Minutes of the October 21, 2010 Meeting
- Stephanie Bartz (chair), Natalie Borisovets, Ellen Calhoun, Sara Harrington, Theo Haynes (recorder), Li Sun, Bob Warwick
The agenda was accepted as submitted.
1. Continuing Review of Rev D (particularly My Account)
Changes to My Account, the IRIS Guide, and other areas are ongoing but not yet ready for review. B.
Warwick’s goal is to have some changes ready for review by Monday, October 25, 2010.
2. Project Chart
The chart which S. Bartz compiled from minutes of previous meetings was distributed and discussed. An
additional column has been added to that chart, which accompanies these minutes, to indicate progress
and/or next steps.
3. IRIS Feedback
- IPAC was asked to consider changing the hit list screen to display the first URL for each record so that users can click through to a resource without going to the record details. This has been reviewed by IPAC in the past. The suggestion was discussed again and rejected again for several reasons. The main problem with showing only one URL is that URLs from different vendors often cover different date ranges. Listing only one may lead users to think that the years they want are not available. Users need to be able to make their own choice of URL based on their own needs.
- Comments were received on the “weird printing” that one gets in some scenarios within IRIS. This item will be added to the project chart for investigation since IPAC thinks it is caused by Rev D.
- An “undefined page state message” is sometimes generated in IRIS. At a minimum, the language on the page needs to change from”OPAC” to “IRIS.” The problem will be added to the project chart and explored further.
- Results based on shadowed holdings show up in some search results (e.g., an Advanced Search for type-circulate code Database-N, retrieves the Corsini Encyclopedia and other titles that only display as BOOK-N.) Is there a way to suppress these? This too will be added to the project chart for further investigation.
- The Book Special Request link from the Book Delivery/Recall page was generating an error message(#msRequired field missing). The problem has already been fixed.
- A “Media File” link is displaying on both the results list and the details page for some titles. B. Warwick will remove this from the display.
- Call number searching by sublocation, for sublocations where the collection is small, may not work well unless you have a fairly specific call number. If the number isn’t specific enough an error message is generated (i.e. Sorry, unable to retrieve list, perhaps because of the search limits you selected. Try another call number or change your search limits).
4. IRIS Guide and checklist for testing software update
Ellen and Li submitted changes for the IRIS Guide. Others need to do so soon and include a testing
checklist for their assigned portion of the guide. Updates to the IRIS software are expected soon, and
IPAC will need to do testing based on these checklists.
5. Information Sharing
- Fields 990, 993 & 997 have been designated as junk tags and will be removed as records load. B. Warwick will plan to remove junk tags from records that have already loaded when time permits.
- Patch cluster 2 for Symphony 3.3.1 is due out in January and will likely just be installed. Symphony 3.4 will be available in late December, but won’t be installed until the Spring since Patch cluster 2 will need to be installed first.
- IJS brief records, 120,000 of them, are to be loaded from an Access database to Excel to MARC records. They include CDs and LPs. 102 are in the test catalog. Jane Otto will upgrade the catalog records.
6. Next Meeting
The next IPAC meeting will take place on Thursday, November 18, 2010 at 1:30 p.m. in the University
Librarian's conference room, Alexander Library.
7. Meetings for 2011
Future dates for meetings will continue to be on the 3rd Thursday of the month. For the 2011 calendar
year these will be: January 20, February 17, March 17, April 21, May 19, June 16, July 21, August 18,
September 15, October 20, November 17, December 15.
The meeting was adjourned at 3:40 p.m.
- Replace “OK” with "CONTINUE", making it bigger and bolder and more obviously clickable. The "OK" appears on action confirmation pages, such as the request confirmation page.--Implement
- Change text on error reporting confirmation page from “Your request has been placed. OK” to something more logical. (Is this the same "OK" as in the previous item?) --Change to "Thank you. Error Reported."
- On the session timeout screen, replace the word OPAC with IRIS (i.e., Session has timed out. Please click OK to start a new IRIS session.) -- Keep on list
- Change the message that appears when a user enters their login to My Account incorrectly. Currently “Access Control Failure - Access denied.” Change to “Login incorrect. Please try again.”--Implement
- Make item line column headings (and content) on “Marked” records match IRIS catalog display. (Marked= [library] CALL NUMBER COPY TYPE-CIRCULATE? LOCATION; IRIS= [library] Type-Circulate? Sub-location Status) -- Keep on list
- Add “type-circulate error” to pull-down on error report page.--Implement
- Give Reserves search page a dropdown list for instructor, course number, and course name instead of separate search buttons. (Do we still want to do this?) --Remove from list
- On the Advanced Search page, add information icons next to the “type-circulate?” and “sub-location” menus to link to the appropriate sections of the IRIS Guide.--Implement
- Remove 260 from serials record display --Take back to USC
- Provide a subject line option for Marked Records that are being emailed. -- Keep on list
- Add Next/Previous buttons to the bottom of Reserve results and fix numbering, and/or change reserve lists to display all (more?) reserves for a single course on a single screen. Button done. Numbering fixes not done. --Change to display 50 reserves at a time.
- Put a basic search box on every IRIS screen. --Remove from list
- Investigate reason why Advanced Search will remember search terms entered, but options below the search button are generally not retained. -- Keep on list
- Investigate possibility of changing subject links within records so that they go to a subject browse instead of only to items with the exact same subject heading. --Bob to seriously investigate
- Investigate possibility of increasing the number of topics listed under “Limit these results to…” (to reduce the need for the “More” link). -- Keep on list
- Can the 856 in a MARC display be a link? --Not possible. Remove from list
- Find out whether Reserves browse can work the same way as regular browse --Bob to investigate
- Make 596 (Held by) display in the hit list to show all owning libraries --Bob will look at. Perhaps use another field. Will come back for more discussion.
- Test linking from library name to a map of the library -- Bob to work on with maps already supplied.
- Consider an addendum to the IRIS Guide to indicate what fields are being indexed in each type of search. (Need a list from Bob.) -- Bob to supply
- Make single request button that later points to separate forms -- Keep on list
- Find out whether 984 field can be stripped out. If not, give the field a name. (See “Writing the Wayward Wife” for an example.) What about the other fields in this record that have no name or number? --Remove all junk tags from existing records
- Is it possible to display search limits set for a given search along with search results? -- Keep on list
- Can items not on reserve be suppressed in the reserves display? -- Keep on list
Features to look at
- Search history option -- Keep on list
- Call number searching against multiple libraries -- Keep on list
- Adding a Status pull-down to the Advanced Search page. [May be possible since PENDING & IN-PROCESS items are now charged.] -- Keep on list
- “Nearby items on shelf” feature -- Keep on list
- Linking to original language records for non-English, non-Roman scripts -- Keep on list
- Spellcheck options (e.g., Lucien – jaunter.com) -- Keep on list
- Enabling text messaging of citations -- Keep on list
- Google Book Search API -- Keep on list
- Broadcast searching to multiple libraries (Z39.50) -- Keep on list
- My lists -- Keep on list
- Permalinks (contact dave Hoover about proxy issues) -- Keep on list
- Adding IN-TRANSIT to holds list in My Account -- Keep on list
- Media booking button --Still working on
- Make Article Delivery more context sensitive --Still working on
- Make E-Zborrow more context sensitive -- Still working on
- Clarify language for requests/holds. (e.g., The word “hold” is never mentioned when material is being requested, but follow-up email and my account information use the term.) -- Still working on
- Create a testing checklist based on the IRIS Guide -- Still working on
- Update of IRIS guide for LDAP and new features/changes --Still working on