Minutes of the February 16, 2012 Meeting
- Bartz (Chair), Borisovets, Calhoun (Recorder), Deodato, Haynes, Otto, Warwick
- DeFino, Leister, Sun
- Discussion of MARC-full
- Finalizing VM-full changes (time permitting)
- Assessing what users want
- Project chart review
- Information sharing
Discussion of MARC-full
There are appx. 252,000 records with a 590 field – which is local copy specific. After ECCO and PDA
notes are cleaned up, the 590 will be added to the default screen (about 12,000 records will remain
the 590 in MARC-full). Bob will report on the statistics for records with a 246 variant title, by
format and multiple incidence. The 255, 261, 658, 931, 521, and 580 fields will be removed from the
default display for MARC-full.
Finalizing VM-full changes
Bob made changes in test system; Jane will recommend tag order display in VM at a future meeting.
Assessing what users want
Natalie, Li, Joseph, and Stephanie are on a USC subcommittee charged with reviewing user comments on
the Catalog. They have analyzed the Ethnographic study and will be looking at data from the Counting
Opinions survey. A brown bag was suggested to garner additional comments.
Project Chart Review
Bob is working on getting permalinks to work in more places in the test catalog, and reports some
additional limiters are now working in the test system. LCC members need to take a look at the test
catalog and do some testing.
- New books list now includes section for History-Great Britain.
- Booking information displays in My Account were fixed.
- The Reserves copyright notice now appears on the Reserves search page.
- A direct link to Media Booking from video records is in process.
- The recall due date overrides the original due date in My Account displays; LCC decided that instances where confusion might occur are few enough to be of little concern.
- Item lines display alphabetically by library (ALCHL is used as the web server library.), unless a user logs in. After login, the user’s library (often RU-ONLINE) displays first. Since Rutgers users are only associated with a single library behind the scenes, but not in practical terms, the reordering can cause confusion. Further investigation is needed.
- Need to change the results list "Rutgers System-wide Electronic Resources" to "Rutgers Digital Library".
- Question asked – can permalinks be included in citations you send to yourself? Further investigation is needed.
- The Web Board is looking to formalize communications with DIG and LCC.
- Access Services is looking for ways to improve the request system within the Catalog to promote the use of E-ZBorrow over recall.
- Preliminary Symphony 3.4.1 release notes are available.
Next meeting is March 15, during Spring break, in the University Librarian's Conference Room