Minutes of February 10, 2004 meeting
- Stephanie Bartz (Recorder), Paul Cabelli, Bob Hosh, Elizabeth Leister, Andrew Ruggiero (Chair), Gracemary Smulewitz, Melody Tomaszewicz, Diane Walker
- Ellen Calhoun, Suzanne Posluszny
The meeting was called to order at 10:05 a.m.
- Review and approve previous meeting minutes:
--The minutes of the December 9, 2003 meeting were reviewed and corrected.
- Review procedure, and conditions for creating SERMARPEN brief records:
--The two page SERMARPEN guide was reviewed and revised.
-the SERMARPEN definition was refined for greater clarity
-section I.C.1 was spelled out to state that tmp-mono records being converted to SERMARPEN records should have the bib level changed to s, the record format changed to SERIAL, the 035 deleted, and a 500 note added
-section III.A was retitled "Non-periodical Serials"
-small changes to the language and format of the document were also suggested
- Review the practice and rationale of entering "MISSING" as item status for MON-NEW records:
--Items marked MISSING are those known to have been received but not found.
--Items marked SHADOWED are those that may or may not have been received but that were not found.
--Items marked DONE have been completed and can be deleted from the query in the monographs database on the LSM T: drive.
--A MON-NEW query can be considered complete when every item has been marked either DONE, MISSING, or SHADOWED.
- Unit MARCIVE processing statistics:
--Statistics collected at Alexander and LSM were reviewed.
- Review conditions for sending non-depository documents to cataloging:
--Discussed and referred back to MARCIVE Load Group for further clarification.
--The date cataloged for serials coming out of the review file is changed in the unit rather than by Serials Cataloging.
--Inventorying tangible holdings of online serials after de-duping and cataloging review results in extra work for the catalogers because record formats are not always appropriate to actual holdings.
- For accuracy of holdings and note fields, continue to catalog one title back for serials.
- Local units can delete full MARCIVE monograph records if it is certain that the titles are being treated as serials AND the records have a date cataloged of NEVER. Questions related to these records should be referred to Elizabeth Leister or Harriet DeCeunynck as appropriate.
- RLIN/OCLC need not be searched before creating a brief record. The item in hand should provide adequate information.
- When LSM completes a MON-NEW query, Stephanie will delete the records marked DONE and notify Ellen of the remaining MISSING and SHADOWED items.
- Local MARCIVE processing statistics will be posted to the NBL Collection Services web site.
- The serials de-duping workflow needs to be reviewed.
PC - Revise and distribute minutes from December 9, 2003 meeting.
AR - Update SERMARPEN Processing Guide based on discussion at this meeting.
AR/BH - Find out how to charge an item to missing.
AR - Post local MARCIVE processing statistics to the NBL site.
SB/PC/EL/GS - Take question about when to send non-depository documents to cataloging to MARCIVE Load Group.
SB/PC/EL/GS - Suggest review of serial de-duping workflow to MARCIVE Load Group.
The meeting adjourned at 11:45 a.m.
Next meeting, March 9, 2004, 10:00 a.m., Library of Science & Medicine
Next recorder: Ellen Calhoun [Backup recorder: Bob Hosh]