Minutes of December 6, 2011 meeting
- Bill Bejarano (recorder), Stephanie Bartz, Paul Cabelli, Ellen Calhoun, Bob Hosh, Andrea Lakios (remote), Elizabeth Leister, Gracemary Smulewitz, Neera Sondhi, Katrina Zwaaf, Jamie Maguire (guest)
- Wen-Hua Ren
- Review of the August 9, 2011 meeting minutes
- Discussion of Government Documents statistics keeping
- Discussion of CONSER policy regarding titles that move from CD to DVD
- Establish a new time and day for the Group meetings
- Topics from the floor
The minutes of the May 10, 2011 meeting were reviewed and amended. Stephanie will send out the amended minutes.
2. Discussion of Government Documents statistics keeping
- Jamie explained that ARL is revising their statistics, and this will affect our gathering of Government Documents statistics.
- ARL wants added microfiche counted per sheet as opposed to per item.
- For withdrawals, charging to BATCHWITH will not require any extra stat keeping, but if the item is not already in the catalog (ie - does not have an item line), stats must be taken manually.
- Ellen will send Neera an email when such a case occurs, and Neera will keep track of this stat.
- There was a discussion regarding Bob Warwick's microfiche stat keeping, and it was determined that more exploration will be needed. When this is figured out, the decision will be reported in a future Government Documents meeting.
3. Discussion of CONSER policy regarding titles that move from CD to DVD
- CONSER (the Cooperative Serials Program of the Program for Cooperative Cataloging) no longer requires a separate record to be created when an item changes format from CD to DVD.
- Elizabeth will add a note to the bibliographic record in these cases.
- If there are existing separate CD and DVD records for a title, leave them be.
- If GPO sends a new DVD record for a title previously on CD, we are reporting that as a duplicate record.
- As an aside, with the new OLE progress taking shape, Gracemary has pointed out that there is a movement to start cataloging formats separately, while we have been working toward keeping all formats of a title on a single record. This has not been reconciled.
4. New meeting time
- Our current meeting time of the 2nd Tuesday of each third month conflicts with Elizabeth's schedule.
- After a vote, the new meeting time is scheduled for the 1st Thursday of each third month, starting March 1, 2012
5. Topics from the floor
- MONNEWPEN records -Stephanie Bartz brought up an example of a title that has a MONNEWPEN record, an online record, and a print record. The concern is that we are paying for an item that we are receiving through the depository. Elizabeth mentioned that a way to determine whether an item is a gift is to check the Item Cat 1. Katrina has been moving holdings from MONNEWPEN records to full bibliographic records if Stephanie or Ellen find them when they review the DWS-MON file loads.
- SLS-Never Pending problem file - Ellen explains that there are records sitting in that file since 2003 that have not been cataloged. Elizabeth recommends that anything in that file that has been sitting for 2+ years should be sent for cataloging.
- MONNEWPEN from 2007 - Elizabeth asks if there are any plans to deal with MONNEWPEN records dating from 2007-2010, most of which are boundwiths. There are approximately 300 of these titles. There was some discussion regarding how much time this could take, and Gracemary recommended that Melody work on one boundwith per month, considering her heavy workload in other areas.
Next meeting being held on March 1th, 2012 in the Pane Room, Alexander Library
Next recorder: Gracemary Smulewitz [Backup recorder: Paul Cabelli]