Minutes of August 9, 2011 meeting
- Stephanie Bartz (recorder), Paul Cabelli, Ellen Calhoun, Bob Hosh, Yoshiko Ishii (remote), Andrea Lakios (remote), Elizabeth Leister, Neera Sondhi, Katrina Zwaaf
- Bill Bejarano, Wen-Hua Ren, Gracemary Smulewitz
- Review of the May 10, 2011 meeting minutes
- Discussion of changes to DWS-MON load procedures
- Topics from the floor
The minutes of the May 10, 2011 meeting were reviewed and amended. Katrina will send a revised version to the
2. Discussion of changes to DWS-MON load procedures
- Elizabeth, Ellen, and Stephanie worked with Bob Warwick to revise the standards and procedures for loading DWS
monograph records. Records that do not match existing records now load into the catalog as new records unless they
lack the "|h[Electronic Resource]" GMD in the 245 field. The original procedure for DWS-MON records was not
sustainable given the large number of records that are received each month (e.g., in June 2011, 1314 records loaded
into the review file). The August 2011 load was the first full load processed using the new procedure. 1405 records
loaded into the Catalog as new; 10 records went to the review file.
Stephanie will now be creating 2 separate reports for each DWS-MON load - the first will list those records that
went into the review file, the second will list those that loaded into the Catalog as new. The latter report can be
used to identify tangible holdings and do recon.
- A new process has also been added to the monthly load procedure. Once all of the records (both serial and
monograph) have been loaded either to the review file or to the Catalog, an additional report is being run to
identify records that include deactivated PURLs. GPO updates PURLs with a note that begins "No longer available" or
"No longer valid," so the new report lists records that include "No longer" in the 856 field. 7 records were
identified following the August 2011 load.
Ellen and Stephanie will begin working through the list of records that have deactivated PURLs in order to determine
what action needs to be taken on each one. There are approximately 265 such records in the Catalog, a cumulation
from the past 8 years of working with MARCIVE. If there's more than one 856 on a record, and only one has been
deactivated, the deactivated 856 can be deleted. Corrections to 856s can also be done locally. All other cataloging
issues, including the removal of the last 856 on a record, should be referred to Elizabeth.
3. Topics from the floor
- MONNEWPEN records - Bob Warwick is producing a monthly report and Elizabeth and Stephanie have begun to work
through some of the records. The August report (records created before May 1, 2011) includes 321 records. The
earliest records are for boundwith titles and date back to February 2007. The current concentration is on cleaning
up records that are not boundwiths, although some boundwiths are being cleaned up in the process. DTS staff are
asked to make sure that any boundwith parent or children records that they work with are properly connected.
The change in DWS-MON load procedures has effectively eliminated the step that sets MONNEWPEN records to be overlaid
when full records are loaded. These items will now be caught by Elizabeth, Ellen, or Stephanie in the general
- Never/Pending/SLS - Bob Warwick has been catching up on the generation of reports that identify old MARCIVE records that still have a cat date of Never, still have a PENDING item, or that are still SLS records. Ellen and Stephanie will continue to work through these as time permits. Items that need cataloging can be referred to Elizabeth via email; physical items or additional information can then be sent upon request.
- Processing at Dana - DWS processing at Dana is proceeding smoothly. No major problems have arisen.
- NBL items sent to Dana - Several times in recent months NBL depository serials have been checked in and sent to Dana in spite of being stamped as being owned by New Brunswick. The first instance was an Alex Federal depository item, English Teaching Forum; the most recent an LSM NJ depository item, Annual report of the State Mosquito Control Commission of the State of New Jersey. Unless there is already an existing note in the extended information to indicate that an item should be forwarded to Dana, no New Brunswick depository material should be sent on unless both Ellen or Stephanie and Wen-Hua Ren have been consulted.
- Serials cataloging - Steve Zahorbenski has made great progress on both DWS-SER reports and older SER-CNG records in the review file. There are more records left than can be explained by the remaining reports, so there may be old problems lingering that should have been cleaned up previously.
- LSM serials - 2003 SER-CNG reports for LSM are almost complete.
Next meeting, November 8, 10:00 a.m., Pane Room, Alexander Library
Next recorder: Gracemary Smulewitz [Backup recorder: Bill Bejarano]