Minutes of August 16, 2007 Meeting
- Stephanie Bartz (chair & recorder), Natalie Borisovets, Vibiana Bowman (remote), Ellen Calhoun, Valeda Dent (guest), Bob Warwick
- John Shepard, Li Sun
1. IPAC overview
IPAC members provided a general overview of the committee as an introduction for Valeda Dent.
The composition of the committee, charge, and past and current work were reviewed.
2. Review of upcoming changes to IRIS
The Libraries' website has been updated (8/16) to reflect the changes brought about by ILLiad
implementation. Corresponding changes to IRIS require a brief system halt and will be done
overnight (8/16-8/17). Visual identity changes will also be implemented.
The major changes are as follows:
- an interlibrary loan button linking to the new ILL/Article Delivery Service will be added to the black button bar
- the call number search option will be added to the black button bar
- the black button bar will be split into two rows of buttons, with the 3 search options on the top line and the other options on the second line
- the search button on the basic search page will be moved down next to the library menu in order to make it easier to tab through the search screen
- the existing request buttons in IRIS will change to:
Book Delivery/Recall (formerly Deliver/Recall Book)
Book Special Request (formerly part of Request Article/Other)
- a new request button will be added to the same area
Article Delivery (formerly part of Request Article/Other and now part of the new ILL/Article Request Service)
- the text of request and descriptive pages will change to reflect the new delivery options
- the banner and page footers will change to more closely reflect the Rutgers visual identity
Stephanie will compile a list of previously agreed upon additional changes that relate to the
request pages, so that they can be incorporated with the rest of the upcoming changes.
- Replace "Volume(s) Selected" line with "Select the boxes next to the item(s) that you need."
- Suppress "Rutgers System-wide Electronic Resources" from the volume pick list since it's not a valid option.
- Remove "(required)" from the pickup library drop-down box and insert it before the colon on the same line. Make the font red.
Book Special Request:
- Make the "(required)" on the User ID line red.
- Make the "(required)" on the pickup location line red.
The IRIS Guide and context sensitive help pages are being revised and will be moved to the
live catalog once complete.
3. New books test report
Bob produced a sample new books report showing all materials with a catalog date within the
two week period between July 27 and August 11. The report included more than 12,000 records.
The parameters for the next version of the report will be changed to retrieve a smaller result
set with a clearer display. The new report will:
- exclude all serials
- exclude all materials whose only location is Annex, Hungarian, Whitman, or TSB
- separate LC classed materials from SuDocs classed materials
- eliminate display of MARC tags.
4. Information Exchange
- The Item Type Task Force meets for the first time on August 27. Stephanie, Ellen, John, and Bob are all members.
- The LexisNexis and Factiva links discussed at the May 31, 2007 IPAC meeting are still awaiting review by Public Services Council.
Next meeting: September 20, 2007, 1:30 p.m., University Librarian's Conference Room