Minutes of November 20, 2013 Meeting
- Marianne Gaunt, Caryn Radick, Kevin Mulcahy, Judy Cohn, Tom Glynn, Ka-Neng Au, Jim Niessen, Triveni Kuchi, Laura Mullen, Megan Lotts, Vibiana Cvetkovic, Julie Still, Jeanne Boyle, Krista White
1. Call to Order
9:31 am by Laura Mullen.
2. Adoption of the Agenda
Moved by Kevin Mulcahy and seconded by Jim Niessen.
3. Report of the Faculty Coordinator (LBM)
- The minutes from the November faculty meeting are in the editing stage and will be circulated to everyone soon. The October PlanCo
minutes were approved, sent to the RUL_everyone list-serv, and posted in the PlanCo Sakai site.
- Caryn and Laura will work together on an environmental scan of how RUL's peer and aspirants structure Scholarly Communication. Jeanne
will provide the peer and aspirant list over email soon. This list includes both Public AAU's and CIC members. Five or six universities
will be scanned and this topic will be discussed at the January PlanCo meeting.
- Ryan Womack will attend the December PlanCo meeting to follow up with last year's research services report. PlanCo will do mid-year
updates on research services identified last year as "leadership" or "collaborative" areas for the Libraries.
- Gene Springs is leaving RUL and he was the LRC representative for social sciences. Generally the next person with the most votes would
take over the position but that person will be on leave in the spring. It was suggested that PlanCo find a new representative to step
into the role in December. It was noted that Karen Hartman would be willing to take over as representative. Kevin nominated Karen. Jim
seconded, all were in favor, and Karen Hartman will be appointed.
- CSC positions are still being discussed, and there is nothing currently to report.
- Stephanie Bartz will be present from RoP at this meeting to discuss changes to the bylaws.
4. Old Business
- Finalize PlanCo charge/membership- Previously there was one member providing "system- wide representation" with a two year term. The
new proposal is to have a dedicated Special Collections & University Archives Representative and a separate TAS representative each
serving a two year term. The committee would be adding a member and breaking up system wide unit's representation. It was decided there
was too much of a difference between TAS & Special Collections for one PlanCo member to represent both areas. This is a higher level
committee; it is important to have everyone represented. It is tradition that NBLF is a one year term; the NBLF Chair serves on PlanCo.
USC and LRC representatives to PlanCo are selected from the Councils themselves and not something faculty vote on. There needs to be a
representative from the Health Sciences and this topic will be discussed in the December PlanCo meeting. If there is a bylaws change
this will have to go to a faculty vote at the March faculty meeting. Mullen will bring the final membership list back to PlanCo for
- Continue discussion of scholarly communication organization with a brief introduction to documents pertaining to the current
organization- Two visual items introduced at the November faculty including the "umbrella" of scholarly communication services and the
"bullseye,"an attempt to show relationships between those library faculty with primary roles in scholarly communication and the many
others involved. There was discussion about membership and who actually has "scholarly communication" in their job descriptions. An
environmental scan will be done first before PlanCo discusses how we might structure RUL's organization. The goal is to evolve the
Committee on Scholarly Communication as well, and to figure out how to engage more with the university. It was noted that perhaps RU
students needed to be added alongside the faculty in the "bullseye" diagram. This discussion will continue at a later meeting.
- Gather list of new position ideas (for the wishlist) from members for discussion at December PlanCo- There have been many questions
about this wishlist and the intent for this list to have to have good positions fleshed out if an opportunity should arise. This
document will show what the faculty might want or need for future positions. There are two separate approaches to this discussion. One,
the position could be clearly dedicated to one specific emerging area. The second approach is to craft a hybrid position that has a
needed new area of skill and responsibility but also has liaison responsibilities. Below is a basic list compiled from all represented
- GIS librarian
- Distance learning
- Language responsibilities
- Research engagement librarian
- Inter-disciplinary librarian
- Center for excellence for science and medicine and digital initiatives librarian
- Second environmental sciences librarian
- Second engineering librarian
- Processing Archivist (Newark)
- Next Generation Reference and Instruction Librarian
- E-Science Librarian
- Bio- informatics librarians w/ focus on genome sequencing
- Systematic Review & Evidence Based Practice Librarian
- Nursing or Public Health Librarian
- Pharmacy Librarian
- Librarian in charge of accessibility services (Camden)
- Civic engagement librarian
- Librarian with responsibilities w/controlled vocabulary
- Librarian with Scholarly publishing responsibilities
- Librarian with scholarly communication responsibilities
- Cataloger/metadata librarian (Special Collections)
- Processing/Collection management archivist
- Electronic records archivist
- Science Data Librarian
- This list will be brought back to PlanCo for initial vetting, and certain positions will be considered for fleshing out into more fulsome descriptions. It is not too late to bring ideas for new positions; just send to Mullen.
5. New Business (60 minutes)
- Head, Access & Delivery Services, APP review- This is Judy Gardner's position and has been discussed in NBLF. Please
look to notes for the full discussion. There was a new bullet added to the job description regarding analyzing data. This is a
public services position and does not report to the AUL for Collection Development and Management. This is a high level position and
should report to AUL RIS. Kevin Mulcahy moved to endorse the position and Julie Still seconded the motion. PlanCo deemed the position
fine as is.
6. Report of the University Librarian (MIG)
- Felica Mc Ginty talk- Marianne had a follow up conversation with McGinty about student orientation with further ideas of how RUL
could/should be involved. There may need to be an emphasis on transfer students as they often get lost in the shuffle. It was noted that
are a number of programs for parents and perhaps RUL could host some of these programs. Marianne noted that rather than set up an RUL
student advisory committee that we can work with McGinty's student advisory committee with RUL as a regular on their committee agenda.
Over-all RUL needs to think further about how we engage in these campus wide events. Perhaps there should be an undergraduate library
- CIC Directors meeting- The CIC directors met in Chicago at the big 10 conference center. The discussion included
the SHARE initiative and the OSTP mandate. There was discussion on what CIC could do collectively to support this initiative. One
proposal was to try to get all CIC faculty ORCID identifiers; the NIH does require them. This may be on a future CIC VPs for Research
agenda when they meet and we hope the libraries will be involved. If we do this en masse there may be an institution range of specific
numbers. All members of the CIC will be asked to provide a record of all of our print periodical holdings so we can decide when and
whose collection will going into the shared print journal repository. Elliot Shore, director of ARL came to the meeting to seek input on
ARLs strategic plan. There was a lot of discussion about how much higher education has given to the commercial sector and how much can
and should be brought back for everyone's benefit.. There was a question of whether RU's commitment to the CIC is a long term. Marianne
mentioned there are agreements and that we are committed for the long term. There was a question about the fiscal commitment to the CIC;
Marianne noted that we have requested funding. Not all CIC libraries buy all content offered nor participates in all programs/projects.
- Cabinet meeting - Cabinet talked about the process for strategic planning. Jeanne Boyle, Lila Frendenburg, and
Marianne Gaunt reviewed our strategic plan to see how our goals and activities fit into the university's plan. Boyle created a document
that contains the results of the review that will be sent out to all the units; each unit will be asked to brainstorm potential ideas
for consideration. Cabinet will collate the ideas and then bring them back to everyone to prioritize. Plans for all university units do
not need to be completed until late spring 2014. Cabinet also reviewed digital priorities by category. It has been noted that we need
more people on the tech side and more people to deal with copyright. These priorities will be reviewed on a 6 month cycle based on the
current need and staffing availability. The most important point is that we need to have the necessary time and staffing to meet
priority deadlines. There will be an email sent to all of RUL with further information on this matter.
7. Summary of meeting outcomes; future agenda items
Caryn and Laura will work on an environmental scan of Scholarly Communication at RUL's peer and aspirants. Judy Gardner's position was
endorsed. The bylaw changes have been endorsed with a few more issues to discuss before bringing to March faculty meeting. A wish list
of faculty positions was created. The next PlanCo meeting will be on Dec 18th.
Motion moved by Kevin Mulcahy and seconded by Jim Niessen.
Minutes submitted by Art Librarian, Megan Lotts (Faculty Secretary)