STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of April 29, 2003 meeting

Present:
Andrew Ruggiero (Chair), Stephanie Bartz (Recorder), Paul Cabelli, Ellen Calhoun, Bob Hosh, Gracemary Smulewitz, Diane Walker
Absent:
Suzanne Posluszny, Kayla Reichardt

The meeting was called to order at 10:10 a.m.

  1. Review and discuss previous meeting minutes:
    --The minutes of the February 11, 2003 meeting were reviewed and corrected. Gracemary will revise the minutes for distribution.
    --Item 3 in the February 11 minutes raised a discussion of the use of listservs and mail aliases relative to the various aspects of Marcive record loads and processing. The Federal Documents Cataloging listserv (feddocscat_rul@email.rutgers.edu) will be used for all future messages. Stephanie will update the list membership to include all those involved in the process, and send out an explanatory message about the use of the list.
  2. Review new minute taking procedures and template:
    --The new template for Collection Services meeting minutes was introduced. Beginning with the minutes of this meeting, all Processing Team minutes will follow the new format.
  3. Govdoc processing update at Alexander and LSM: --Andrew continues to process materials with shipping list records using previously established procedures. Processing of full serial load records has also begun. When there are problems locating tangible holdings at Alexander, the records are printed and the question referred to Stephanie.
    --Records for multiple formats of a single title are being merged by Serials Cataloging, so tangible holdings must always be checked.
    --When a record is received with an ALEX-DOCUS-PENDING location, but no holdings are found, it must be treated as a problem. The BibCat group will develop a checklist for searching for tangible holdings. Records for items that are not found will be shadowed and a note will be added to the 928 indicating "Investigated by [name]. No holdings found. [Date]."
    --Many Marcive records are loaded with the date cataloged listed as NEVER. The date must be changed to the current date once staff has worked on the material. Ellen will report any records she finds with the date not changed to Paul.
    --Andrew will create a single spreadsheet to monitor the workflow for processing depository shipments with Marcive. The data is being collected, but needs to be combined into one spreadsheet that will make it easier to assess the time element of the process.
    --Andrew and Bob have both been working on the titles in the reports from the Marcive serials loads. Work should be completed on the titles from one report before the next report is started. Problem titles will be referred to the BibCat group to be worked on in consultation with Ellen.
    --The Master List is regularly annotated to indicate which shipping lists have been received and processed in paper form. It should also be annotated to reflect the receipt and loading of the Marcive versions of the same lists. The date used for the Marcive lists should be the date the list was received, not the date it's processed. Andrew will print all previous messages about which lists have been distributed and give them to Diane who will annotate the Master List. This will be done on a continuing basis so that missing lists can be easily detected.
    --LSM is using the new DOCUS-MAP sublocation for maps classified with SuDocs numbers. Most are Geological Survey maps, and are being filed by series number rather than by SuDoc.
  4. Review of procedures surrounding the creation of "SERMARPEN" brief records:
    --A substantial number of depository materials for which there are previous holdings, but no IRIS record are being received, particularly in microfiche. A brief record with a control record should be created for each title, with SERMARPEND noted in the 500 field. These materials do not get sent for cataloging because of the expectation that a full Marcive record will be received.
  5. Misc. items:
    --The "Workflow for Processing Marcive Materials" procedures still need to be completed and finalized. Gracemary will update the latest draft and distribute it for further consideration.
    --The NB depository stamps have still not been received. Gracemary will follow up.
    --Gracemary will develop a flow chart to illustrate the steps for handling Marcive loads from receipt of the files from Marcive through the handling of review files and reports.

Decisions

  1. Beginning with the minutes of this meeting, all Processing Team minutes will follow the new format.
  2. The Federal Documents Cataloging listserv (feddocscat_rul@email.rutgers.edu) will be used for all future messages relating to Marcive.
  3. Records for multiple formats of a single serial title are being merged by Serials Cataloging, so tangible holdings must always be checked.
  4. Marcive records with a location of PENDING, but for which no holdings can be found, will be shadowed and a note will be added to the 928 indicating "Investigated by [name]. No holdings found. [Date]."
  5. The cataloged date on Marcive records must be changed from NEVER to the current date once staff has worked on the material. Ellen will report any records she finds with the date not changed to Paul.
  6. Work should be completed on the titles from one Marcive serials load report before the next report is started. Problem titles will be referred to the BibCat group to be worked on in consultation with Ellen.
  7. The date used to annotate MArcive shipping lists in the Master List should be the date the list is received, not the date it's processed.
  8. A brief record with a control record should be created for each depository serial received that has no IRIS record. SERMARPEND should be noted in the 500 field. These materials do not get sent for cataloging.

Assignments

GS - Revise and distribute minutes from February 11, 2003 meeting.
SB - Update feddocscat_rul listserv membership and send an explanatory message about its use.
PC/RH/AR - Develop a checklist for searching for tangible holdings.
AR - Create a spreadsheet to monitor the workflow for processing depository shipments with Marcive.
AR - Print Marcive messages about which lists have been distributed.
DW - Annotate the Master List using printouts from Andrew.
GS - Redraft Workflow for Processing Marcive Materials.
GS - Develop a flow chart to illustrate the steps for handling Marcive loads.
GS - Request acquisition of a NB Depository stamp.

The meeting adjourned at 12:03 p.m.

Next meeting, May 13, 2003, 10:00 a.m., Alexander Library

Next recorder: Paul Cabelli  [Backup recorder: Ellen Calhoun]



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/gov_docs_processing/minutes/gov_docs_processing_03-04-29.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)