Minutes of March 28, 2003 meeting
- Paul Cabelli, Bob Hosh (Chair), Andrew Ruggiero, Clotilde Twagiramariya (Recorder)
- Review and approval of previous minutes;
- Review of the last version of the Redesigned Serials/Cataloging Worksheet;
- Discussion on the progress and new experience in the Marcive/Serials Postcat/Recon Project.
1. The group reviewed the minutes of the February 27, 2003 meeting and continued the discussion on items two and three on the agenda as a follow-up of the February 27, 2003 meeting.
2. Review of the Redesigned Serials/Cataloging Worksheet.
The one two sided worksheet done and revised by Bob Hosh was reviewed and an agreement was reached that it can be used for cataloging work.
It was however recommended in case of a Title Change: “to ask the Person in charge of Bindery (Ian Bogus for Alex) and (Jamie Maguire for LSM) to create a new ABLE Template for the New Title and to delete the old template for the Old Title.
-As for the “Sent to CAT Note”. It was agreed that the person doing the pre-cat work create a separate 866 with all the information about the issue sent to CAT, including the date and a note on the location for the Holdings.
Paul suggested to bring that question to the Holding Working Group for more details on the distinction between the information to be displayed to the public and other pertinent information for staff use only.
3. Marcive Serials PostCat/Recon Project
- The previous meeting discussed and made some changes to the list of the different steps to be taken while processing the titles in the Marcive Serials PostCat/Recon project.
- On the question of at what step to put the word “DONE”, it was answered “after everything is complete”, when all volumes have been relabeled and processed, after you have what appears on Iris as a finish product.
- About the time spent on the Marcive Project, Bob said that at LSM, he and Sabrina spend an average of three hours/day working on the project.
At Alex, Andrew is working on the project by himself and he works on the project mostly in the afternoon. He spent an average of two hours/day on the project.
- Andrew mentioned that his work would be easier if he had someone to help him searching the materials. He said that 50% of the materials have no holdings at ALEX and too much time is spent in the search.
-Bob said that he has no problems finding and the cards and the issues at LSM.
After the review, Paul is going to rewrite the Procedures.
- Paul mentioned that some brief records were generated without a class scheme (ex: LCPER, SHELVED-BY-TITLE, SUDOC, etc.)
He is asking that people doing the pre/cat work pay attention and make sure that the right class scheme has been entered in the basic folder at the time of creating the brief record.
- For titles still received both in print and electronic version, it was suggested to create a separate Control for each version when we are still getting both.
Next meeting will be take place on Tuesday, April 15th, 2003 at LSM