Minutes of the July 21, 2011 Meeting
- Stephanie Bartz (chair & recorder), Natalie Borisovets, Joseph Deodato, Theo Haynes, Jane Otto, Bob Warwick
- Ellen Calhoun
1. IPAC name change and charge
- The committee agreed that IPAC should be renamed the Library Catalog Committee (LCC) to reflect the renaming of the public catalog.
- A draft version of a revised charge for the committee was reviewed and approved. The revised charge will be forwarded to both the AUL for Research and Instructional Services and User Services Council for final review and approval.
2. Annual report
The draft version distributed to the committee via email was finalized and will be forwarded to both
the AUL for Research and Instructional Services and User Services Council.
3. Preliminary goals discussion
Activities for 2011-2012 will be finalized at the August meeting. Two activities (i.e., creation of
a testing checklist and ongoing review of feedback) will carry over from 2010-2011. Additional
activities will likely include working with groups investigating the new open source public
interface and reviewing the default displays used in the Catalog.
Working towards the ability to link to building maps from within the catalog was suggested as an
additional activity, but because this capability is dependent on the creation and maintenance of
maps, it was decided to once again refer the question to User Services Council. Stephanie will draft
a message to be sent to the co-chairs of USC. [Note: Subsequent to the meeting it was determined
that USC previously referred the maps issue to the Web Board, so no further action will be taken by
this committee at this time.]
4. Testing checklist
- Draft versions of several sections of the checklist have been posted to the LibGuide used for committee workspace. All sections should be completed prior to the next meeting.
- Joseph will take over creation of the checklist for the My Account section of the Catalog.
5. Continuing review of Rev.D / Project Chart
- The changes needed to accommodate the name change from IRIS to Library Catalog were put in place on June 30th. The project chart has already been updated.
- The changes previously decided on for the "This just in…" pages are almost complete. Stephanie will update the Project Chart accordingly and distribute a new version to the committee.
6. IRIS feedback and fixes
- During the development of the testing checklist for the search results pages a series of questions/issues were raised:
- Could the "return to results" link that appears when search results are modified (e.g, using "Limit these results to…") be changed to something more prominent so that it's more obvious to users? Bob will look into creating a black button similar to the "Mark all titles on this page" button.
- The "return to results" link takes you back to the original search results, but the "Try these too…" option is no longer available at that point. Bob will investigate.
- Selecting "No" for the "holdings" section of the Change Display page needs to be better explained in the User Guide. The option removes MARC holdings from the display, but does not affect item lines. Stephanie will update the User Guide.
- When an incorrect volume statement is entered in the "specific volume number" section of the Change Display page, the Continue button on the "Volume not found in library" screen allows you to return to the search results, but selecting the title from within those results loops you back to the "Volume not found in library" screen instead of to the record for the title. Bob will investigate.
- Comments from the most recent report on the Counting Opinions survey will be reviewed at the August meeting.
6. Information sharing
- No definite date has been set for the upgrade to Symphony 3.4. IIS recently learned that LDAP doesn't work in 3.4 and until that's fixed, we'll remain with the current version.
- Jane Otto, Jane Sloan, Stacey Carton, and Matt Gallagher are organizing a discussion forum to engage with faculty outside the libraries regarding the use of video in the curriculum. As part of this forum, Jane Otto will be working on a list of search tips for locating video in the Catalog.
7. Next meeting
August 18, 1:30 p.m., University Librarian's Conference Room
[Topics for the agenda: Activities for 2011-2012, Counting Opinions comments relating to the Catalog, and a review of the VM-Full default record display.]
7/22/2011sb, revised 8/3/2011