Minutes of October 30, 2002 Meeting
- S. Bartz, N. Borisovitz, V. Bowman [via teleconference], J.
Boyle (acting chair), E. Calhoun, R. Warwick (recorder), M.B. Weber
1. September 25, 2002 committee minutes
The draft minutes of our September 25 meeting were approved with the
changes that Mary Beth got from several committee members. Mary Beth will
distribute them to the RUL_EVERYONE list and send them to Sam McDonald for
inclusion on the staff web pages.
2. September 25 action items
We reviewed the status of the action items from the September 25 minutes.
3. LIS meeting report -- Boyle
Jeanne reported some of the highlights from the October 3 LIS meeting that
related to IPAC activities.
- The upgrade to Unicorn 2002 (U2002) was discussed. We need to sign off
on U2002 by the December 5 LIS meeting.
- A new feature for us to consider is broadcast searching. In U2002 we
will be able to implement broadcast searching from WebCat to three other
- The minutes of the LIS meeting will be distributed widely. We will be
able to read more details there.
- LIS is considering whether to have a SIRSI consultant return this
spring. We need to get back to Chris Sterback if we have issues that we
think a consultant could help us with.
4. IRIS Guide -- Bartz
Stephanie is making good progress with the revisions to the IRIS Guide and
the committee wants to encourage her in this endeavor. The following
issues were discussed.
- Call Number Browse options, especially how selecting a Class Scheme
affects a search. We considered whether this section should have more or
less description. Since there is some uncertainty about how this all
works, we might want to talk with a SIRSI consultant about the options.
- We recommend keeping only ALPHANUM, LC, LCPER, and SUDOC as Class
Schemes in the pull down menu on the Call Number Browse page in WebCat.
- We will add a section on Status to the Guide since this has been
requested from some reference librarians.
- We discussed whether this is a "guide" for users or a "manual" for
librarians since each approach has a different level of detail.
- There are a few sub-locations that appear to be obsolete and we will
talk with individuals regarding about whether they truly are obsolete. We
recommend removing any obsolete sub-locations from IRIS (than thus from
the IRIS Guide). To start we will ask Judy Gardner about the old RES-1,
RES-2, and RES-3 sub-locations that don't appear to be used any more.
- Bob did a rough count from the http logs for the past few months of the
number of times that the IRIS Guide page was delivered from the web server
and distributed a spreadsheet at the meeting. It was felt that the page
was delivered enough (more than 2000 times each of the last two months)
that is was well worth our effort to revise it.
5. Brief records in Unicorn -- Warwick
Bob forwarded this issue from the minutes of the September LIS meeting.
The Cataloging Department is reviewing whether the old Geac circ-only
records should be removed from the IRIS database and Rhonda Marker asked
that this suggestion be brought to IPAC for its input.
- Ellen was an invited guest to give her insight on this issue since most
of the Geac circ-only records are government documents records. She
brought numbers from a 1994 report that Betty Fry did for her that showed
there were 13,947 such records at that time. More have been created since
then and some have been overlaid with full records since then. All of
these records are shadowed; they do not appear in WebCat.
- After a full discussion, the prevailing opinion in IPAC was that the
records should stay in IRIS but we also felt that we did not have enough
information to give Rhonda a recommendation at this time. We will ask
Rhonda for a report on the circ-only records that she is talking about so
that we can make an informed recommendation after a future discussion.
6. New IPAC member
Following her spirited contributions to the brief records discussion,
Ellen was asked to become a permanent member of IPAC. She agreed.
Welcome to the group, Ellen!
7. Display of non-book formats in IRIS -- Boyle
This was a remaining issue from the old PAC committee that we discussed to
see if it was still an issue that needed our attention.
- The former PAC committee began a review of the initial IRIS display for
individual records in each format. They only finished books and serials
and partly finished archival materials.
- We decided that this display review was worthwhile and, therefore,
still needed to be done for the other formats. We will add this to the
IPAC projects for the spring.
8. U2002 release notes -- Boyle
Jeanne passed out the relevant sections of the U2002 Release Notes so that
we could see what WebCat changes/corrections/enhancements are to be
included in the new release.
- We need to review these notes and decide which of the new features we
will implement in IRIS and how changes to the existing structure will
- We began to review the notes but realized that we could not see some of
these enhancements because our custom WebCat pages (which do not have
these new features included) get in the way. For our next meeting, Bob
will move the custom pages out of the way so we can see the new changes.
A message will be sent to the LIS group telling them which days our custom
WebCat will be unavailable so that they can let their testers know.
- One new feature in the release notes that we definitely want to try out
is the broadcast searching to Z39.50 sites. The system will support
broadcast searches to three Z39.50 sites. Initially, we'd like to set up
CRL and the two Rutgers law libraries in the test system to see if/how
this would work in our environment.
- We ran out of time and will continue discussing the release notes at
our next meeting.
9. Next meeting
The next IPAC meeting is Wednesday, November 27, at 9:30 AM.