Minutes of October 26, 2006 meeting
- Susan Brower, Fatima Cunha, Paul Cabelli (guest), Sharon Favaro (guest), Bob Hosh (guest), Jean Madden, Jamie Maguire (recorder), Neera Sondhi, Gracemary Smulewitz (guest), Melody Tomaszewicz, Linda Zuckerman (chair)
- Dean Meister
- Approval of minutes
- Discuss proposed changes to the gift policy- SF
- Discuss title change notes for bibliographic pre-cat processing - PC
- Status of projects
1. Minutes not approved (?)
Never received from last meeting.
2. Discuss proposed changes to the gift policy – Sharon Favaro
- There was some confusion about the title of the document; what does “unit receipts” refer to? This
needed further clarification and investigation into why or how Unit receipts are sent to gift cataloging.
- A lengthy discussion pursued about gifts that are dropped off at unit libraries. Selectors must perform
initial evaluations, taking into consideration specific guidelines outlined in the proposed gift policy
document. Selectors must also fully fill out the appropriate priority slip, including clear instructions
for all handling (i.e. Duplication Priority and any special processing such as Physical
Bookplates/Virtual Bookplates). Material then should be routed to the appropriate hub (Science/Math
libraries to LSM, Humanities to Alexander and Dana/Camden to there local Tech. Serv. Dept.) for both
physical condition review and Searching of Iris for existing cataloging. There were questions/suggests
about who and when the evaluation for “physical condition” of gifts could be made and how to incorporate
into a routine workflow, especially at Camden and Dana. Further discussion with Ian Bogus is needed to
resolve but possible suggest was the creation of “evaluation” shelves in DTS (which trained bindery staff
can review) and in the local Technical Services department at Dana and Camden.
- There was talk about current imprints and how material/boxes being sent to cataloging should be
labeled: Address to: “Gift and Unit Receipts”. Sharon also asked that boxes clearly indicate what is
being delivered in order to process accordingly (i.e. Current Imprint, PRTY 1, PRTY 2) Adds or “what is
considered an add” came up again and it was decided that Sharon would meet with Susan, Neera, Melody and
Jamie to review more in depth.
- Sharon also asked if any staff in DTS were fluent in different languages: Fatima Cunha = Portuguese and
Brazilian, Iliana Bernal = Spanish, Bob Hosh = Hungarian, Gracemary Smulewitz = Italian, Clothilde
Twagiramariya = French, Neera = Hindi
3. Discuss title change Notes for bibliographic pre-cat processing – Paul Cabelli
- Group reviewed updated section of MARC holdings standards (old 852’s document). Focused on the new Pre-
cat sections which includes new |z notes and notes on 866’s holdings about title changes or temporary
locations of material. There were some small changes suggested for some of the wording but mostly all
were in agreement and approval of the addition. However, it was suggested that the end section,
“Miscellaneous Standards” have more explanation for under what circumstances they should be used.
4. Project Updates / Round Robin
- Linda assisting Susan on Waxman Project
- Review of phase one of the Serial inventory project and training for the second phase was conducted for
the NB unit libraries. Ready to begin 2nd phase.
- Bob working on fiche project
- Neera/Paul working on cataloging backlog and problems
- Camden continuing with Mono inventory
- Dana continuing with Serials inventory
- Sharon will met with Melody, Jamie, Susan, Linda and Neera about adds, after she meets with Mary Beth
Weber and Gracemary
- Workflow for evaluating physical condition of gifts, discuss with Ian Bogus
Next meeting: Nov. 16, 2006: TAS/TSB Time: 10 a.m.
Next recorder: Melody T.
Back up recorder: Linda Z.