Minutes of November 9, 2007 meeting
- Susan Brower, Fatima Cunha, Jean Madden, Jamie Maguire (recorder), Neera Sondhi, Melody Tomaszewicz, Linda Zuckerman (chair)
- Dean Meister
- Approve Minutes
- Discuss Shadowed Records
- Current Projects/Info Sharing
1. Approved October minutes
2. Discuss Shadowed records
- The Add Brief Title wizard is delivered by SirsiDynix to be globally set to shadow records at the title level. So circ-on-the-
fly (COTF) records created using this wizard will be shadowed. This was a conscious decision made at the request of reference
librarians. Reference librarians questioned the quality of the brief records being created and believed it was more beneficial to
patrons if they were shadowed from IRIS, especially since COTF records should be upgraded quickly by DTS or cataloging. However,
we have learned that some of the unit libraries had changed this property and were not shadowing COTF records and this may have
contributed to the mixture of shadowed and unshadowed records in Unicorn. It is there for critical that all DTS staff remain aware
of the shadow status, reviewing the status at all three levels (Title, Call number, Item) and change when necessary.
- Group then reviewed all Unicorn locations that are automatically shadowed:
- Question was asked about LOST-REPLA: If there is only one item on a Full record that is charged to LOST-REPLA, which shadows the
whole title, then when another item is added (the replacement) is the title still shadowed? Could not be answered at the meeting,
needed more investigation.
- Due to time constraints further discussion on Shadowed records was tabled for the next meeting.
3. Info sharing
- Linda working on adds/gifts from Kayo for Douglass, Alex and some Art. Also having students do some barcoding for Inventory
- Susan working on Alex bound PER transfer to Annex or withdraws
- Melody working on getting rid of withdrawn titles from Chemistry. Also hoping to get answers about Long Over due titles that
need to be sent to DBM
- Neera working on title changes, MARCIVE, Dana controls for depository and weeding list pulling has resumed.
- Jamie busy assuring routine Bindery/Processing work doesn’t fall behind due to vacant position at Alexander. Also continuing to
review Newark Dana Serials Inventory project as well as some Government Documents work Andrea is working on.
- Jean business as usual
- Fatima still working on serials inventory and routine work as usual.
- Melody try to get answers about Long Over Due titles DTS is holding, need to send to Cat/DBM
- Further discussion of Shadowed records.
Next meeting: January 17, 2008
Alex Heyer Conference room
Time: 10 am
Next recorder: Dean Meister
Back up recorder: Neera Sondhi