STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of November 19, 2014 Meeting

Present:
Jeanne Boyle, Judy Cohn, Adriana Cuervo, Francesca Giannetti, Tom Glynn (Deputy Faculty Coordinator), Karen Hartman, Triveni Kuchi (Faculty Coordinator), Linda Langschied, Yu Hung Lin, Megan Lotts (Faculty Secretary), Laura Palumbo, Jane Sloan, Minglu Wang, and Zara Wilkinson
Excused:
Marianne Gaunt (Vice President and University Librarian)
Guests:
Yuhwei Ling

1) Call to order

2) Agenda was adopted with no changes

3) Minutes of the October 29, 2014 Meeting

The October minutes are currently in the vetting process. There is concern there is a low return of voters and this issue will be discussed at a future meeting.

4) Report of the Faculty Coordinator (Kuchi)

The search committee for the Vice President and University Librarian has been formed and the first meeting is on Friday December 21st. Please forward any recommendations you have to Kuchi. The LEAD committee will be removed from the library faculty pages and added to the list of University Librarian committees and task forces since it includes leadership opportunities for both faculty and staff.

5) Old Business

a) RUL faculty profile pages (Ling) - Yuwei Ling has been working with Tibor Purger to update the individual profile page development on Drupal. These pages are now ready for faculty to begin entering information. Faculty can login and start entering their profile information: www.libraries.rutgers.edu/login. Kuchi will send out an announcement soon regarding this facility. The process for entering information is quite intuitive, however, Ling has created help documentation which is located on the web knowledge page of RULhelp. If you have questions please feel free to contact Yuhwei or Triveni.

Brief update from Faculty Visibility implementation group- The subgroup on implementation continues to work on faculty visibility from the standpoint of how the faculty are seen as a whole. The group is currently working on 'Find a librarian' page and developing content for subject and other specializations list for librarians. There was a discussion on what this list or series of lists might look like. The issue of defining specializations and the current focus on subject specializations was discussed. The subgroup plans to create a survey for faculty input regarding this matter.

6) New Business

a) Review faculty committee communications, representation, and reporting of policies and decisions- Jeanne Boyle shared a chart that mapped the various committees and task forces listed on the Libraries staff pages. The chart was also presented and discussed at the Cabinet meeting. Links and flow between various entities were also drawn. Discussion about the components, connections, communications, and process took place. Policy planning and decision making are made at many different levels of the organization. Policy procedures and definitions, consultative decision making, were discussed. It was noted that given the number of committees, teams, groups, and the complexity of the organization, it can be difficult to sometimes learn about or understand how to make things happen within the RUL organization. There is also a concern about appropriate, timely, or lack of communication within and among the committees. Also, there is a lack of following the best practices for all committees. It was mentioned that the guidelines for committees can be found at http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/admin/policies/committee_taskforce_template.shtml . After a substantial discussion it was decided that the PlanCo will continue this discussion as a whole at the December meeting.

b) Review RUL faculty ballot language for nominations, restrictions, subject representation. - This discussion will be postponed until the December meeting.

7) Report of the University Librarian (Boyle)

a) It was noted that the university is moving into a system of three universities, instead of three campuses. Each university will have a chancellor. There will be an internal search for an executive vice president of academic affairs.

b) The New Brunswick strategic plan has been revised and the outcome is expected in January.

c) The new VP for Finance for New Brunswick, Mary Lou Ortiz, came and met with Lila Fredenburg, Abbey DiPaolo, and Jeanne Boyle. They reviewed the RUL budget challenges, and she appeared to understand the issues.

d) RU as a whole wants to centralize the university involvement in the CIC and has created a webpage that will be kept current. In the spring of 2016 the CIC will send a group of fellows to meet at Rutgers.

e) There was another report about RCM at Dean's Council, and we will request our budget in January 2015.

f) The Library hours in New Brunswick have changed and now the libraries require ID's after 10pm. Alexander Library did an excellent job on the first day and by 11pm students were prepared to come in and show id. On Friday Jeanne & Jeff Teichmann will meet with students to talk further about a petition circulating. These students believe that by asking for ID's after 10pm RUL is illegally denying access to our federal repository information. RUL will be able to provide access after 10pm to government docs, and it is suggested that users call ahead to the reference desk. Stephanie Bartz has made a note on her libguide.

g) Please don't forget to sign up for Marianne's farewell party.

8) Summary of meeting outcomes; future agenda items (Kuchi)

RUL faculty pages are now live and individuals can begin entering their individual profile information. Kuchi will send out a message to all RUL faculty and will include the RUL help link. The faculty visibility subgroup will meet to continue their research, which may include a user survey that will help glean information for their report. The committee will also move ahead with recommendations of the 'Find a Librarian' link. They will report back to PlanCo at a future meeting. There will be further discussion about the faculty committee structure at the next PlanCo meeting. There is interest in having best practices to better address issues about community engagement and how we can communicate more effectively as an organization. Under New Business B, the review of RUL faculty ballot language for nominations, restrictions, subject representation will be postponed to the December meeting. In December the committee will discuss core competencies.

9) Announcements/Information Sharing

The second floor of the Robeson Library in Camden is now open. There was a ribbon cutting in the library and there has been positive feedback. There are 14 group study rooms including a new reservation system developed by the Camden Law School. Chancellor Cantor is working to rebrand Rutgers University- Newark, to make Rutgers an anchor institution in the Newark Community. Camden has been using Rutgers University- Camden rather than the Rutgers Camden campus for some time. It's more aligned with what is happening in Camden.

10) Meeting Adjourned at 11:42am. Next Meeting December 17th, 2014.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/fac_coordinating_com/minutes/coordcom_14_11_19.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2017, Rutgers University Libraries