Marcive Load Work Group
Minutes of November 20, 2003 Meeting
- Stephanie Bartz (recorder), Paul Cabelli, Ellen Calhoun, Harriet DeCeunynck, Elizabeth Leister, Rhonda Marker, Gracemary Smulewitz
- Wen-Hua Ren, Bob Warwick
Minutes from the October 16, 2003 meeting were reviewed and approved.
NEVER and PENDING
Reports listing Marcive records from August, September, and October 2002 that still have a cataloging date of NEVER or that
still have a status of PENDING were reviewed. B. Warwick will be asked to produce a new set of reports that includes ONLY
Shipping List records (created by Marcive, 035 tmp, cat.date NEVER). The report should have the following information:
Title control number, title (245), SuDoc number (086, 1st), item number (074, 1st), Library (list all), Home loc (of each
Library), and barcode(s).
- The Government Publications Committee has been charged by TSC to do a workflow analysis of Marcive processing. An initial report and recommendations are due for the February 5, 2004 TSC meeting. Final procedures are due for the May 6, 2004 TSC meeting. As Chair of both the Government Publications Committee and the Marcive Load Work Group, E. Calhoun has delegated the task to the latter group.
- The process being developed for the Alexander recon project has some points that could be useful in improving the Marcive workflow. G. Smulewitz will bring an outline of the recon workflow for review at the next meeting.
- To add consistency to the work being done in the units, E. Calhoun will consider using autogenerated barcodes for LSM maps.
- B. Warwick's workflow was reviewed and diagrammed.
- E. Leister's workflow (including work done by D. Apgar and S. Zahorbenski) was reviewed and diagrammed. The question of whether reloads of reviewed records could be done automatically on a set schedule (rather than only when B. Warwick is asked to reload) was raised, and will be discussed further when B. Warwick is present.
- The Marcive workflow is still incomplete because we haven't really worked with all the types of loads yet (e.g, SER-CNG-OL). Once we have, we should also revisit whether we want to continue getting all of the files.
- Unit involvement in the Marcive process will be reviewed at the December meeting.
Currently S. Bartz is doing the split (i.e., determining whether materials belong to Alex or LSM) for each MON-NEW load,
and each MON-CNG reload. R. Marker suggested that Marcive do the splits for us, but since the process should only be
temporary, it was concluded that it's simpler to continue on as we are.
Missing SLS Records
Marcive occasionally omits sending records for individual depository monographs even though records for other items on
the same shipping lists are received. When this happens, Jim Noel at Marcive should be contacted directly with a copy of
the email going to E. Calhoun. In the interim, items that are missing records should be double barcoded and sent to the
Nondepository items designated to go to DOCUSR or other Priority 1 location should be sent for cataloging immediately,
rather than waiting for a record to arrive for a depository version.
December 18, 10:00 a.m. at TSB. Recorder: Bob Warwick.
January 15, 10:00 a.m.
February 19, 10:00 a.m.