Minutes of May 10, 2007 meeting
- Susan Brower, Fatima Cunha, Jean Madden, Jamie Maguire, Neera Sondhi (recorder), Melody Tomaszewicz, Linda Zuckerman (chair)
- Dean Meister
- Approval of minutes from March
- Discuss meeting held with DBM group
- Discuss LOCALMAINT
- Update of Serials Inventory Project
- Current Marc Holdings
- Bound over Current
- Discuss time change of Holdings meeting
- Status of Projects we are all working on
1. Minutes from March meeting were approved.
Linda will send them to the DTS holdings group, and will ask Yasu to post them on
the web page.
2. Discussed meeting held with DBM group
- Due to some confusion with long over due material being returned to the libraries but no longer having an existing Bib
record in the database/IRIS, Melody and Susan had a meeting with Fay Austin, to clarify who gets what material for cataloging.
It was a very productive meeting as they discussed a number of issues.
- Monographic cataloging is split into 2 groups.
- Monograph cataloging/DBM. Items that have existing cataloging records (Bib. Records) in IRIS but need a change or
correction made to it should be sent to this group. (Mono cataloging/DBM, TAS/TSB Busch)
- Monograph cataloging/gifts and unit receipts. All other monographic material that needs cataloging should be sent here.
- In regards to the new process for handling Long Over Due material here is what was discussed: Susan and Melody will search
IRIS for a matching record. If match is found they add to the record. For titles that do not have a matching bib record Melody
and Susan will create a brief record, add a CIRC note and then the items will be send back to the shelves. Due to the amount
of work and shortage of staffing to process this material it was thought that the books could sit on the shelves with only a
brief record and then according to there usage be fully cataloged later. This is made possible by the use of a CIRC note,
which indicates to Access Services to send to DTS after if returns from circulating. No 500 notes will be added to these
records. Andy Martinez is working on getting a standard CIRC note approved and will inform Melody when the CIRC notes can be
added. Andy will also set the defaults in J client so that these CIRC notes will pop up.
- Fay also brought up the possibility of getting a DBM user (or something to that affect) so that titles that are sent back to
DBM from DTS can be tracked and are not still charged to the CS users.
- Susan is now also receiving the CIRC ON THE FLY reports from Chris Sterback. She will now search Iris for matching full
records if one is found she will transfer the circulating brief record/item to the correct full record and change home
location back to its original status. If Susan does not find a full record to transfer to, when it comes back from circulation
it will be routed to DTS, Susan will then search again and if still no record is found in IRIS she will pass it along to
Cataloging. There was talk about if these items are charged to anything when they are sent to DTS from Circulation and if they
should be discharged and charged to some other user when sent back over to Cataloging (possibly DBM user discussed earlier??).
These matters need more discussion and brainstorming at larger forums.
- Jean had a question with the monograph recon inventory at Camden. She is creating brief records, changing home location of
the book to TESERV but not adding any 500 notes and sending the books back to the shelves. Melody will check with Gracemary to
see what can be done about this and the possibility of using a 500 note to flag for the future.
- There was a brief conversation to update the group in regards to Cataloging updating root records.
3. Discuss LOCALMAINT
- Melody informed the group that Andy had added LOCALMAINT procedures to the Access Services web page for the staff to process
books to send to DTS. Melody will send out the web address to the Holdings Group.
4. Update of Serials Inventory Project
- Current Marc Holdings:
Melody has updated the PowerPoint on how to create a no frills serial control for ceased and cancelled titles. Slides 48-53
explain this change if there is an existing Marc Holdings statement.
- Bound over current:
If you come across a title that has bound above the current, it is much easier to fix these records before the inventory is
done. Send the printout of this title to Susan or Melody and they will have it corrected.
5. Discuss time change of Holdings meeting
- Dean has conflict with the timing of the meeting, so it was proposed that we change the meeting time from morning to
afternoon on the first Thursday of the month. Linda will check with Dean and the availability of the rooms for future
6. Status of projects we are all working on
- Jamie is working on the CS user list and with Yasu on the AlexBind overdue list. She is searching these items that were
charged to CSLSM user for a long time. She is also working out an approach for the DANABind overdue list.
- Jean working on the Monograph Inventory Project.
- Melody is searching/working on a list from Andy for items charged to LSMWEED for a long time.
- Susan told us that Art library has finished with the second phase of the Serials Inventory project, except for titles that
are fragile and need Jamie to evaluate.
- Neera working on the weeding project, processing 500-600 books a month.
- Linda busy with routine work
- Fatima routine work going smooth.
- Melody will send to the group procedures to create a brief record for long over due items.
- Melody will send the address for Access Services web page to the group
- Linda to follow up with the meeting time change and availability of rooms
- Jamie visit Art
- Jamie find out about Mold remediation books (who is stamping and who should be adding 500 note to bib record)
Next meeting: To be announced
Next recorder: Dean Meister
Back up recorder: Melody Tomaszewicz