Minutes of November 20, 2008 Meeting
- Stephanie Bartz (Chair), Natalie Borisovets, Li Sun (Recorder), Theo Haynes (remote), Bob Warwick, Sara Harrington
- Ellen Calhoun
1. New Books List
a. Bob and Stephanie did a demo of the current version for the LIS Committee.
b. Review arrangement and language
- Gray left menu bar only on main page.
- Subpages formatted as tables with alternating colors and bold titles, and no left menu. Four columns: Call number, Title, Author, and Publisher/Date.
- Change Publisher
- Change status to check IRIS.
- Open IRIS links in a new window.
- Rename page sections: Subjects (based on LC call numbers), United States Government Publications (by agency), Online Resources, and Media Materials.
- Move US Law Documents to United States Government Publications section.
- Regroup Language and Literature subheadings as an indented group under Language and Literature.
- Shorten "Art, Art History, and Photography" to just "Art."
- New working title This just in… New stuff in the Libraries.
c. Review breakdown of LC sections
- Further breakdown of LC classes will be postponed until we can determine whether the large groups are consistent from month to month. Bob will extract data for another month.
d. Review arrangement of media and online
- Bob will run a report to determine what types of material have been left out of the current structure (e.g., Are there other categories of material that we routinely catalog that use an alphanumeric shelving scheme?).
- Media and online will be organized alphabetically by title.
- Add more space between media format column and title column.
e. Next steps
- Write an introductory paragraph and text for the "About" page. Stephanie is working on this.
- Work with Sam McDonald on demo pages and consult WAC on arrangement and placement.
- Demo for USC and LRC.
2. Symphony 3.2.1
No problems have been identified with version 3.2.1 in the test system. Once the new books project is complete
IPAC will begin working on customizing revision D to take advantage of new features.
3. Information sharing
a. OLE workshops are being scheduled for December.
b. b. A small group is working on changing the patron identifiers used in Unicorn and eventual use of LDAP authentication to replace barcode and PIN access for My Account. Bob and Stephanie are both members.
c. Another committee is looking at what’s needed to implement user initiated bookings. Bob and Stephanie are
both members of the group.
4. Next meeting – December 18