Minutes of June 12, 2007 meeting
- Elsa Alves, Stephanie Bartz, Ellen Calhoun, Bob Hosh, Andrea Lakios (via videoconference), Elizabeth Leister (recorder), Natascha Owens, Gracemary Smulewitz, Neera Sondhi, Diane Walker
- Distinguishing types of brief government document records in IRIS (Gracemary)
- Review and discussion of MARCIVE serial processing procedures: Introduction (Ellen)
- Review and discussion of MARCIVE serial processing procedures: Searching and matching (the Group)
The minutes of the April meeting were approved.
- Distinguishing types of brief government document records in IRIS
- Circ-on-the fly records: Records for government documents have the location (US, State, etc.) as the initial part of the call number, with “DOC” as the material type. The date cataloged has been changed. Circ-on-the fly documents should be sent for cataloging.
There are some circ-on-the-fly records with no barcode as Circulation had removed the barcode when the item was returned. Their status is now “on-order” though they should be in the library. Stephanie will try to create a report to identify these items.
- SERMARPEN records: These records were created for an item(s) in hand for which there was no record in IRIS and a record from MARCIVE was expected. Item(s) can be added to these records, but there should be no serial control record created. At the time of the meeting, there were 158 such records in IRIS. These records will not be overlaid by a MARCIVE record as there is no match point.
- A discussion ensued regarding inventory records. MARC holdings are being added at both hubs, but LSM uses a serial control record that is deleted if the title is dead, while ALEX does not use serials controls for dead titles.
- Review and discussion of MARCIVE serial processing procedures: Introduction.
The introductory document was approved with minor changes.
- Review and discussion of MARCIVE serial processing procedures: Searching and matching.
After a brief initial discussion of the document, the group agreed that the document should be reordered and revised by the group involved with this process. Information also has to be gathered about holdings in the ANNEX and how to deal with them. Bob will convene a meeting of the group (Bob, Neera, Natascha, Gracemary)
- Miscellaneous questions and decisions:
- Records with a date cataloged should not be deleted, even if the record is a brief one.
- Whichever library first adds its holdings to a new MARCIVE record (not a duplicate record) can change the date cataloged on the records.
- Is someone still manually deleting RUL holdings from OCLC as part of the record “discard” process? (Subsequent to the meeting, EL determined that Hala Issa is still deleting these holdings).
Bob will convene a meeting with Gracemary, Neera and Natascha to review the MARCIVE serial processing
Next meeting: July 10, Pane Room, 10:00 am
Next recorder: Diane Walker
Back up recorder: Elsa Alves