Minutes of May 31, 2007 Meeting
- Stephanie Bartz (Chair); Vibiana Bowman (Recorder – attending via teleconference); Natalie Borisovets; Ellen Calhoun; Harry Glazer (Guest); Li Sun; Bob Warwick
- John Shepard.
Meeting called to order: 1:30 PM
1. Progress/updates since last meeting
- Report from Bob Warwick: Work continues on designated projects
2. More on page changes (Deliver/Recall, Request Article, etc.)
- "Deliver/Recall" page - It was suggested that a more generic term than "Volume" be used when there are multiple items available for selection. The committee agreed that the existing "Volume(s) Selected" line would be replaced with "Select the boxes next to the item(s) that you need." Bob will also investigate the possibility of suppressing "Rutgers System-wide Electronic Resources" from the pick list since it is not a valid option.
- "Time Out" page. There was a discussion about clarifying the wording for this page as it currently refers to the OPAC. The page will be changed to say: "Session has timed out. Please click OK to start a new IRIS session."
- There was a brief discussion of the 984 field in the bibliographic display. There is currently no name associated with the tag. Li will inquire into whether the field should be retained in the cataloging record. If the field is to be retained, then Li will ask that a name be assigned to the field so that it displays the same as other MARC tags in IRIS.
- MARC display - Bob will adjust the MARC display so that the font is consistent (font, color, and size) throughout the display.
3. Visual identity
- Harry Glazer attended the meeting to discuss the new visual identity for the IRIS web pages. Suggestions for placement, color, and size of font and wording for IRIS pages were considered.
- The top banner will be changed to the approved red with a watermark.
- The IRIS logo will use fonts that conform to those used in the Rutgers University Libraries logotype
- The Rutgers University Libraries logotype will appear at the bottom left of the screen and will replace the current graphic
Harry will make the suggested changes and send them to Stephanie to be shared with IPAC and
put in the test catalog where they can be reviewed for final approval.
4. LEXIS/NEXIS and Factiva links in IRIS.
- Links from the two databases do not go directly to journal content, but instead to the generic database search pages. The wording on the IRIS links currently reads "Full text available from xxxxxxxx." Alternate wording was discussed and the committee agreed on "Search the xxxxxxxx database for full-text." There are additional databases (e.g., Business and Industry) that have IRIS links that do not go directly to journal content. The new wording can be used for all such databases.
- Bob will implement the new wording on several sample records in the test catalog. Stephanie will alert Public Services Council of the proposed change and request a list of databases for which this wording is appropriate.
- Gary Golden suggested the following for consideration:
- The ability for the user to set the default search for a session. – This is not a known feature, and could require users to login before using IRIS if it's possible at all. Bob will write to the appropriate SIRSI Forum to ask for information.
- Move the search button on the Basic Search page to the right side of "library." – Bob will try this in the test catalog.
- In an advanced search terms are remembered, but everything below the search button (e.g., library, etc.) clears back to our default. Can IPAC investigate a way to leave everything that the patron typed in on the bottom search boxes? – Bob has been looking into this problem and is still seeking a solution.
6. Information sharing
- Discussion of whether US gov.docs. records that read both "Copy None" and "On Order" should be cleaned up. This problem is on the agenda for the next Government Publications Processing group meeting.
- Bob, Natalie, and Stephanie attended a SIRSI webinar on faceted and graphical searching.
- Bob and Stephanie attended a SIRSI webinar about "Rome," the next update due out from SIRSI/DYNIX.
- Stephanie attended Ann Montanaro's presentation on the Future of ILS.
7. Next meeting
- Next meeting is Thurs., June 21, 1:30 to 4 PM.
Meeting adjourned 3:50 PM.