STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of November 14, 2006 meeting

Present:
Debbie Apgar (guest), Fay Austin (guest), Stephanie Bartz, Paul Cabelli (recorder), Ellen Calhoun, Roman Frackowski (guest), Bob Hosh (chair), Elizabeth Leister, Colin Liebtag, Natascha Owens, Gracemary Smulewitz, Neera Sondhi, Diane Walker, Steven Zahorbenski (guest)

Agenda

  1. Review October 10, 2006 meeting minutes
  2. A review of MARCIVE processing.
  3. A review of important MARCIVE serials issues.

Minutes

  1. Review October 10, 2006 meeting minutes
    • The minutes of the October 10, 2006 meeting were accepted with two minor changes but have not yet been distributed and finalized for posting
  2. A review of MARCIVE processing
    • TGracemary and Ellen briefly reviewed the history of the MARCIVE project at Rutgers. The current status of both the monthly MARCIVE loads and the unit load processing work was also discussed. Federal document authority records were also loaded into IRIS, but it is unclear who did this and how it was performed. Elizabeth agreed to find out more information about this process.
    • Since Harriet is no longer working on documents, there is need for a documents coordinator at TSB. Fay offered to consult with the cataloging dept. about potential candidates for this job.
    • TSB staff expressed the need for documents contact staff at the hubs. It was decided that Natasha and Bob would be the Alex hub contacts and that Neera would be the LSM hub contact.
    • After discussion, it was agreed that duplicate record and root format document problems would be sent to Roman via email.
    • Some cataloging decisions were reviewed. One was the root record status of US Congressional hearings. The hearings arrive as fiche, but the records arrive as paper format. It was agreed to continue accepting the paper records without performing root record adjustments. Another decision concerned monographic editions and URLs. It was reaffirmed that ‘editions stay with editions’, whether the items are print copies or are URL links to online versions.
    • It was suggested that the DTS hubs keep track of the number of document questions/titles being sent to mono cataloging in order to evaluate workflow.
    • Due to documents staff changes at TSB and the DTS hubs, the FEDDOCSCAT membership was reevaluated. Stephanie was asked to add Fay’s and Roman’s names to the list, and to remove Harriet’s name from the list.
    • Monthly lists of NJ Depository electronic titles are being emailed to various members of this group. It was decided that these electronic titles should be cataloged on IRIS. Fay will investigate this cataloging workflow.
    • [11:23 pm – Fay and Roman left the meeting, and Steve and Debbie arrived]
  3. A review of important MARCIVE serials issues
    • TEllen discussed the process of preparing the MARCIVE serial lists for unit processing. Part of this process involves the resolution of duplicate serial titles, and the subsequent updating to root record format by Ser Cat staff. Currently, all titles are ‘de-duped’ prior to unit workflow notification. Ser Cat staff brought up the possibility of DTS performing unit work on MARCIVE serial load lists prior to the de-duping process. After limited discussion of workflow considerations, it was decided to continue the current process. A group will evaluate this proposal in more depth at some future date.
    • It was suggested that a group meet to begin the cleanup and editing of the MARCIVE Serials Access database queries. Gracemary, Neera, and Natasha will meet together at LSM on Nov.11.
    • It was also suggested that a group meet to determine the unit workflow status of SER-CNG and SER-CNG-ONLINE lists. Bob and Natasha will examine these lists.

Decisions

  1. Natasha and Bob will be the Alex hub documents contacts and Neera will be the LSM hub documents contact.
  2. Duplicate record and root format document problems will be sent to Roman via email.
  3. NJ Depository electronic titles will be cataloged on IRIS.

Assignments

  1. EL – will investigate the status of loading of Federal authority records into IRIS
  2. GS, NO, NS – will meet on 11/20 at LSM to begin cleanup and editing of MARCIVE Serials Access database queries
  3. BH, NS – will determine unit workflow status of SER-CNG and SER-CNG-ONLINE lists
  4. FA – will consult with the cataloging dept. about documents contact personnel.
  5. FA – will investigate the cataloging workflow of NJ Depository electronic titles.
  6. BH, NO, NS – will keep track of number of document titles/questions sent to mono cataloging.
  7. SB – will add Fay’s and Roman’s names to the FEDDOCSCAT list, and will remove Harriet’s name from the list.

Pending

  1. Further discussion of serial list de-duping workflow sequence

Next meeting: Dec. 12
Place: LSM
Time: 1:00 pm
Next recorder: Ellen Calhoun
Back up recorder: Bob Hosh



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/gov_docs_processing/minutes/gov_docs_processing_06-11-14.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)