Minutes of January 3, 2003 Meeting
- Leslie Murtha (chair), Tricia Libutti, Rebecca Gardner, Bobbi Tipton, Theo Haynes, Eileen Stec (recorder)
Donna Wertheimer (virtually). Sabine Rauchmann (guest).
Minutes from the November meeting were discussed, additions and changes were made. Corrected minutes will be emailed,
then approved and posted.
The December ISC meeting was cancelled due to bad weather conditions.
- A position has been developed for a programmer for Public Services who's work will cover many projects, including
- LM will be working with JEB on LM will be working with JEB on tutorials for writing a research paper in the vein of
"how do I" tutorials.
- The VALE Shared Iinformation Literacy subcommittee will spend January developing a model for a shared tutorial. The
topic will be "understanding citations".
- DANA has installed their new electronic classroom. The new flat-panel displays are working well in a classroom
- The committee members shared comments that the large screen display in the ALEX IHL's is appreciated by the students.
- Shaping a Life will give us electronic copies of all the students' final projects. The plan is to use anonymous papers
(no student names will be required or kept) and analyze use of citations to determine what library research skills
students have learned.
- DW also echoed the improved instruction ambiance using flat screens in classrooms.
Planning update for the 50-minute instructor series. An outline was distributed to the committee and discussed,
generally. The group will meet Jan 17th to firm up the shape of the workshop Spring, 2003.
Library instruction curriculum materials repository. LM will be moving forward with this project this Spring. As the
form of the repository is developed we can add complexity in the form of searching & sustainability.
PL has asked that committee members complete the entry form and test the entry capabilities of a VALE-sponsored
Funding priorities for instruction: continued the discussion from our last meeting. If you have additional ideas please
send them to LM
Mike Giarlo would like a group of instructors to test the NetOp sortware in the SCC.
Mid-year evaluation of the committee's goals:
Most of the goals are well underway.
The Instructional Service Committee goals for AY 2002-2003 are:
- Continue our successful collaboration with the New Brunswick English Writing Program
- Extend the program initiative to include English 301
- Modify program to address concerns of instructors and librarians
- Develop, test and implement at least one new instrument for assessing student learning
- Add at least one new online tutorial to our battery of online instruction tools.
- Add sample curriculum materials to the Faculty segment of the Instruction Web pages.
- Work with WAC to develop functional system for providing access to Finding Aids and other teaching materials
for students maintained by individual librarians.
- Develop a working model of a shared curriculum materials archive to provide librarians with ready access to
teaching materials for library instruction.
- Work with SCC and Systems to evaluate and select classroom control software that meets the needs of instructors
and is compatible with existing and future online delivery systems.
- Develop and implement at least one new workshop in the 50-Minute Instructor series.
- Explore models and techniques for assessing teaching in libraries and articulate a working model for RUL.
- Explore new ideas for promoting awareness of information literacy issues and educational strategies within the