for all their hard work on making this happen.
5. Report of the University Librarian, Marianne Gaunt (20 mins.)
- Rutgers has joined Kuali, an organization that develops software for higher education. The Libraries are interested in Kuali
because the OLE project for an open source integrated library system is being developed under their auspices. We will be able
to get copies of the software to use in advance of its general release.
- Another strategic plan retreat will happen on the afternoon 10/30. Marianne will talk more about these retreats at the
upcoming State of Libraries. Questions that participants were asked to respond on included mission, vision, and values of the
university. There are 9 values including: Diversity, Innovation, Integrity, Service, Access, Academic Excellence,
Collaboration, Intellectual Vitality, and Respect. There are 8 guiding principles that form the basis of the plan, and metrics
will need to be developed for each of the individual pillars.
- Gaunt reported with Melissa Just on the recent ARL meeting. There was a major focus on the SHARES proposal for open access
to publications and data coming from grant-funded federal research. SHARES was a response from ARL, AAU, and APLU for
universities to capture these publications and data for the federal agencies as part of the OSTP mandate from the White House.
Institutions with robust institutional repositories, such as RUL will have a big role in this venture.
6. Summary of meeting outcomes; future agenda items (LBM, 5 mins.)
Guidelines for documentation for reappointment and tenure will be sent to PPAC. . Resolution for NTT will be added to the
November Faculty meeting discussion. The charge of Planning and Coordinating Committee will be further researched and brought
to next meeting. PlanCo endorsed e-voting and will plan a demonstration and vote at the March Faculty meeting. At the next
PlanCo meeting RoP will present possible bylaws revisions. All members, please make wish-list of positions to bring to the
Motion to adjourn and seconded at 11:37am
Minutes submitted by Faculty Secretary: Megan Lotts, Art Librarian