Minutes of October 16, 2008 Meeting
- Stephanie Bartz, Natalie Borisovets, Ellen Calhoun, Sara Harrington, Theo Haynes, Li Sun, Bob Warwick.
1. New Books List
Bob demoed the LC class list for September 2008. Some call letters like H (Social Sciences) and P (Language and
Literatures) with almost 500 titles each already seem too large. A maximum size for a group of 100-150 titles seems
reasonable. Some letters like U & V could be combined for Military and Naval History, because they are closely related
and very small groups. As we try to maximize the useful topic groups, consulting Natalie’s list by class scheme title
linked to call number ranges may help.
A separate SuDoc list was created because it is a separate classification system. Which list an item turns up on is
dictated by information pulled from the Item record, which does not include an LC call number for most federal
government documents at RUL.
We may break up some agencies to display at sub-agency level, because they are too large.
To break up the Electronic List, we could pull out government documents.
Bob will remove library and sublocation from the SuDoc list and create new LC pages using Natalie's subject list. Since
time is getting short, IPAC will review and discuss the new versions of the pages via email before the next meeting.
2. Symphony 3.2.1
This had not yet been loaded in the test catalog, so IPAC can not yet evaluate its impact.
RUL will eventually use pages from the Rev D iLink directory rather than the Rev C iLink directory that we currently
use because of new features that will only be available in the Rev D pages. Because of time constraints, the Rev D
pages may not be in the initial loading of 3.2.1. RUL can still point to the Rev C pages and they will work, and then
change to the Rev D pages later when staff have more time.
3. Review of pending fixes, projects, etc. (see attached list)
Bob will soon implement bullets 1.1, 1.3, 1.4, 3.1, 4.1, 7.2, and 8.3. In response to 4.3, he will add “If no pickup
library is specified, your request will be canceled.” below the box for Pick Up Library in the Book Special Request
form. (We can’t actually cause the form to be rejected if no library is specified.) For 6.1, Bob will remove the Search
Again option for now.
Since everything in a catalog record should be defined or stripped out, please report any fields in complete records
that you notice that have no label so they get cleaned up.
Stephanie will contact Judy Gardner about updating standard responses to IRIS requests to reflect new buttons.
A suggestion was made that more than one library be searchable simultaneously in IRIS. IPAC has investigated this in
the past, and it can only be done by creating preselected groups of libraries, with no library in more than one group.
This didn’t seem to help most people very much, so it was never implemented.
5. Information sharing
Sara Harrington attended as new member.
6. Next meeting’s this semester:
November 20, December 18
Next semester’s meetings:
Jan 15, Feb 19, Mar 19, Apr 16, May 21, Jun 18
Recorder: Sun 11-20, Bartz 12-18
Theo Haynes, recorder
IRIS fixes, projects, etc. not yet completed as of October 2008
- 1.1 Replace “OK” with "CONTINUE", making it bigger and bolder and more obviously clickable. The "OK" appears on action confirmation pages, such as the request confirmation page.
- 1.2 Change text on error reporting confirmation page from “Your request has been placed. OK” to something more logical.
- 1.3 On the session timeout screen, replace the word OPAC with IRIS (i.e., Session has timed out. Please click OK to start a new IRIS session.)
- 1.4 Change the message that appears when a user enters their login to My Account incorrectly. Currently “Access Control Failure - Access denied.” Change to “Login incorrect. Please try again.”
- 1.5 Need to clarify language for requests/holds. (e.g., The word “hold” is never mentioned when material is being requested, but follow-up email and my account information use the term.)
2. MARKED ITEMS
- 2.1 Add “Mark” button to records on Call Number Search results list pages.
- 2.2 Provide a subject line option for Marked Records that are being emailed.
- 2.3 Make item line column headings (and content) on “Marked” records match IRIS catalog display. (Marked= [library] CALL NUMBER COPY TYPE-CIRCULATE? LOCATION; IRIS= [library] Type-Circulate? Sub-location Status)
3. RECORDS/RECORD DISPLAYS
- 3.1 Find out whether 984 field can be stripped out. If not, give the field a name. (See “Writing the Wayward Wife” for an example.)
- 3.2 Make fonts on MARC display uniform throughout record. (And why isn’t the 856 a link in MARC?)
4. REQUEST/ERROR REPORT PAGES
- 4.1 Add “type-circulate error” to pull-down on error report page.
- 4.2 Eliminate electronic resources from volume pick list on deliver/recall page. (See Journal of Gambling Studies for an example.)
- 4.3 Pick-up location is “required” on the Book Special Request form, but you can actually submit the form without specifying. Should we add another note in red… If no pick-up location is specified, your request will be (delayed or cancelled?). What actually happens when no location is specified?
- 5.1 Give Reserves search page a dropdown list for instructor, course number, and course name instead of separate search buttons.
- 5.2 Add Next/Previous buttons to the bottom of Reserve results and fix numbering, and/or change reserve lists to display all (more?) reserves for a single course on a single screen. [Latter suggestion may have been discarded because it would make all results lists longer.] [Did William & Mary figure out how to fix this?]
6. SEARCH RESULTS
- 6.1 Fix the Search Again option that appears at the bottom of search results. Remove it from the live catalog until it can be fixed.
- 7.1 On the Advanced Search page, add information icons next to the “type-circulate?” and “sub-location” menus to link to the appropriate sections of the IRIS Guide.
- 7.2 Redirect IRIS link (on RUL site) and "New Search" button within IRIS to "Basic Search." Basic Search connects to the search page significantly faster than either the IRIS link or New Search.
- 7.3 Implement broadcast searching to multiple libraries.
- 7.4 Put a basic search box on every IRIS screen.
- 8.1 Develop a new books list/function.
- 8.2 Consider an addendum to the IRIS Guide to indicate what fields are being indexed in each type of search. (Need a list from Bob.)
- 8.3 Move Rutgers logo/link further up on Basic Search page.
- 9.1 Investigate reason why Advanced Search will remember search terms entered, but options below the search button are generally not retained.
- 9.2 Investigate NetID login for IRIS.
- 9.3 Investigate search history option.
- 9.4 Investigate possibility of call number searching against multiple libraries.
- 9.5 Investigate possibility of adding a Status pull-down to the Advanced Search page. [May be possible since PENDING & IN-PROCESS items are now charged.]
- 9.6 Investigate “Nearby items on shelf” feature
- 9.7 Investigate possibility of linking to original language records for non-English, non-Roman scripts.
- 9.8 Investigate possibility of increasing the number of topics listed under “Limit these results to…” (to reduce the need for the “More” link).
- 9.9 Investigate Google Book Search API.
- 9.10 Investigate possibility of enabling text messaging of citations.
- 9.11 Investigate sources for French subject headings in IRIS.
- 9.12 Investigate possibility of changing subject links within records so that they go to a subject browse instead of only to items with the exact same subject heading.
- 9.13 Investigate spellcheck options. (e.g., Lucien – jaunter.com)
- Contact “A team” about update of email notices – Some notices being sent to library users are still making reference to the old IRIS button names (e.g., Deliver / Recall Book vs. Book Delivery / Recall).
MESSAGE FROM LIBRARY ---
Reply:Cancelled--You can now place this Hold directly
yourself by using the new [Deliver/Recall Book]
button found on the IRIS catalog record display.