Minutes of July 19, 2000 Meeting
- Stephanie Bartz, Ellen Calhoun, Mary Fetzer, Wen-Hua Ren
a) The GPC's charge, membership, and minutes are posted on the new RUL staff pages at http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/staff.html. The Annual Report will also be posted, and a list of useful links can be added. Wen will ask to have the Government Information Resources Research Guide added to the Useful Links page.
b) Ellen provided an update on Vern Gorochow's medical condition.
- There was a brief discussion about the possibility of applying for a grant from the New Jersey Historical Society
to complete the cataloging of the New Jersey Documents collections at Alex and LSM, as suggested by Rhonda Marker. The
group expressed interest in pursuing the project and Mary volunteered to help write any narrative needed. Before we move
ahead we'll need to gather more information on grant guidelines and restrictions.
- The custom message for Statistical Universe regarding RUL holdings needs to be restricted to 255 html characters
and cannot include live links. Mary will contact Valerie Arnett from CIS and provide a brief statement pointing to the
RUL SU Description page at http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/indexes/search_guides/stat_univ.shtml.
- A question was raised regarding the proper handling of miscellaneous documents sent to cataloging by someone other
than the relevant selector. All such materials should be forwarded to the appropriate selector for disposition.
- There was a brief discussion regarding the possibility of a recon project for cataloging federal documents. Record
costs seem to be relatively inexpensive, but additional research is needed to determine additional costs and related
details. Further discussion was postponed until Rhonda Marker can be present.
- Goals for next year:
a) Work on a proposal for purchasing Marcive records and starting a recon project for cataloging federal documents.
b) Develop a grant proposal for cataloging the pre-1984 New Jersey documents at Alex and LSM.
c) Promote Government Publications throughout the libraries. Discuss the possibility of doing workshops/educational
seminars (e.g. patent information, what's on the Web and what's at LSM).
a) The GPC still needs to see a printout of which documents have been cataloged for Dana and Camden, but not for Alex or LSM.
b) Water damaged documents from LSM may be returned this week. Ellen will assess the real damage/losses once the material is back.
Next meeting: Oct.3, 2000, 9:30 a.m. at TSB.
Recorder, Stephanie Bartz