Minutes of March 9, 2004 meeting
- Chair: Andrew Ruggiero, Elizabeth Leister, Diane Walker,
Paul Cabelli, Suzanne Posluszny, Gracemary Smulewitz, Harriet DeCeunynck,
Stephanie Bartz, Melody Tomaszewicz, Bob Hosh, Ellen Calhoun (recorder)
Meeting called to order 10:10 a.m.; Meeting adjourned 11:30 a.m.
1. Review and approve past meeting minutes.
- The minutes of the 2/10/2004 meeting were approved without changes.
2. Review change in labeling procedures of the Congressional Serial Set
- bound volumes at ALEX (S.B.)
- Labels will be ALEX DOCLUS
- Inside back cover will be stamped ALEX DOCLAW US
3. Examine possible workflow alternatives for SER-OL titles (E.L.)
- The OCLC number retained in a root record 035 field is for the format
we presume we have. All other OCLC numbers are recorded in the 978 field.
We need to verify holdings before updating an online record. Elizabeth will
email Bob or Andrew with title control numbers and titles to verify holdings
in various formats. Titles from the SER-NEW and SER-NEW-OL files that reside
in the review files in Workflows might also need to be checked for holdings.
Elizabeth will e-mail Bob or Andrew for these. Note: these titles do not
appear in the Access files, as they were presumed to match an 010 field,
and were reported as errors from the initial load. But sometimes they are
not really a match.
4. Review SERMARPEN procedures.
- Minor changes were suggested for the processing guide. Andrew will
make the corrections and post the procedures to the GovDocs page. We will
continue to use the 500 field for the SERMARPEN note, as we want the note
to be overlaid. Other projects, such as weeding, may use the 590 field, but
this must then be removed from the bib record when the project is completed.
5. Report on streamlining research for MON-NEW workflow (A.R.)
- Andrew presented findings for the November 2002 MON-NEW file. 140 titles
were marked as ALEX; of these 33 were not Y 1 or Y 4. Of the 33 non-speciality
titles, 13 (40%) had both SLS tmp and full bibliographic records. It was
assumed that the full should have overlaid the tmp. Further analysis of the
problem is needed before a solution is proposed. Andrew and Bob will review
the Feb and Mar 2004 MON_NEW files, and present their findings to the group.
6. Review MARCIVE processing statistics summary tables for units (A.R./B.H.)
- The ALEX MON-NEW Summary Table was discussed. Modifications were suggested,
specifically to delineate what action had been taken before the list was
forwarded to the document librarian. Documents librarian in each unit should
resolve problems for titles in that unit; however, management of monograph
list is done by Stephanie, and serials list by Ellen.
- Congressional Serial Set bound volumes at ALEX will be labeled
ALEX DOCLUS and inside back cover will be stamped ALEX DOCLAW
- Elizabeth will e-mail Bob or Andrew when holdings verification is needed
to determine record format in merge situations for serial titles.
- Continue to use the 500 field for SERMARPEN notes.
- Items will be charged to MISSING in Collection Services when appropriate
(not in Access Services).
- All documents, except titles for which we expect MARCIVE records, should
be sent for cataloging as received. MARCIVE documents with priority status
could also be sent if needed.
- Titles in the Access serial files will have current control numbers.
The history of duplicates will be deleted when duplicates are resolved. SER-CNG
and SER-CNG-OL records will have the ocm number as the control number.
- Andrew will revise the SERMARPEN processing guide and post it to the
- Bob and Andrew will review the February and March 2004 MON-NEW lists
and prepare a report outlining their findings, to present at the April GOVDOCPROs
Next meeting date Tuesday 4/13/2004
ALEX Collection Services @ 10:00 a.m.
Next recorder: Bob Hosh
backup Elizabeth Leister