Minutes of October 14, 2003 meeting
- Paul Cabelli, Kayla Reichardt, Ellen Calhoun, Suzanne Posluszny,
Bob Hosh, Andrew Ruggiero (Chair)(Recorder), Diane Walker, Stephanie Bartz, Harriet
DeCeunynck, Elizabeth Leister, Wen-Hua Ren, Gracemary Smulewitz, Melody Tomaszewicz
- Nick Reichardt
The group reviewed the previous meeting minutes and assignments
from the September 22 Docs Meeting. All of the assignments were completed.
Before beginning the first agenda item the group reviewed
and made several corrections and additions to the MON-NEW procedures.
- EC thought a sentence or two should be added to describe the procedures of claiming.
- It was discussed that although split items are listed
on both ALEX and LSM MON-NEW queries, there needs to be increased communication
between the two libraries to determine the location and/or the record of
receipt from the shipping list.
- BH will edit the procedures in light of the group review and have them distributed by email on or before 10/28
- BH will reformat section #4,D to be hierarchical so that the process is clearly delineated
- Add MON-NEW to title to match file names
- Add description to Split lists so procedure is established.
- For items "claimed and not received - make reference to #8 so record and report can be appropriately handled.
- Change "DONE SHADOWED" in Access report to just "SHADOWED"
- Add #9 to procedures "When everything is done notify S. Bartz to remove file
2. SER-NEW/ SER-NEW-OL Procedures
- Change word "reformat" in #1 of procedures to "run
query" and mention that the query will sort on the "Check Holdings" field
of the SER-NEW Table. The info in the criteria field of the query should
be "A*" or "L*" and "Split" in order for all the records to pass into the
query from the table.
- EC suggested that a note be added to mention that
sorting the records/material by the format note in the GPO item number may
be misleading because of the order that the item #s are listed in Marcive
- Other typographical and minor changes
will be added to the next revision of the SER-NEW/OL procedures which will
be completed and sent out for group review via email by AR on or before
- The group read and reviewed the Marcive Serial Processing
Procedures, which will be called SER-NEW, SER-NEW-OL.
- BH will add the active and inactive Kardex location
to the list of other locations to be searched on the "Powersearch Guide"
- GS suggested that in order to save time in our next
GovDocs Processing meeting, members should read and make corrections to the
MON-NEW and SER-NEW/OL and serials-within-a-series procedures before
attending on Nov. 11.
- Discussion ensued regarding the mechanics of
shadowing and unshadowing records, volumes and call #s. This issue came
up if Wen were to find holdings in DANA for a Marcive record for which no
holdings could be found for another hub. Standard procedure calls for a hub
to shadow a Marcive record with no holdings. It was decided that more investigation
was needed to see what information would display to the public when a hub
added unshadowed holdings to a shadowed record, etc.
- Decision was made for BH and AR to add the word "SHADOWED"
to the Monograph and Serial Databases on the LSM T-Drive when no holdings
can be found for the record and we have shadowed it from public viewing in
IRIS. Stephanie will investigate a method for extracting those records which
have the status "SHADOWED" into a separate database or excel list for later
review if necessary.
- A decision was made for BH and AR to update the Monograph
and Serial databases on the LSM T-Drive once a week or "whenever best suits
their particular workflows".
- A decision was made to notify Stephanie whenever
a monthly monograph database becomes completely finished (i.e. all items
have status of DONE or SHADOWED) and to notify Ellen when a monthly serial
database is finished.
- GS informed the group that a new policy is being encouraged
for members to respond to the group after a document is posted even if they
suggest that no changes be made to the document.
- AR/BH to type in "SHADOWED" in the Access files on
LSM T-Drive when no holdings can be found for a Marcive title
- AR/BH will notify Stephanie whenever a monthly Monograph
database becomes completely finished and Ellen when the Monthly Serial Marcive
list.(i.e. all items have status of DONE or SHADOWED)
- BH will update and distribute Marcive MON-NEW procedures on or before 10/28/03
- AR will update and distribute Marcive SER-NEW/OL procedures on or before 10/28/03
- Bib/Cat group will distribute updated version of the "Serial within a Series" guide on or before 10/28/03
- BH will add "Kardex" to the list of locations on the Powersearch Guide
- GovDocs group will review the updated MON-NEW, SER-NEW/OL
and Serials within a series procedures before the next meeting takes place.
Next Meeting –November 11, 2003 at ALEX
Next Recorder: Nick Reichardt, Gracemary Smulewitz