Minutes of the September 16, 2010 Meeting
- Stephanie Bartz (chair), Natalie Borisovets, Sara Harrington
(recorder), Theo Haynes, Li Sun, Bob Warwick
- Ellen Calhoun
The agenda was accepted as submitted.
1. Review of minutes
The minutes of the August 19, 2010 meeting were approved with minor
2. Continuing Review of Rev D (particularly My Account)
B. Warwick continues work on converting the IRIS Guide to the new format
for Rev.D. Once that's completed, S. Bartz will proceed with updating.
We are at a 'tweaking stage' for Rev.D. B. Warwick has also placed
revised pages in My Account. There was consensus that the word "holds"
is largely (if not entirely) meaningless to our users, and the Committee
is trying to find a new word to substitute for it in My Account.
After some discussion, it was agreed that the "Checkouts, IRIS Requests,
and Bills" section of My Account in test IRIS will be changed so that:
- "Requests" is a section on the "Holds" tab
- The "Holds" tab is renamed "Requests" and includes these sub-sections:
- "Ready for Pickup"
- "Requests In-Process"
- "Book Special Requests"
- The wording on the mouseover for the "details" link is "Item Details"
The changes will be reviewed and discussed at the October meeting.
The Committee briefly discussed progress with the proxy, as it relates
to permalinking and "This Just In." B. Warwick will raise the issue
with D. Hoover.
The Libraries toolbar is partially fixed; basic search is fixed, but
connections to Amazon, etc. are not yet fixed.
3. IRIS Feedback
- EZBorrow needs to appear when all items are unavailable (checked out,
lost, missing, and so on). B. Warwick will make the button more context
- There was discussion of whether copies NOT on reserve should be
suppressed in the reserves display. B. Warwick will investigate to
determine whether this is feasible and the issue will be discussed
further at a future meeting.
- There are problems with IRIS displays in Windows 2000 and/or IE6.
Certain buttons disappear (in fact, it seems that they are there but
- Zotero is still not functioning. C. Mills wrote code for this and
sent it on, but there is no date for it to be installed.
- IPAC members should respond to S. Bartz's message to USC about the 260
4. IRIS Guide and checklist for testing software update
IPAC members should send changes/updates to the IRIS guide to S. Bartz
in short order.
5. Information Sharing
- S. Bartz is still working on an updated 'project chart' to capture
forgotten decisions, items that temporary fell off the 'to do' list,
etc. The project chart draft is currently two pages long (gulp).
- The Web Board membership has been established. Chris Sterback will
serve as the LIS/IPAC representative.
- One of the USC goals for the 2010-2011 year relates to IPAC's work and
concerns VALE investigation of open source catalogs (Work with IPAC to
investigate new open source public interface for VALE & RUL catalog.)
- Certain Chinese characters cannot be displayed in IRIS; this will be
The meeting was adjourned at 3:12 p.m.
The next IPAC meeting will take place on Thursday, October 21, 2010 at
1:30 p.m. in the University Librarian's conference room, Alexander Library.