STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of the December 16, 2010 Meeting

Present:
Stephanie Bartz (chair), Ellen Calhoun, Sara Harrington (recorder), Theo Haynes, Li Sun, Bob Warwick
Excused:
Natalie Borisovets

The agenda was accepted as submitted.

The minutes of the November 2010 meeting were approved.

1. Checklist for Testing Software Updates

Ellen Calhoun pointed out that call number searches that begin with A are different in the live and test catalogs. In the live catalog, only LC numbers are returned in a search, while in the test catalog, both LC and SuDoc numbers are returned. It would be useful to know the order of LC, LC PER, SuDoc, etc. Bob Warwick agreed to look at this.

IPAC will be creating a checklist of examples that must work in both the live and test catalogs, plus an explanation of the expected result and the actual result.

2. Permalinking Update

A minimal response was received from those individuals who agreed to do permalink testing (one test was conducted on campus, one from off-campus). Call numbers didn’t behave properly from off-campus. Stephanie Bartz will send out a reminder to those who agreed to test and to IPAC. There were no major surprises in the results so far. There were problems permalinking to a search rather than to a specific record. We have to get permalinking to work as best as we can and then figure out what things it doesn’t work particularly well for. It’s possible that permalinking will not be available on certain kinds of pages.

3. Continuing Review of Rev.D/Project Chart

  1. Bob Warwick will make the text on the new “Continue” button on action confirmation pages bold in response to Natalie Borisovets’ feedback that the button should be ‘more obviously clickable.’
  2. Bob Warwick has continued to provide updates to the IPAC listserv about issues on the project chart. He also reminded IPAC members of some of the logins that can be used to make requests and view My Account records in the test catalog.
  3. There has been confusion among some users about some of the headings in My Account. IPAC is attempting to clarify what the various headings mean by collapsing some categories and coming up with a new term for “holds.” After discussion, it was concluded that “Checkouts,” “Requests,” and “Media Bookings” will be the main categories. Now that the changes are in place in the test catalog, Stephanie Bartz will send a message to Judy Gardner to give Access Services the opportunity to comment before the changes are moved into the live catalog.

4. IRIS Feedback and Fixes

5. Counting Opinions

IPAC reviewed the comments on the catalog received through the Counting Opinions survey. Some of the comments were vague, some specific, but regrettably unfixable. IPAC will keep abreast of such comments; Stephanie Bartz will send a pdf of the document containing the comments to IPAC members for further review.

6. Information Sharing

Bob Warwick and Li Sun will look at the possibility of correcting the problem with initial articles in many old IRIS records. Li Sun will consult with Mary Beth Weber about the issue.

The meeting was adjourned at 3:10 p.m.

The next IPAC meeting will take place on Thursday, January 20, 2011 at 1:30 p.m. in the University Librarian’s conference room, Alexander Library.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/iris_public_access_com/minutes/pac_10_12_16.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)