Minutes of December 15, 2005 Meeting
- Bartz (Chair), Borisovets (Recorder), Calhoun, Shepard, Sun,
The Committee welcomed Li Sun as the new representative from Cataloging.
1. Meeting Schedule for 2006
- IPAC will continue to meet on the 3rd Thursday of the month at 1:30.
Meeting dates are: January 19th, February 16th, March 16th, April 20th,
May 18th, and June 15th.
- Stephanie will book the University Librarian's Conference Room with
videoconferencing to Camden.
2. 247 Field for Serials Default Format
- Tag 247: A former title proper when one cataloging record represents
several titles associated with an entity.
- No longer used; 780 and 785 are used to show the preceding and
- In setting the IRIS default Serial display, the goal was to display
the tags that met most user needs while minimizing the need to scroll
what would be in many cases extremely long records.
- Since the 247 does not display, a user searching for a specific title
may be taken to a record in which no mention of that title appears. For
example, a search for Renaissance News leads to Renaissance Quarterly
with no indication in the default display what the relationship between
the two titles might be.
- Since 780s and 785s do display in default, it is logical to display
the 247 as well. Bob will add to the Serials default display and to
Computer Files if appropriate.
3. Visual Materials Default Display
- This is the only format default display that IPAC has yet to deal with.
- Imprint information (Tag 260: Information relating to the publication,
printing, distribution, issue, release, or production of a work; Tag
261: Imprint statement for films [Pre-AACR 1; Obsolete]) is not
currently included in the default display for visual materials. Add 260
and 261 to the Visual Materials default display. [It was subsequently
decided not to add the 261 at this time per a recommendation from Mary
- Tag 521: Target Audience Note. Remove
- Tag 508: The names of the persons (other than members of the cast) or
organizations who participated in the artistic or technical production
of the work. Remove if OK with Mary Beth Weber and Jane Sloan.
- Tag 511: The names of the participants, players, narrators,
presenters, or performers. (Names usually also in 700 field). Remove
if OK with Mary Beth Weber and Jane Sloan.
- Tag 538: System Details Note. For sound and videorecordings,
information about the trade name or recording system(s) (e.g., VHS),
modulation frequency and number of lines of resolution may be included.
Remove if OK with Mary Beth Weber and Jane Sloan.
- Tag 500: General Note. General information for which a specialized
5XX note field has not been defined. Jane Sloan would like added since
this sometimes includes the original date of the production. However
almost anything could be in this field. Don't add.
- Stephanie will contact Jane Sloan and Mary Beth Weber.
4. iLink Progress (Status of Fixes and New Developments)
Due to other Systems priorities, there have been no major iLink changes
implemented since our last meeting.
- Highlight keywords. Suggestion that when a keyword search is
executed, keyword be highlighted in the record display. Not delivered
as part of Sirsi system. Sun Li will investigate other iLink libraries
to see if anyone has modified their catalog to do this.
- Redirect IRIS link and "New Search" within IRIS to "Basic Search."
Suggestion that since Basic Search connects to the search page
significantly faster than either the IRIS link or New Search, those
searches automatically be redirected to Basic Search. Bob will see if
it is possible to do this.
- Add direct link to Call Number Search on the "Search IRIS and Other
Catalogs" page. Bob will provide URL; Stephanie will take suggestion to
- "Unidentified internal search error." Natalie will email Bob with
details of circumstances in which this error message appears.
6. Information Sharing
- GL3.0 has been removed from the Test Catalog; we don't have the proper
version of Solaris to run it.
- Bob has written a white paper on using item type to reflect
circulation status. LIS will discus this in January, if approved it
will go to the Councils for discussion.
Thursday, January 19th, at 1:30.
Agenda item: Music uniform titles (Shepard).