Minutes of February 17, 2005 Meeting
- Stephanie Bartz (convener); Natalie Borisovets; Ellen Calhoun (recorder), Theo Haynes (remote); Bob Warwick
- Leadership and membership
- IPAC and WAC merger
- Walkthrough of changes in the test catalog
- Discussion of additional modifications including suggestions from Judy Gardner (also changes never made to WebCat that should be done in iLink)
- Table of contents in catalog records
- Pre-rollout timeline and assessment
Stephanie agreed to chair IPAC at least until iLink reaches production. Group expressed the
need for additional members, including someone from cataloging and another
instruction/reference librarian. Theo expressed interest in continuing to attend IPAC along
with V. Bowman when she returns from leave, and group welcomed the idea.
IPAC felt it was not necessary to merge with WAC. Two IPAC members (Stephanie and Theo) are
currently WAC members, so can act as liaisons if needed.
Bob has done the following changes in the test catalog:
- Linked the IRIS guide.
- Reordered and renamed buttons to match current pages.
- Copied wording for Self Services login pages to match existing pages and
deleted Alt ID option.
- Put current wording in "Review my account"
- Eliminated "change address" option from Self Services.
- Eliminated patron cancel and queue number in holds.
- Updated library locs to full language
NOTE: this still needs to be incorporated throughout
- Translated language codes to a list of languages that exist in the test system
NOTE: script will be ready to go for production, and will need to be run on a regular basis in iLink to catch newly added languages.
- send IPAC a list of current users in the test system to check Self Services etc. Eve, Ben, and Pam are just 3 possibilities.
- ask Shawn if the RUL logo can be redesigned to fit the initial page.
- investigate whether call number search can be done across libraries, and if there is a choice of call number type.
- see if EZBorrow can be suggested when all book copies are charged out.
NOTE: this can be done after iLink production.
- ask Judy Gardner for a list of links she'd like included on the "my account" screen (e.g., ILL and EZBorrow) and invite Judy to attend the next IPAC meeting.
Suggestions from the meeting for additional changes to the test catalog:
- "User Pin change" to become "Change my pin"
- "Reset query values" to become "Clear form"
- Add the navigation bar to bottom of page where appropriate.
- Develop a list of reasons for bills in natural language, as opposed to code.
For example: RECALLOVD becomes "Overdue recalled book"
- Add number search options to the list on basic search:
ISBN (omit hyphen); ISSN (use hyphen); Music number
- Right side box to reflect other search options, depending on which search is active. Choices
would be either: Basic search, Call number search, or Advanced search.
- Eliminate hot link URL from the search results screen, as only one can be displayed. 8% of
IRIS titles have multiple URLs.
- Actually display the URL in the item description, and change "a look inside" to "Electronic
- Add the request button to results for call number searches.
- Add the report error button. Add "locations/holdings" as an error option in the list.
IPAC decided to continue using codes for sub locations. Wording was too confusing and does not
match shelf labels. Also decided to leave the "as of now you owe" column for fine
Table of contents will be outside links through 856s. Since they are not in the 505 field, as
were BNA, they cannot be indexed.
Public comments will be solicited after Spring Break. Next IPAC meetings are scheduled for
3/17, 3/31, 4/21, 5/5, and 5/19 at ALEX Rutgers room.